Bahrain experience

Hi,
I am a Dutch expat new to this forum. Work (and lived) in Saudi since 3 years and since 1 year living in Bahrain (Juffair) with the family. Moved to Bahrain so that my wife could own and drive a car and our family would have a kind of Western life style. It certainly has been an experience so far and among some good, most are bad and I would like to list them here;
1) To commute to saudi daily has become a nightmare and is becoming worse and worse with all the traffic on the bridge. VIP pass for VIP lane, forget it unless you know someone who knows someone or you are a diplomat.
2) Traffic in Bahrain is not much better than Saudi, ALL and especially Arabs on continuously using their mobile phones behind the wheel. Traffic lights are being ignored since there are no cameras anywhere.
3) Juffair is horrible with to much traffic and Arab idiots keeping people from sleep at night when playing with their cars and motor bikes all night, every night. They will sleep during the day while you are working.
4) Police nowhere to be seen and I am not talking about the riot police which you see everywhere.
5) Dodgy agents asking far to much for renewal of documents.
6) Increasing amount of Saudis every weekend in Bahrain.

It has now come to the point that our family has decided to move back to Saudi (Khobar).

Oh dear!

That is why most of us don't live in Juffair.  The places near the causeway are quiet and would also cut down your travelling time.

Yes, the causeway has been busy in the last few weeks - summer holidays and the lead up to Ramadan always make it that way. 

My husband drives in Saudi a lot and whilst Bahrain is bad, I don't think he would agree that it is anywhere near what it is like over the border.  Most of the really bad drivers here come across from there anyway.

You are running away from Saudi's in Bahrain back to Saudi?? 

Sorry you have had such a bad experience but there are lots of things about Bahrain to love.

Dear saudiben,

Sad to hear your going back to Saudi leaving this beautiful country!

Different people have different views and i don't disagree to many of your facts but there are always work around for it. I travel across the mid east frequently and there is no such place like Bahrain trust me, when it comes to many different factors like rent, traffic etc etc.

You should have explored other places to live near to the causeway which are much better in terms of traffic situation. Well we all have to agree to the fact Bahrain is dependent on Saudi for many things and we can't help the fact about Saudi's visiting Bahrain often.I stay in juffair and the part where i stay its really quiet and we don't have any issues at night.

T&R
Arjun

Appreciate the response, but the delays in travel time are on the causeway, from than on it is a breeze either way. Not only busy since a couple of weeks, all my expat friends commuting are saying exactly the same it is already bad since many months and it is getting worse every week and I know many considering moving back to Saudi as it is just not worth it. As a matter of fact it is now becoming a serious topic on Saudi news. By the way I have lived all over the Middle East (not only Saudi and Bahrain) and I tend to disagree with Bahrain being a beautiful country, it's a small island and nothing special at all, a shopping mall here is the same as a shopping mall in Dubai or Khobar, the landscape than perhaps? I have loved on most continents and I don't consider this anything special. Whether living here and see Saudis everywhere or live in Saudi doesn't make a difference. As you said, different people different opinions.

As I grew up here, I've lived most of my life in Budaiya with my parents. Juffair when I was single and just married.  Then back to Budaiya when I had my child.

What I found is that Juffair isn't family friendly. Sure it may be convenient as it's close to Manama, restaurants, clubs, and etc but it lacks children facilities and the space to run around safely. Juffair is perfect for young couples or alone.

Budaiya is or was perfect for families for schools/nurseries and its fair share of eateries if you can live with weekly tire burnings which if you know the usual roads can get around. For people commuting to Saudi Arabia, Janabiya or Hamala is not a bad idea.

I have the same story ..u r sooo right ..for this I think to move from bahrain

Back in Saudi, what a relieve. A friend of mine who used to have VIP recently had to renew and they did not for reasons unknown. He is now considering moving back to Saudi with his wife. Anyone travelling back and forth daily, good luck!

Live in adlya

Saudiben,

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I wouldn't go as far as to say "saudi and bahrain are the same". To begin with, it is not illegal to do things that are in Saudi, such as eating pork, drinking alcohol, women driving, women not having to cover their body in public. These are just some of the basic things that separates Bahrain from Saudi Arabia big time. I know the commute to Saudi from Bahrain and back is hell and I am so glad I don't have to do it everyday but many of my friends do and I am yet to hear from someone saying "it's not bad actually". Yes, it has got its good days but overall experience is not good. I know there are many projects in the pipeline to improve the efficiency of the causeway but as with many other projects in the region, it will take its time.