Crime in Jamaica

Well, Jamaica is a wonderful country to live in, but....Crime, Crime and more Crime.  I am concerned with the increasing level of crime perpetrated against citizens, particularly against returning residents.  It appears to occur in the most popular areas such as Mo Bay, Manchester (Mandeville), St. Andrew, Clarendon, Negril and Ochi.  When is it going to stop!?!  Jamaica is turning into a "Wild West" country where to even stop at a local bar for a beer is risky at best. 

What is the government doing about it!?!  Nothing of substance as far as I can see.  The government looks at statistics and states that crime is down, but because of government ineffectiveness and corruption, there are increasing instances of block roads because of bad roads and the lack of water and crime.  But everything is "Good" according to our government.  The country is like a stretching rubber band that will eventually break.  And I hope to be locked behind burglar bars, with bad dogs in the yard, when that happens.  Frequent basic food price increases.  The government implements new laws but if no one is held accountable, then what's the use. 

I have to now consider walking with a concealed weapon for my own safety.  What do you think?

Jamaica has always had high crime rates, due largely to political corruption, organized crime and poverty - this is far from anything new. The country has a murder rate that's one of the highest in the world.

If you have concerns about your personal safety then you should check out the local criminal laws to find out if you can carry any kind of non-lethal weapons such as electric shock devices, pepper spray, etc.).

Carrying any kind of lethal weapon, especially concealed, in most countries is a serious criminal offense and can result in time behind bars (and we're not talking about the ones on the windows at home). Also remember when one carries any kind of lethal weapon it increases their own chances of being killed. Once a lethal weapon comes into play it becomes a fight to the death between the victim and criminal in most cases. If the victim isn't emotionally prepared or physically strong enough to kill or at least subdue the criminal chances are the weapon is going to get taken off them and used against them. So, if you pull a knife or gun you're just as likely to get stabbed or shot to death as not!

In most high-crime countries the best way to avoid becoming a victim is to use common sense, avoid putting yourself into situations where you are an easy target and certainly don't make yourself an easy target by doing stupid things like wearing flashy jewelry, counting a wad of money in public, steer clear of the criminal elements in society and drug users who are high-risk individuals and thus make you a high-risk individual too while you're with them. Far too many innocent people are injured or die simply because they're in the wrong place, at the wrong time and with the WRONG people, so don't be one of them.

Just remember that the most powerful weapon against becoming the victim of crime is always COMMON SENSE.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Another thing to consider is, that if you do carry a weapon of any kind you must be prepared to use it and to suffer the consequences if you do.