How can we add "meat"

Ok question for you regular posters. How to we limit or eliminate the empty, useless, no content posts lke:
HI
How are you
What's happening
:)
and so on and so on

I do understand that most of these are by new members trying to get enough posts go get to use the PM function.  But maybe numbers should not matter but contend does in addition to  a certain number of posts for PM access.

Just my thoughts.  I have stopped responding to "empty" threads.

Bob K

HI
How are you
What's happening :D

:D:D:D:D

Bob K

You are right Bob, its really annoying al those empty threads/post just only to unlock their private mail system.
I think that the team notice this as well and not only the number of post is important but also the content of the post.

I do report nonsensical posts and do reply to some with terse comments.Those I reply to often do not post again.

I think that we can all agree that there aren't many things more annoying than these one or two word topic threads, worse still just a smiley.

Primadonna has hit the nail right on the head. I've understood for a very long time that the vast majority of these postings are from new members simply trying to build up their posting count to activate their PM privileges. Many of them specifically in order to start sending out copy & paste spam at that!

I don't think that there is much hope of reducing or eliminating this short of reprogramming the blog to require a MINIMUM number of characters in any posting. Then if someone were to try and submit a reply that has less than say 50 (or whatever magic number that EB Team chooses) then they'd get back an error message that say something like "required number of characters for posting has not been reached". Even then I think you'll find then we'll just start getting lots of postings like.....

¨%*&&¨$#+&¨&((*¨HO)$($!*)*$ ¨%#$&*(&*%¨$#¨!@VY*(%R*I&R

So, I don`t think we`d be any better off than we are right now. For now, until something better comes along, I think reporting nonsense postings is our only option.

Or maybe if one didn`t reach a certain number of characters in a post it acted almost like the REPORT triange and then TEAM would see it and decide if it was junk or not.

Cheers,
James

¨%*&&¨$#+&¨&((*¨HO)$($!*)*$ ¨%#$&*(&*%¨$#¨!@VY*(%R*I&R, that's silly; it should be, ¨%*&&¨$#+&¨&((*¨HO)S($!*)*$ ¨%#$&*(&*%¨$#¨!@VY*(%R*I&R""

The minimum character rule is used on some forums, but most members just copy and paste the error message in order in make their post long enough.

Yes Fred, you were correct in correcting that post... :lol:

Actually most of the new members didn't know much about the site.........
But I used to reply even who write hello or hi.......by asking him to introduced yourself......

Most new members do not read the terms and conditions either so get a little upset when after 2 posts they cannot use the PM system. :mad:

I am getting tired of answering and asking for more info.

It goes back to RTMF (read the Fu...ing  Manual)

Bob K

stumpy wrote:

Most new members do not read the terms and conditions either so get a little upset when after 2 posts they cannot use the PM system. :mad:

I still haven't read them - I'll bet most posters are the same ..... or am I lazy?

Hello how are you

Oxipeaar wrote:

Hello how are you

Bob K wrote:

Ok question for you regular posters. How to we limit or eliminate the empty, useless, no content posts lke:
HI
How are you
What's happening
:)
and so on and so on

I do understand that most of these are by new members trying to get enough posts go get to use the PM function.  But maybe numbers should not matter but contend does in addition to  a certain number of posts for PM access.

Just my thoughts.  I have stopped responding to "empty" threads.

Bob K

QED :D

Maybe it should require a minimum IQ...you think??? :D:D:D

Bob K

Bob K wrote:

Bob K

Good idea in principle Bob, but the membership would drop drastically if that were implimented   :lol:

stumpy wrote:
Bob K wrote:

Bob K

Good idea in principle Bob, but the membership would drop drastically if that were implimented   :lol:

Maybe a spelling test could be Implemented :D

Point taken fred. Must activate my spell checker then... :thanks:

Bob K wrote:

I have stopped responding to "empty" threads.

You just answered your question.  Annoying things are much less annoying when you ignore them.

mas fred wrote:
stumpy wrote:

My spell check does British English, so it's completely useless.

Oxipeaar wrote:

Hello how are you

Not fine but I will be fine if you invite me to Paris in your expenses................... :D

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
mas fred wrote:
stumpy wrote:

My spell check does British English, so it's completely useless.

Surely that's the best sort, not the silly colonial version.

:cheers: ,HI

Djzubaid wrote:

Even members with enough posts also do the same...............

mas fred wrote:

Never trust a man who puts braces on his pants and corrects mistakes with a rubber.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
mas fred wrote:

Never trust a man who puts braces on his pants and corrects mistakes with a rubber.

I NEVER use braces on my pants, only my trousers and, as you will be aware, if you use a rubber, you don't have mistakes to correct.

mas fred wrote:

I NEVER use braces on my pants, only my trousers and, as you will be aware, if you use a rubber, you don't have mistakes to correct.

When I lived in Canada we used to put rubbers over our shoes in wintertime, to protect against snow. Weird, eh?

aryavrat wrote:
Djzubaid wrote:

Even members with enough posts also do the same...............

Ehem ,come on  anil ,didnt you get my post .I was giving an example how people just popup and say two to three words,and when you reply to them ,voila they just disappear , :P

Even I too was kidding coz I have already read your lot of posts and replied even some............... :D

:D:D:D  But as the little old lady of 1960's fame used to say on the  TV commercials "but where is the meat"

Have a great weekend everyone

Bob K

Same to you Bob...........
And enjoy the World Cup also

aryavrat wrote:

Same to you Bob...........
And enjoy the World Cup also

hey anil ,until the next match.
Enjoy this http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/4667-nobody-cares.jpg

:lol: Thanks Djzubaid............

Gordon Barlow wrote:

When I lived in Canada we used to put rubbers over our shoes in wintertime, to protect against snow. Weird, eh?

We had those, too.  Also on our tires.

mas fred wrote:

, if you use a rubber, you don't have mistakes to correct.

Only a man would say that.

Live your expat project without any stress thanks to advice from expats

OR