Any summer work in Kenya for a visiting teenager?

My son has just finished high school in England and is coming to Kenya for two months before he joins college in September. He is looking to experience Kenya and make good use of that time be it through work, internship, sports training or otherwise. He arrives at the end of this month.

Any suggestions or recommendations are most welcome.Kindly inbox me if necessary.
regards and thanks

Hello kendra07 and welcome on board!

Could you please tell us in which field is your son seeking internship? I would suggest you browse our section Jobs in Kenya so as to find any vacancy that may interest him.

Regards

Kenjee

Hi Kenjee,
Thanks for your email. My son has just finished high school, he is 16 years old. He is looking for whatever work experience he can get to keep busy for two months.Given that there are no paper round jobs around here, its a bit hard to find something quick for him. He loves football so he could also take up training jobs for young kids.
I will definitely keep looking at the jobs section on here and hopefully something will pop up!

Thanks again!

kendra07 wrote:

Hi Kenjee,
Thanks for your email. My son has just finished high school, he is 16 years old. He is looking for whatever work experience he can get to keep busy for two months.Given that there are no paper round jobs around here, its a bit hard to find something quick for him. He loves football so he could also take up training jobs for young kids.
I will definitely keep looking at the jobs section on here and hopefully something will pop up!

Thanks again!

As he loves football have you thought of contacting clubs about a job. Or perhaps an NGO group may have something.

Good idea Stumpy!
I will try and get contacts for local clubs, as for the NGO's that is where I was hoping the forum could help with leads. any ideas of any that could take him in?

regards Kendra07

Hi there is vocational training center that i know that is located in the MT Kenya region called the batian view,where he will interact with students from all over the world.mostly Atlanta and a Canada,and he will get a chance to interact with local kids.just look for the vocational training at Batian view Kenya,located in MT Kenya.im not an expert in the vocational training but it worth trying,it will help him a lot in terms of team building.there other benefits in terms of cheaper accommodation,and there strategic location of the center where you easily visit the various parks that we have in this country.hope you benefit from my idea

Hi David, most grateful for this idea! I will certainly have a look as it sounds like the 'all round' thing that he needs whilst also getting to enjoy the sights and sounds of Kenya!
Thank you and God Bless

If he does end up around the MT Kenya area you're free to give him my number. I'm often trying to organize stuff with other young people around here but there's seems to be a general lack of them unfortunately. He's free to text or call anytime.
[email protected]

Thanks Amber, that is most kind! I will pass on your number. He arrived on Saturday so still climatizing though not as much as this Nairobi 'winter' favours him!
You live in Nanyuki yourself?

Hi Kendra, Please be aware that ANY work, paid or voluntary is illegal in Kenya without a work permit.  For this reason, I suggest that your son treads very carefully indeed, particularly as he appears not to have gone with a 'voluntourism' organisation.

Hi Longonot,
Thanks for the heads up. He is half Kenyan so that should make it ok I hope?

If he has dual citizenship, but not if he is there on a UK passport with a single entry visa.  A statement about working is printed along the bottom edge of the visa.  People do go and volunteer, despite this, but often go with organisations.

Hi...I  am a mother.....living in a UN approved accommodation....I can get him if he is interested volunteer work in a childrens home google :  Shangilia mtoto africa  or  Kibagare good news center ..  schools for disadvantaged children.

He will be picked and dropped daily. My home is  located in up market  gated Community and has a chance to interact with family(mine)... If he would like school experience I could organise for him to attend a community school also.

Big compound with mature trees discrete but homely... let me know if you are interested in this paid accomodation arrangement:

Features:
1. 4 by 6 Bed with Linen
2. TV, DVD, Premium DSTV Inclusive in Rent
3. Security and Water Inclusive in Rent
4. Microwave
5. Gas cooker Inclusive in Rent
6. Kitchenette with all kitchen appliances
7. Fridge
8. WiFi Inclusive in Rent
9. Toilet and power shower
10. Vehicle Parking
11. Bus, taxi and train services readily available

Hi Wairimu,
Apologies for the late response!my son came over in July and promptly joined a football club based at city stadium thus I could not follow up on your above offer.
But out of curiosity and for future reference, how much is the rent for the above accomodation and is the offer (volunteering and accomodation) open to adults as well?

regards and thanks