Gym Price

All,

How much is your gym membership in HCMC? 

I understand that it varies from District to District in HCMC but I just want to get an idea.

Thanks.

Tin Tin

The famous California Yoga/Fitness in HCMC quoted me 4 million/month.  My wife got hers for 1.2 million/month.

Are you serious?  With the cost of living in Vietnam, isn't that gym membership price too high?   I was thinking in the range of 300,000 VND - 500,000 VND a month.   

Gym in the States is $10 USD (200,000 VND) a month for Planet Fitness (no annual membership).

Tin Tin

mikeymyke wrote:

The famous California Yoga/Fitness in HCMC quoted me 4 million/month.  My wife got hers for 1.2 million/month.

Yeah well in Vietnam, the whole average salary / average cost of goods equation doesn't really apply.  VN has low cost of living, but extremely low salaries in comparison to most countries in Asia.  A bowl of pho may cost 4x more in Canada, but salaries are 20x higher.  If VN's salaries were 20x lower, but cost of food was 20x lower, then that's a different story, but its not, it's just how things are.

I was kind of shocked too when I was quoted 4 million/month, but I wasn't surprised because as a foreigner, they usually want to see if you will take the bait.  My wife who is 100% vietnamese, had no problem getting a membership there for $60/month.  I even told the girl at California Fitness, that I can't even accept 4 million/month, because their gym, although great looking, great equipment, etc, it wasn't worth any where near $200/month.  Even in Canada, the most upscale gyms don't even cost more than $120/month, so why would I pay that in Vietnam?  I thought $60/month sounds about right, it is one of the better gyms in the city, but nothing so special that it warrants $200/month.

Daily gym rate 20,000 vnd (30/mth) monthly about 400.000 in Phu Nhun and Binh Thanh

You can find some local gyms, they're pretty cheap, around $30-$40 month, but I don't like them because their change rooms aren't clean, no A/C, and no water fountain, just a large water jug with a tap (water's at room temperature), and equipment selection is limited.

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

All,

How much is your gym membership in HCMC? 

I understand that it varies from District to District in HCMC but I just want to get an idea.

Thanks.

Tin Tin

There is a new Gym opened near my place (Tan Binh Dist). Membership is VND 300.000 a month. All of the equipment are new and the place is pretty clean too.

Tony

mikeymyke wrote:

I got the quote from California District 4 last week: VND2.2 mil (about $100) per month, VND5.5 mil  (about $250) per 3 months, VND17 mil (about $800) for 12 months.

aibiet150204 wrote:
mikeymyke wrote:

I got the quote from California District 4 last week: VND2.2 mil (about $100) per month, VND5.5 mil  (about $250) per 3 months, VND17 mil (about $800) for 12 months.

I don't get why they can't just charge everyone the same price.  That girl must've thought I was some dumb foreigner who didn't know anything and would pay anything.

mikeymyke wrote:
aibiet150204 wrote:
mikeymyke wrote:

I don't get why they can't just charge everyone the same price.  That girl must've thought I was some dumb foreigner who didn't know anything and would pay anything.

That's why I dont like Cali although their facilities look fancy. And dont be upset, they use that trick to all people including Vietnamese just to see who're good at bargain!

Any other gym recommendation in HCMC?

You should check out  Lan Anh Club, on Cach Mang Thang Tam street, district 3. I'm having my fitness there. They have different price ranges for different membership duration. I dont remember exactly but it's around 30$ per one month membership and 250$ per one year membership. There're also 3 month, 6 month membership...
It costs you 4.5$ for one time entrance. The quality is acceptable.

PS> ah, I saw you were looking for tennis court too. Lan Anh Club also offer tennis court. I dont remember the fee... But you should spend sometime come there and check it out, they have everything: fitness, swimming pool, tennis court, restaurant, and even kinder school :D I saw many foreigners using their services :)

If there are a lot of foreigners I would stay away; it usually means they have a lot of money and don't want to associate with regular folks. Probably corporate or diplomatic types somewhat removed from the reality of Vietnam. Many foreigners are here because they have to be not because they want to be. Oh oh! I've gone off topic; now I'm in trouble.

The price at Lan Anh is actually on the average range which comes together with an acceptable quality... it is 90% Vietnamese to 10% foreigners anyway. Most of the foreigners are from district 3, 10 or 5 and you know how they spend compared with those in District 1, 2 or 7... yeah, they have a local budget! :)

@tintinmiami2013: I will do my fitness tomorrow at around 3pm. If you wanna check the place out and ask for some information, let me know, maybe I can help!

Lan anh facility is nowhere near cali's, keep dreaming of cali when you run in a treadmill with insects nest near it . No class. Running machines are not in their best. Wonder why they can not make it more than just a place with for weight lifters or cardio with all the profit they make for all the year.

in Dallas, Texas I paid $42 a month. It was open 24 hours a day / every day of the year except Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Everyone is charged the same price, If any business in the US tried to charge foreigners a different price, the business would be sued in court for discrimination. Viet Nam is different.

What are you looking for in a gym? Machines? Social hour? (yes it happens..many people go there to hang out or be seen and don't really focus much on anything else.), free weights, pools.

My gym is very very inexpensive. It's most us gym rats moving steel. No air, no fans, no frills, no pools, no saunas....just a lot of loud pounding music and steel

I'm just looking for a clean air conditioned gym.  I use mainly free weights and work out with some machines.  I do not need any cardio machines since I run regularly outside. 

In Miami, I signed up for Planet Fitness and it's $9.99 a month with no contract.  I am still surprised that the gym in VN are more expensive than the U.S. 

Tin Tin

Yes I was surprised too when I was looking around at some of the gyms in and around District 1. More expensive here for the better gyms.

I'd say google it, write the names and the prices (address of course) and take the info with you. Like some have already said, they may want to jack the price up if you are a foreigner.  Location important too. You don't want to drive a ways and fight traffick to get to your gym or to get back home.

I've found one! It's called Mac gym off of Nguyen Thu Minh Kai in district 1 - by Nguyen Du.
I don't remembers the exact address but  I'm going to sign up tomorrow so I can find out then. It's $25 per month (morning special or something like that from 6am - noon) and $32/month for regular membership. The gym is clean air conditioned and well equipped - weights, cardio machines.
Send me a private message, I will send you the address.

cannot compare US market to Vietnam market. The gym market in the states has become extremely saturated and reached a plateau over the past 10 years where as gym industry is still relatively new and still on the rise. 20 years ago in US, even commercial gyms were 1-2 year minimum commitment, paid in full, or monthly contract with a $100-$300 dollar enrollment and averaging $60-$200/month. times changes, and 5-10 years from now, will be the same in vietnam. There is a projection of 2 million more fitness professionals entering the industry by end of 2020.

I notice True Fitness and California Fitness have setup shop in Saigon and Hanoi, they absconded with everyones money in Thailand a few years ago.........what a scam, declared bankruptcy , then their equipment was packed up and taken to a wharehouse, guess it was ship loaded to Vietnam - where is the money people paid for lifetime memberships in Thailand???   Never to be returned.     Buyer Beware.

Hi everyone > just to inform you that this is an old topic [2014] titled "Gym Price". Maybe you could create a new thread about gym in Vietnam. Thank you.

I live in the Thu Duc District of Saigon and my gym charges 300,000 vnd a month