Where to live

Hi,
I am an American moving to Kuwait shortly for work. What neighborhoods are best to stay in? I am looking for access to a good gym, good grocery store.
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Hello Matt,

The decisive factor should be your office location, as you will have to drive anyway to get anywhere. Even then, nothing is more than 30 minutes away really, so it comes down to a personal preference: do you like it noisy and crowded or a more quieter area.

salmiya/jabriya or mangaf/fintas/mahboula.

Here are the locations in order of preference:
1- Salmiya (Big area - Not that crowded - Shops, malls and beach - Recreation areas - High rents on the down side - Many expats from all countries - Most events take place there).
2- Jabriya (Smaller area - Crowded - Restaurants, supermarkets and a public park - Mainly residential - Good standard - Many expats from the US).
3- Salwa (Big area - Not crowded - Bigger homes - Mainly residential - schools and supermarkets - many expats are from the US and Europe - rents are not too high).
4- Fintas (Far from downtown - rents are somewhat reasonable - Beach)
5- Mahboula (Far from downtown - rents are somewhat reasonable - Beach - Unfinished infrastructures - Many expats from the US and Europe.

The choice is yours :)

Hi all, thanks for the response. My office will be in Al Ahamadi.

By the way, what do you guys do outside of work in Kuwait?

eating and eating. ...  ..and eating
you have time to try all restaurant's in kuwait and if you are a woman you can try also all the spa's and ladies salon's, , shopping malls, almost that's all activities you can have here, unless you have a friends so you can create your own activities

@Matt007 many things my friend. However, there is less activity in the summer. Check out a group on instagram called ceekuwait, they upload posters of events taking place in Kuwait. Also, check out the Grapevine Kuwait website, or just ask @legacy :D he's the expert.

salmiya I think its a good place to live in blus mangaf or mahbula or salwa many American people living there.
grocery store sultan centre every where
a good gym : corniche clup in salmiya or see clup in salwa
hope that can help

Matt007 wrote:

Hi all, thanks for the response. My office will be in Al Ahamadi.

Hey Matt - I am working in Ahmadi as well. Personally, I wouldn't get a place anywhere north of 6th ring road, except for Salwa. Doing so will add 15-30 minutes or more to your daily commute depending on how many people crashed on that particular day. Going to Salmiya every now and then is fine, but not every single day if you don't have to. :)

@Matt007: I hope you like to shop, eat at mediocre American chain restaurants or work out. There isn't exactly a happening social scene here especially in the summer it will be too hot to do anything outside!

if its in al-ahmadi, your best choise i think would be (mangaf) its right next to hilton hotel, and yet not far from ahmadi. plus many people from the states stay there.

Hi All,
Thank you for your answers. I will be flying in late this week. Hope to meet you all shortly.
Matt

Hi,
Thanks. I do like to work out and I will be working a lot and traveling so I think it will be fine. How long have you been in Kuwait?
Matt

Hi Ribosom,
Thanks. I will definitely keep that in mind. I heard traffic is pretty bad. How long have you been in Kuwait now?
Matt

Hi,
That does help. Thanks!

Matt

:)
Thanks. I will check out both website you mentioned. I am looking forward to it.
Matt

Matt007 wrote:

Hi Ribosom,
Thanks. I will definitely keep that in mind. I heard traffic is pretty bad. How long have you been in Kuwait now?
Matt

A year and a half now. I got used to everything except the traffic. The amount of recklessnes on the road and lack of respect for other people lives and your own is unbelievable.

Hi,
I will be arriving in Kuwait next Monday. It is a long flight from the US.
I lived in South Africa before I cant imagine traffic being worse...at least in Kuwait the lights work :)

Matt

Matt007 wrote:

Hi,
I will be arriving in Kuwait next Monday. It is a long flight from the US.
I lived in South Africa before I cant imagine traffic being worse...at least in Kuwait the lights work :)

I have just dropped off a colleague from South Africa to airport and you might be in for a surprise. :)

Hi,
I got in a couple days ago. I haven't been here in a year but did not forget the heat!
I hope everyone is staying cool!

Matt

Hi Matt, I just arrived last Saturday - very hot week! If you fancy getting to know a brit let me know!

Best place is Salmiya here in Highstreet. Sultan is very near, Marina Beach as well, there is Gulfmart, there is Marina Mall, lots of dining places and shopping, bus is accessible and safe bcoz people are just around the corner, also Makati taxi is nearby.

Matt where did you eventually decide to get a place then, and how has it been so far?