New from Malaysia!

Salam and Hi,

Im Muna, currently working as an Interior Designer in Penang, Malaysia. Im planning to pursue my study in arts, probably in Weimar, or Cologne or Berlin. I am a Muslim, and I've read on the net that there's some sort of .....erm dislikes towards Muslim. Is this true? Im quite terrified as Im alone in making this decision, haha. I am more looking forward to know more about halal food restaurants, or vegetarian restaurant (if they have), some advice on the city i should settle in, whether in Weimar, Cologne or Berlin, a place where I can be near to Muslim community (a mosque or Islamic Center) . Please help me out!

Hi,

I have just replied to your thread about Malaysians in Germany.
If your religion (which wasn't mentioned in the other post) is a major concern, you will have to restrict yourself to Turkish social circles and food, since they are the biggest Muslim minority here. They are indeed looked down upon by many, because some of them (but not all - I also know many open-minded, flexible and non-dogmatic Turks) tend to keep to themselves or even shun contact with the society around them. It may also be, at least in part, because the Turks originally came as (cheap) manual labourers and are often not highly educated.
In any case, I would encourage you to be open to explore the ways of others, especially if you're guest in their country. Most Germans follow no religion and many will find it strange if you take yours too serious!