Turks and Caicos

Hi There,

I'm new to this forum, my partner has been offered a job in Turks and Caicos and I will be joining him. Does anyone have any up-to-date info on what life is like in TCI?

If possible it would be great to have some information on the following

-What are the average costs of living are for things like rent, utilities, food, a car , petrol etc

- We are looking to live on Provo, are there any no go areas? Where should we be looking to live ?

-How easy or hard is it for someone who comes over from the uk as a dependent to get a job on the island? (My partner will be employed in the legal sector over there ). I have a bachelors degree in Economics and work experience in the following areas: merchandising, accounts and HR.

- I would say that we're a young couple I'm 28 and he is 36 with no children yet, so I would like to know is there lots to do on the island for entertainment. Is it easy to make friends with expats and non expats? Are the locals welcoming to expats?

- I know it will be very different from London, we always vacation in Caribbean but we usually go to Southern islands like Barbados, St Lucia, Trinidad. So I am aware that the pace of life on the islands is a lot slower than London.

If anyone has got any info or tips, especially if you have moved over from the UK that would be great

Thanks

Hi Candy1985,

Welcome to Expat.com!
Though it's old maybe you should look at the following thread for some insight: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1590

Regards
Armand
Expat.com Team

Thanks Armand, I did see that thread but hoping there was someone out there who had relocated recently, like sometime this year

Hi. I'm currently living on Provo having moved from London 18 months ago. The cost of living is very high. The average rent for a 2 bed condo/townhouse is $1800 pm. Utilities and food cost are also very high. Most people I know don't use AC due to the high cost of electricity and they pay around $400 pm for water and electric. I use AC alot and pay around double that.
Food we spend around $350 a week for a family of 3 (we have a toddler). Comparable everything costs about 3 times what it would cost in a supermarket in the UK.
A good area to live is grace bay or leeward. Condos such as the golf course or flamingo park are popular with expats and a good place to meet fellow expats.
We have made many friends and the locals are friendly although I have found that expats and locals don't socialize as much as I had hoped. People work long hours here and often weekends too.
You can pay between 4-8 thousand dollars for a second hand car but obviously can pay a lot more depending on what you want. I spend around $200 a month on gas with a fuel efficient 4 cylinder car.
I have no experience with the jobs market but with qualifications you should be able to find a role. There are rules here that belongers must get jobs over expat applicants though and the government here is very slow and frustrating.
There is a great range of bars and restaurants for socializing but no nightclubs.
Good luck with your move.

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

Thank so much for responding to my post, you've given me lots of good information. My partner is flying out to Provo this week on a fact finding mission and to meet his new colleagues. From the online research I have done, Grace Bay and Leeward was where I was thinking of looking for accommodation so I'll get him to check out those areas when he's out there and we now know what sort out expenses to expect.

I'm still quite nervous about making the move, it's so daunting about how much there is to organise; but I'm excited at the same time as the islands look truly stunning.

Thank you for taking the time to respond

Candice

Life here is a rollercoaster and as a stay at home mum has been difficult as there isn't much to do with kids.
It is isolated and you will need to get off island a few times a year to keep sane.
But the place is beautiful. The water and beaches are amazing !!
I highly recommend sailing trips on the atebeyra, beach trips to sapodilla and Taylor bay, food at Somewhere and mango reef. We are trying to eat our way around the island and try all the different restaurants :-)
Good luck in your move

Oh and there's a great Facebook selling page called TCI sellers/buyers virtual garage sale where you will find things like cars and furniture for sale

Thanks for all the tips, I am getting quite excited, we'll definitely try and check out those places you've mentioned.

Who knows we may end up being neighbours  :)

I just moved here. have been here for a month from Canada.
have you moved yet here?
Pretty much everything Peggy said I would agree with so far.

Hello All, glad to see some fellow Canadians on the TCI forum. Do you know any expats who have successfully received Permanent Residency in TCI, based on real estate or business investments? I would love to connect with you!

Andrew