Moving to Bahrain

Hi everyone

I am moving to Bahrain in the summer, with my wife and child, to start a new job. I would be very grateful if you could help with a few answers to my questions!

I think my place of work will be in Hamala, so I think I will most likely be living near by. Any advice into how the area is? What is there to do nearby?
Also, my son will be under the age of 1, what childcare options will there be?

I am thinking if buying a car but understand that it is fairly expensive to buy...could it be possible to buy from Dammam as I believe it is cheaper to buy from Saudi? How expensive are leasing options and insurance?

How easy is it for family to get visitors visas?

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Al

Hello there and welcome to the forum.

Visitor visas are easy to get depending on their nationality.

Cars in Saudi Arabia are slightly cheaper than they are in Bahrain. If you are going to work in Saudi and live in Bahrain, then you better buy it from Saudi. If you are not working in Saudi Arabia, you can't buy a car from there as you won't be able to travel there without a visa and they are very strict when it comes to visas.

For your son's child care questions, I am afraid I am not the best person to answer that as I don't have a child. However, I know there are many reputable organisations here that will help you.

Let us know if you need any further help.

I too do not recommend buying a car from Saudi Arabia if you are going to live and work in Bahrain.

Whilst the initial cost of purchase is indeed lower, the hassle of getting the annual paper work sorted out, coupled with difficulty in getting Saudi visas if you do not work there, will make the initial saving not worth the extra effort. Besides, buying a vehicle in Bahrain will also mean you are covered by local agent warranties.

Hamala is a nice quiet area for most parts of the day. During the morning rush hour, getting in and out is a little challenging. It is fairly close to some popular expat clubs like the Dilmun Club and the Rugby Club.

Hi, best never to buy a car from Saudi regardless. When your work contract ends and you wish to leave then you can't unless your car is sold.
I lease a chevvy SUV for BD250 a month all inclusive (servicing, insurance etc) My husband leases a Chevvy Malibu for BD260. Both from National Motor Company

Hamala is a nice area to live but there is nothing to do there. It is best to live just over the causeway in Saar as there are lots of restaurants, a cinema, 2 expat clubs and lots of kindergardens for your child.

Hi Al,

I know many families living in Hamala who love the area, they prefer to be away from any protests. Saar is a short drive away where you can access amenities.  Convenient for the Causeway, BSB school and there is a long string of various shops etc nearby .

Good luck with your move.

I repeat, if you are working in Saudi Arabia, you can buy a car there as the prices there are cheaper. Your residence permit or work permit is not attached to your car unless you are getting a loan. Leasing is not a good option for everyone and depending on how long you are planning to stay in the region, buying might be more cost effective.

Thank you everyone for your kind responses