Renting a car advice

Planning a visit in August can anyone give me advice renting a car.
Can I use my USA license? 
Any idea of the cost ? 
Do I need to purchase insurance separately?
What i public transportation like throughout Belize?

Thanks

Les64:

The places you are going and if you want to ue public transportation will effect your decision.
1. Yes your USA drivers license is what you need to drive in Belize.
2. Public transportation is amazingly good in Belize. Understand though it is not like public transportation in North America. The public transportation is between towns. Old school busses drive these roads and pick people up all along the roads to provide transportation. The cost is certainly low for a North American.  They are not air-conditioned. There is no public transportation within communities, taxis are your solution there (or walk).

There are car rental companies right at the international airport (Golson). Certainly the cost for rentals is higher than the USA. This equates to the duty charged by the government for bringing cars in, as well as the repair bills because of the condition of the roads. If you plan to travel on the paved roads (Western Highway / Northern Highway / Hummingbird / Southern Highway only then any of the rentals should work fine. If you want to explore more then it will be worth it to get a 4x4. Most of the car rental companies will give you a price right on the web.

Check first if your credit card will provide rental insurance. This can save you money. If not then purchase the insurance at the rental place.

Thank you very much for your reply.
I currently live in Cambodia and the buses sound exactly the same so well used and happy with that.  Are motorcycles available for rent in the bigger towns? Its that combination that I use here now.

les64:

Where we live (San Ignacio/Santa Elena) there is a place to rent motorcycles. Motorcycles are popular here of course because of the climate. Great way to get around.