Cost of living in Portugal

#1 17 June 2008 16:51:38

expat blog
expat blog
small earth

Cost of living in Portugal

Hi everybody,

It would be very interesting and useful to exchange informations about the cost of living in Portugal. The idea is to help those who would like to live in Portugal.
Don't forget to mention where you are living

Let's compare the:

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Portugal?)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer or a coffee in a regular pub

Thanks in advance for your participation! :top:

#2 19 June 2008 15:05:48

expat blog
expat blog
small earth

Re: Cost of living in Portugal

Sent by Abelhas in Dec 2006

i am in rural central Portugal, east of coimbra

> accommodation prices

rents are cheap. can be as low as 100 euros a month.

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)
trains very cheap, 20 euros to lisbon (3 hours away)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

500 euros a month - family of 5

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
n/a

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)
n/a

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

electric about 20 euros a month

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

adsl 35 euro/month. no tv license. phone 16 euro/month line.

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant
it is possible to get a full meal (3 courses, coffee, wine, starter) from 3.50 euros... normally between 5 and 10 euros per head... expensive places can be 20 for everything. almost all menus are REAL food, home made, home grown even often... not like the microwaved packaged rubbish that  uk pubs sell.

> prices of a beer and of a coffee in a regular pub
a bottle beer, 60 cents, coffee 40 cents...

#4 05 January 2009 15:04:28

goispro
goispro
gois portugal

I am a bit surprised at some of the prices given above - I too live a few miles east of Coimbra, but it's rare to find a coffee under 80 cents (perhaps we're talking different sorts of coffee here!)
In general, I find Portugal surprisingly expensive, and with the fall of the pound against the euro we British ex-pats are all in for some serious belt-tightening! :|

#5 15 February 2009 15:36:21

EuropeWord
EuropeWord
Chicago

goispro wrote:

I am a bit surprised at some of the prices given above - I too live a few miles east of Coimbra, but it's rare to find a coffee under 80 cents (perhaps we're talking different sorts of coffee here!)
In general, I find Portugal surprisingly expensive, and with the fall of the pound against the euro we British ex-pats are all in for some serious belt-tightening! :|

As you can see, the post is half year old. Besides, we are in an economical crisis now. That should explain it. :D

#8 05 October 2009 00:05:08

daria

Food is generally quite less expensive and of better quality than ... well... England for example. You can eat in a restaurant for almost nothing (and you have a big plate). But I agree with goispro, it's not that cheap to leave there if we consider the average wages which is quite lower. Plus, the healthcare products (shampoo, etc) are the same prices than in the north of Europe.

#9 09 December 2009 05:31:20

Mishabear
Mishabear
Terni

Hey everybody!

I am an Italian freelance software developer (we already have clients, I won't need to target the local market), and I am considering, with my partner to move to a country between Iceland, Finland, and Portugal (I posted in those forums as well).

I would like to ask your real-life experience on the subject. I mean, all things considered, between rent (we are renting, at still at first), bills (we will need a 24/24 Internet connection), cost of living, what are your average, rough, monthly expenses?

Thanks!

#10 16 December 2009 12:22:03

esliegomes

Hello!
I arrived in Lisbon a month ago and I can give you some ideas about internet cost etc..
It is about 40€ per month for internet (24/24) for 2mg! It includes internet, TV cable and fixe line.
i rent a flat on myself in Lisbon (central area) and it is 600€ per month.
Then  about extra costing (electricity etc..) still need a month or two to see how much it is.
Good luck :)

#12 12 February 2014 01:29:00

Rasvita
Rasvita
Vila Nova de Gaia

Hello,
I live in Vila Nova de Gaia. Every month we pay 300 for the rent.
I am not using public transportation, but last time for metro (to go and back) I payed around 3 Euros - I think it is expensive. And as I heard to buy metro card for a month costs almost 50 Euros....I don't think that food prices are very high, of course the highest ones are for sea products, so we choose other, like chicken, because I love chicken. Bread in my nearest bakery costs 10 cents each. Of course I always check what they have on Saldos, because (for example we always go to Continente) they gives good discounts. I could say here daily things aren't too cheap, especially for ladies...In my country I can buy cosmetics way cheaper than here.
  Last week we went to check our health - every visit costs 5 Euros for each. The doctor gave us to do some simply exams ( blood, urine, thyroid and etc) - for  everything I payed 9.20. I don't pay for my Portuguese classes.
I checked our bills, because I was also interested how much we pay ( from 2013 June to 2014 January). First electricity - from June  to August we payed approximately 14 Euros a month. At winter time the bill was way higher. Gas from May to January 280 Euros. Gas bill comes every two months. Water from June to January 193 Euros. Hope I didn't miss anything...Plus internet 24/24 Vodafone - every month 31 Euros. I think the cheapest place to eat is Chinese food, all dishes around 5 Euros. We have been to eat Italian food, was more expensive, around 7 - 8 Euros for a meal.
Every day we pay for coffee 65 cents, I drink with milk (Meia de leite), big cup 90 cents. The most expensive PINGO (coffee with little bit of milk) I drank, was near the ocean, almost 1 euro, really expensive...Other things, like to cut hair until 10 Euros, to paint highlights -  I pay 40 Euros, sports club twice a week 30 Euros.
I am still living here not many time, I wrote the numbers we pay, hope for someone will be useful.

Expatriate health insurance Portugal
Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Portugal.
>> Click here
Expat banking Portugal
Discover the benefits of expat banking for people living and working abroad.
>> Click here
Moving to Portugal
A few tips from professionals about moving to Portugal.
>> Click here
Travel insurance Portugal
Don't worry and travel happy across Portugal.
>> Click here