Hà Nội & Sài Gòn cooking ingredient addresses

Hello,

I'd like to post those information for everyone here-expat or Vietnam who love cooking and have tried to find ingredients. The information is from a blog from which I have visited most of the SG addresses. If you have any more interesting about stores, please don't hesitate to post here.

HỒ CHÍ MINH (Sài Gòn)
- Market:
*Bến Thành market: you can buy anything here like cake molds, tools, imported cakes but be careful with perishable daily products like cream-cheese, whipping cream, cheese.. because market doesn't have good condition to keep those products.
    Thịnh store and Châu Muội store (next to each others): specialize in flour, almond, chocolate, vanilla,..
    Anh Hai store: oregano, basil, bay leaf, cardamom
    Kim Châm store: Asia cake molds. (some molds are imported) Suitable price, no need to bargain.
* Dân Sinh market: cake molds, kitchen tools. You can buy motorbike parts here too. 
* Bình Tây market (Nguyên Lợi store): kitchen tools, cake tools, Vietnamese ingredients. Wholesales price.
- Stores:
*Hàm Nghi st, dist 1:  Thái Hòa (60, Hàm Nghi), Lan Trinh (52, Hàm Nghi), Phương Hà (58, Hàm Nghi) have many kinds of imported ingredients. Good quality but some products are expensive like Olive oil, imported coffee.. Functional Food is cheap.
*Ngọc Thư (246, Cách Mạng Tháng 8 st, dist 3) http://www.khuonbanh.com/
*Cường Dung(114, Cống Quỳnh st, dist 1): Vietnamese and imported cake ingredients
*Hùng Cường (106 Hồ Tùng Mậu st): kitchen electronic machine with cheap price
*An Nam Gourmet(16, Hai Bà Trưng st- 41A Thảo Điền, dist2): http://www.annam-gourmet.com/our_stores
*Hachi: http://www.hachihachi.com.vn/
*Entek Co: http://www.ntek.com.vn/
* Hoa Thìn-Thu Ba stores( Nguyễn Phú Nguyên st, dist 3): ceramic/ramekin plates, bows, glasses (4000đ-6000đ)
*Tokyo shop: Japanese ingredients
*Baker Mark(3rd floor, 61A Trần Quang Diệu st, dist 3): ingredients of making cakes. They also teach cooking.

HÀ NỘI

Hàng Thiếc: (21and 26) Vietnamese and Chinese ingredients.
Jolischef(22, gate1, Hoàng Quốc Diệp st)jolischefs.com Owner is very enthusiastic
Baking center (36A Nguyên Hồng)
Cake making tools and ingredients at suitable price: http://dolambanh.com/
Kiwi food (21 Lý Nam Đế st): cake ingredients. cheap but seems wholesales
L's place (63 Lý Thường Kiệt): imported daily food, cakes. More expensive a bit (their almond has very good taste and aroma)
Diaso (37 Trần Quốc Toản st): 40 000đ for any cake making tools.
Viet-Belgium store: chocolate at cheap price 
Kitchen Art http://store.kitchenart.vn/: high quality kitchen tools.

Besides you can buy cinnamon, turmeric flour, dried seeds,.. in herbal shops( hcm: district 5). The price is about 35 000-40 000đ/1kg/cinnamon flour-turmeric flour.

Hope those information is helpful for you!

What a great idea to make such a post. I pull my hair out searching for ingrirdients. Perhaps this could be a permanent subject listing like they have for jobs, or things for sale. I also know of a a good source for Mexican items e.g corn tortilla , retried be end salsas etc. I believe the name is Saigon Tacos. I will check and get the address. They will also ship.
Perhaps if we had a permanent subject area we could post the things we are looking for and those that know where to get it could answer. Again great post and thanks.

[Moderated: off topic + please leave this personal message to bta87 in private]

How can I write to bta87 in private?

You can click in the user name(bta87) which leads to you their profile page. Then click "Send message" button on the right top to send private message.

peterpipercorn wrote:

How can I write to bta87 in private?

That's a great work Dejavu.dot  :)

I finally found food apasionados ¡Olé!
You're lucky down in Saigon to find such a variety of products. In Nha Trang, although the tourist is booming, we don't find 5% of what you have – but I love Nha Trang!
I will be going to Saigon soon for some shopping. I was told about a place near Conic Garden where I could find a big market for what I need for sausage making. Would anyone of you know more precisely where it is. That's all I was told about this place. I found where Conic Garden is on Google Earth, but I don't have a clue about a market nearby.

Hi dear Alegre,

I think you meant Binh Chanh market. That is just a normal market. If you want to find equipment for making sausage or cheese, you cant find there. I will update information for you later.

Regards

Dejavu.dot wrote:

I think you meant Binh Chanh market. That is just a normal market. If you want to find equipment for making sausage or cheese, you cant find there. I will update information for you later.

Which BINH CHANH Market?

There is one off the side of NGUYEN VAN LINH - about a kilometre in to the bushland, is none too savoury, suggest you go in pairs, it's a wholesale market.

Hi Déjàvu and Jaitch,

What I'm looking for is exactly and simply this:

1) A manual vertical sausage stuffer like one of these; and
2) A manual meat grinder like this one.
3) I'm also looking for a digital balance like one of these.
4) For the inox pots, I think I could find at one of the 4 Metro C&C in Saigon, or maybe you know a better store.
5) Good measuring cups.

Here is my problem: 1) I cannot find any of these in Nha Trang; 2) I'm going to Canada in exactly 10 days, and if I don't have the assurance of finding the grinder, the stuffer and the digital balance here in Saigon when I come back, I will need to bring all these with me from Canada when I come back in one month. 3) When I come back (January 22) I gave myself 4 days of shopping in Saigon for all these before my flight back to Nha Trang on the 27.

I was told by a non-reliable guy on the French Expat.com to go shopping in all kind of markets which I found out now that they are no good for what I want. He made me lose 2 weeks. I also checked everyone of the long list Déjàvu posted, but these are mainly ingredients and stuff for cake making. N'teck don't have any of what I'm looking for.

I know there are a number of Expats that do sausages here, so either they found their equipment in Vietnam or the imported it themselves.

I'm sorry to bother you again with my shopping list, but thanks a lot if you could help me with this before I go.

PS to Dejàvu: Does Kitchen Art in Hanoi has a store in Saigon?

Hi,

So pity kitchen art doesnt have any brand in  hcm. You can book the products and they will deliver them to nha trang.

Metro is a good place to buy pots. I remember there is a Metro in nha trang?

Pls check this for digital balance. It is sold in many places. Seems i saw one in big C or coopmart

http://www.tuticare.com/can-nha-bep-tir … m3892.html

The sausage you showed above is for industry sausage making. I saw a germany who sells sausage on the street has the same machine.

Regards

Normally I go to traditional market to buy meat and ask them to grind the meat for me. They have an industrial meat grinder and will add enough ingredients as I want as salt, garlic, onions, peppers,..I just have to wait for 2minutes.

Yes, but… with me there is never something simple!
Thank anyway for your concern, Déjàvu

Saigon Tacos is the name, our name. Delivery in HCM, shipping to the rest of Vietnam. Corn and flour tortillas, refried beans, sauces, corn chips, cumin. Located in Q2 HCM. Saigon Tacos - (saigontacos.com)

Saigon Tacos is the name, our name. Delivery in HCM, shipping to the rest of Vietnam. Corn and flour tortillas, refried beans, sauces, corn chips, cumin. Located in Q2 HCM. Saigon Tacos
for the grinder, easy to find in HCM. Same for digital scale. Buy a fish scale at the shop on Dien Bien Phu. They are stainless steel and waterproof. About $150 USD. The grinder you can find all over. Come to Saigon, give me a call. I know where the places are to drive there, but not the addresses.
For the stuffer, you could bring back from Canada, but, you can find them in Saigon. Consider buying a grinder that has a stuffing attachment. Yersin Market in Q1, several shops from Q1-Q1 on Tran Hung Dao, left side as you go toward Q5 from Q1, and the area around Cho Kim-Bien in Q5. are good places to find the grinder and stuffer. I have gone through a lot if digi-scales, only buy a fish scale now.

¡Hola! Saigon Tacos y muchos gracias por la invitación.

I am right now in Québec, and I already bought the grinder. Check it out here. It is the best I could find and it does also the sausages.

For all the rest, I will gladly get in touch with you by phone (it is on your website) when I come back to Saigon on January 23.

Hasta luego.