Magellan and Garmin GPS

Will any of these devices work on the Philippines, specifically Cebu?  I assume i will have the load a different map but question is if there is anything out there..  Thanks.

Anyone?????

I wouldn't put much stock in a GPS in the Philippines...Even Google Earth has much of the designated tourists locations wrong...

Walterc wrote:

Will any of these devices work on the Philippines, specifically Cebu?  I assume i will have the load a different map but question is if there is anything out there..  Thanks.

I have an older Garmin Nuvi from USA and was only able to get limited info from Garmin.  You will need to get an account and try to download from Garmin International. http://ph.garmin.com/mapupdate/

Note: they do say the following: 

"The map is available to Philippines localised nuvi 2577LM, 1365LM, 2575, 1360, 52LM was purchased from authorised dealers in Philippines."

I am still trying to get a clear response on the "localized" term used on the site.   Good Luck.

Thank you.  I suspect it is Garmin's attempt to protect their local dealer by forcing people to purchase locally.  Whether there is enough intelligence in their software to detect differences between a Garmin GPS acquired locally or abroad I don't know. 

Thanks for the link.  I will give it a try.

I have a Garmin and picked up a map for all of Philippines from a store in Megamall.  It is pretty accurate for all of Luzon and has coverage of Cebu, but I have not been there to test it.

Is your Garmin a Nuvi and from US?

Yes, its a nuvi but bought from Singapore. However, my collegue also got a nuvi from Amazon in the US and bought the same map.