Moving to Lagos - Victoria Island - Info about Safety please

Hi
This is Ali, 
I will move to Nigeria soon on 4th july to work their.
My home will be in Victoria Island and my work in industrial area.
Im still confused about the safety.
Can you advice me?

Hello alikhebaize and welcome on board :)

You could consider reading this below thread talking on the same subject.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=351797

Regards

Kenjee

In your 1st 3 months
You will be spotted as Fresh Fish
Do not go out drinking at local bars
If you do go out stay with people you know and go to international hotels only
If you drink alcohol drink it at home
Try to learn some of the local lingo
Exude confidence with locals and tell them what to do
Be as rude/dismissive/aggressive as possible

Victoria island is very nice and also full of expatriates. Being polite doesnt make you not to be duped or appear smart, doing that will make you look like you are trying to prove you are smarter than everyone else and believe me, you cant be at least not until you spend at least 1year here, Nigerians are very smart but very friendly people who will go out of their way to help a stranger as long as they are sure they wont be harmed. being rude may make you appear as a racist, if you do that, you are ON YOUR OWN and you really dont want that to happen

Les Pat wrote:

In your 1st 3 months
You will be spotted as Fresh Fish
Do not go out drinking at local bars
If you do go out stay with people you know and go to international hotels only
If you drink alcohol drink it at home
Try to learn some of the local lingo
Exude confidence with locals and tell them what to do
Be as rude/dismissive/aggressive as possible

No offense intended but you are very rude. Your post is reflecting us in a very bad light. Nigerians are very wide travelled and experienced not some savages who freak out at the sight of a white skin. there are theives everywhere, even among the 12 disciples, Judas was a theif how much more in a country of 200million+  Any bitter experience you may have had ( as im sure you must have had) is due to your way of thinking. i cant outsmart you in your village neither can you come to mine and outsmart me no matter how educated, rich or smart you are. No man is an island, even after living here for 20years, you'll need someone everyday. My advice is: forget whatever rough experience you may have had and apologize to those around you, be smart yes but not rude and aggressive. Africans are the friendly people on earth and Nigerians are not included, only in Nigeria will a total stranger smile at you and greet good morning, a total stranger suspend his/her own activities just to help you when you got lost or a bus full of people who only met at one bustop chat freely and crack jokes till their destination.

sorry if i sounded rude at a point.