Teacher Salary in Doha

Hello!

I am thinking of accepting a teaching position in Doha but I am unsure as to how much money I can save.

My salary will be $34,000 ($2800 per month) US Dollars per year. The school pays for accommodation, utilities, transport and I get 1 flight to my home country each year.

Will this be enough money to provide for myself and my fiance (who would not be working)? We are both very keen on travel, and would go out on weekends for dinner. Bars/Clubs are a non-issue.

Any help would be fantastic, as I need to accept or decline the position soon as the new term for me will begin this August.

Hello Travelmoo and welcome on board,

I think you can do just fine with the salary, try to check out the following link : ( Copy and paste in your web browser) :

numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Qatar

Regards

Kenjee

Hey that salary would be enough for u.

Negotiate to get higher then the current offer and it totally depends on your life style and expense.

I agree with kenjee's website - it's really quite accurate!   Even down to the price of beer and restaurants . . .

Ms. T;

Myreseach has shown that you had better be making about 30-50% more than you may need in the AVERAGE American community.

Up to approx. $94,000 to $96,000 is tax free US if , IF you stay out of America for 331 days.  It apears that you have no living 'overhead'.  Add the tax break, your employee benefits, and ask yourself, "....could I live on $50,000+- in the USA..."

I hope you aren't an English Teacher, er, uh pardon my atrocious grammer/spelling

Handy source, although they validate spending almost 50% of one's salary on rent.  To save, limit accomodations to 25% of your gross income or 1/3 of your net.

wo.. you are earning more than engineer here in doha

What is the $34,000?  you said $2800 a month - which at 3.65 to the US$ = QR10,220   =  for some schools this is a normal monthly rate and you will get accommodation and flights etc.  But teaching is often paid according to experience and I would assume that its possible you are newish to teaching? 
You realize your fiancée will not get a visa unless you are already married and that you know that cohabitating is not legal here. 
Make sure you google your school.  Some school also do not give No Objection letters (which allows you to move schools).   Pay at  schools for a teacher with 10 years experience + vary from QR10,000 - to around QR19000 per month all included utilities etc
Doh just seen date of your message - probably too late!