Living in Bahrain- Is $1200 salary enough to live and save?

HI! I'm new in this blog..

I have an offer in Bahrain for a teaching job. Monthly salary is $ 1,200. Is that salary sufficient for me? Can I save some for myself with that amount? Thanks in advance for those who'll reply to this message.

Morning,

I would suggest that you have a look at the links in the Cost of Living thread (https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=337348) since this is a question that appears on the forum time and time again.

We cannot necessarily tell you if you will be able to save on what you have been offered since so much depends on things such as whether accommodation and transport are included and your standard of living.

Please have a look at the link and then come back with any further queries you may have.

All the best

S

Your message from the other topic:

JayCredo23 wrote:

Sir I have an offer in Bahrain.. $452.41 for a teaching job. Is it just? Can I survive and save in Bahrain with that amount of money? Your reply would be of great help for first - timer like me. Thank u and God bless.

Hi JayCredo23,

A salary of US$1,200 (equal to BD452.4) is a reasonable salary and you will be able to live comfortably on that.

As MummyT has mentioned, we get lots of cost of living questions so please go through the topics in the link she has provided. Hopefully most questions you have will be answered in it.

Teaching job on that salary I wouldn't call good. Also we don't know which school. Some have a low benefit scale so that you have a lot of expenses to pay. Negotiate with the school for a better salary

Jo - I probably have a hunch which school this is  :proud  and that is about what is paid by such schools. In fact this school's salary scale is slightly higher than that of "another" set of schools.

450BHD for a qualified and experienced teacher is poor.  Be careful.

Bahrain is not cheap and this salary will not suffice for a comfortable style of living.

Thank you! That $1,200 is the minimum salary that this school can offer to me. The name of school is Arabian Pearl Gulf.

Is it inclusive of accommodation and transport etc.? If so, you can live on that. If it isn't, you might not be able to save much.

Hi sir,

I've got the same offer also from APG. But yours is way bigger. Are you going?

Hello there,
I realize that "sets" of schools pay differently and that unfortunately, types of offers often depend on your nationality, but I wouldn't accept this offer unless it came with:
- a furnished apartment
-round trip airfare once a year
-provide good health care
-apply and pay for my visa/residence permit
-and transportation to/from the school

And even then I would only accept it if I am able to:
-live very frugally
-and have no expectations of saving money.

Sorry if this is a disappointing answer, but better to know now, instead of finding out too late.

I would be careful about an employer that offers different payscales for the same profession. Shows they probably do not have structured payscales.

Wow, what they've offered you only just pays my rent. How are you supposed to eat?

NEED HELP
I am an engineer frm India.....i have got an offer to work in Bahrain ..they are offering me 500 BD...inclusive of House and Food Allowance....
One Return Air Ticket after every two years...HOW MUCH PACKAGE I SHOULD ASK????

Please help me with the Approx cost of living monthy...
Specially House rent (on Sharing Basis) & Montlhy Food Budget.....

Request if some one can help me and guide me for the same...

s.gawad wrote:

NEED HELP
I am an engineer frm India.....i have got an offer to work in Bahrain ..they are offering me 500 BD...inclusive of House and Food Allowance....

s.gawad,

Please help us to help you by first reading the cost of living thread which should assist with your queries.

How many years experience do you have?  What type of engineering?  What field?  Is is just you or do you have family?.....

There are so many of this type of query that you really need to look through the forum and come back once you have read these with more precise questions should you still have any.  Please bear in mind that one persons lifestyle can differ so much from another.

s.gawad wrote:

NEED HELP

For cost of living try this site www.numbeo.com

For slary www.payscale.com 

And as others have said, check through the posts on this forum for any information that may help you.

Thanks for your help.....it has surely helped me....

Hi! Have you accepted this offer?

It depends on your level of living. To live on this would be on the low, low side. To live and save on I just don't see how. Unless you live on local markets and do go out much.

musicislife wrote:

Hi! Have you accepted this offer?

Kindly note this is a very old post, the poster may not be active.