A Laptop or Tablet or other for a person with disability.

Please help in choosing what is best :  a Laptop or Tablet or other for a person with disability.

Detail: Person has only one leg to move around, uses crutches, has college education, has wife and 3 years old daughter, wife sometimes has minimal job other time has no job. He has a hand to mouth job. I am sure you can figure out and imagine this young disabled man's and his family's life with the current Addis Abeba's cost of living.  I want to help him and his family by enabling him to use internet and learn as much as he can about any small business ideas. Then, I want to help him to start some type of small business that is suitable for his condition.   However, communication with me has been a big obstacle because 1.  He doesn't have money for Cyber Cafe to use internet as much as he needs it.  2. It is with great difficulties and pain that he walks back and forth to Internet Cafe.  3.  Phone communication is horrible most of the time...breaks up quite often, background noise is impossible to hear each other, so I gave up phone usage.

I would like to buy him a used (I can't afford to buy new) Laptop or Tablet or other.  What do you think is  best?  I was thinking Laptop but I thought about how difficult it would be for him to carry a Laptop and walk.  This is when if there is a time where he might take a laptop to a place where there is an Internet connection.   

Please post in  your input.  Thanks.

what is his profesion, does he has any education, could he imagine to work with in a private Company

oliver

I would recommend a laptop (notebook or netbook) since the conventional QWERTY keyboard and the standard inputs/outputs on the computer would allow him to purchase other periferals such as printers, scanners, etc., as his conditions improve. This would also be much more beneficial in terms of work too. I doubt that the increased size and weight of a laptop would make much of a difference since if he were to need to carry it around with him when leaving home, he'd most likely use a backpack at any rate when using crutches.

Also laptops are probably going to give you more bang for your buck, since tablets are newer technology and even used are going to be more in demand and therefore more expensive.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team