Sausages??

Hi all, I'm currently back in Australia visiting family and friends (I'm absolutely freezing here in Melbourne).
My brother asked me to make some sausages for him, as my sausage making stuff is stored in his garage. So I taught him how to make snags, and made several meters of pork and some beef ones.

Does anyone know if you can buy natural pig casings in VN?  As I'd like to make some when I get back, and impress my VN neighbor at my next BBQ.
(I have had very few, 'good' sausages since I've been in VN....)

Greg.

Someone ask this same question not so long ago, maybe worth a search on here.

Panadol wrote:

Hi all, I'm currently back in Australia visiting family and friends (I'm absolutely freezing here in Melbourne).
My brother asked me to make some sausages for him, as my sausage making stuff is stored in his garage. So I taught him how to make snags, and made several meters of pork and some beef ones.

Does anyone know if you can buy natural pig casings in VN?  As I'd like to make some when I get back, and impress my VN neighbor at my next BBQ.
(I have had very few, 'good' sausages since I've been in VN....)

Greg.

H Greg, you are talking about casings, I take it, I don't like your chances, the VN's must like these as well, I usually buy my dog meat a couple of times, a week, ( he gets sick of fish ), I usually get given these casings, ( amongst the other Offal, ie, lungs etc, nothing is wasted, including the blood, it would be a Scotchman's delight  ), the casings look like they have been pre cooked, but they could yesterdays, I notice what they obviously don't sell, is cooked up to try and sell the next day.

Why not check and see if you can bring in casings from Oz. We bought casings into Afghanistan, Laos and Ethiopia so it may be worth considering. 
We just got friends going out on leave to bring them in.

Thanks you guys, I've got another 10 days here in this mess of a country. So I'll pack some salted casings and see how I go with customs in HCMC.
I did search the forum for previous posts on sausage things, there is quite a lot that comes up, but nothing really about the casings.
On the other hand, I have been 'Googleing'... "How to prepare pork intestines for sausage casing".... And it would be an interesting thing to attempt (people have been doing it for millennia), and there is no shortage of pork intestine, at my local market....... But, I'd like to take the 'easy road' first.
Thanks again (I have to go and sit next to the heater)
Bye.

Panadol wrote:

Thanks you guys, I've got another 10 days here in this mess of a country. So I'll pack some salted casings and see how I go with customs in HCMC

I just give $10 or $20 to the dude sitting at the luggage scanner (just before you exit) whenever I get pulled over and it's all sweet.

Try asking these folks. They must be getting casings.
http://travysbutchershop.com/index.php

If you can make a good sausage in Vietnam, then think about selling them on. It could be a nice buisness, as the only sausages i can buy here are crap.

Thanks everyone for the advise etc.. I just went through the x-ray/scanner thing with 2KG of salted pig casings........ And the guy didn't even look up from his I-phone, as my shit went through...
So all is well, will try and impress my neighbors tomorrow, with a snag in a bread roll... They are a tough crowd...

Hi! Greg!
Bloody cold here also on the Gold Coast!
I have been to Vietnam many times, and have eaten just about everything or tried to. I have yet to find a good snag!Often I have thought about inviting a few of my Saigonese friends over for a barbie! but trying to find a decent snag is, I think almost impossible, maybe I just haven't looked hard enough around HCM.
It would be interesting if you came up with some decent pork casings. I know someone who can make sausage,but I don't know what they use for casing, or for that matter their filling.
Sounds like you know how to make a decent snag! It would be good to catch up with you upon my return in August, and see if you managed to bring with you the casings or find some in VN.
I have a few ideas that I have been toying with a last couple of years.A nice little shop over in VungTau! BBQ. on the beach! with a good old snag, and maybe a few VB's haha!
Anyway! Keep in touch!
Ian.

Toughen up Ian. Gold Coast is a little crisp in the mornings not that cold mate.!!  Try Melbourne. I love Gold Coast weather.

Yes! I went to Melbourne once! I actually had to buy a pair of jeans!

Was in Melb last week now back on the coast.

Ian, you've got to get out more!!!
I know the feeling, last month I got off the plane in Queenstown NZ, in shorts and thongs.... I just don't own jeans or long pants.... Last time I wore long pants, was in Townsville courthouse... *cough*...

Ian, with the sausage casings, I brought 2KG of salted casings into Saigon, airport. In my checked in luggage.
Making snags is really easy... Just a few important steps, and your away...
I was lucky to grow up in a multi-cultural suburb of Melbourne, and had wonderful Italian, Greek, Kiwi, Serbian neighbors... I learned a lot about sausage and salami making... And the Kiwi family had a huge hot smoker(a 5 drawer filing cabinet).. It was the perfect little street in MEL to grow up.... And we have all stayed in contact over the last 40+ years.

The test batch of snags is done, I've got the charcoal, beer, 2 esky's, Heinz tomato sauce, etc
I'll let you know if the VN friends take, a liking to the snags...

Sausage lover,I make my own Pork origano sausage  and sell in my shop very well. sausage lover please contact me for free sample. [email protected]

I love you guys! Just imagine, the best of snags in VN, I am ready to plonk a little money!
Anyone else interested? Of course I love a bit of Greek, bit of Itai! some of the best sausage comes out of this cold place, called Melbourne! it's in Australia right? You have to wear jeans all the time.
Anyway your right Greg! Living in QLD.is not all the bad. Haven't had to buy jeans for years, and I am down on last pair of thongs!

Thanks James for the offer for the free sausage, but I live in Hoi An...
Last nights BBQ went better than expected...... Much better than my Spaghetti Bolognase night a few months back.
Only criticism was 'where is the chilli', the only thing I forgot was the effing chillies (Very hard to score a point in VN, without chillies).
All in all, a great night... Too many beers, too much food.
My friend wants me to make a BBQ cart type thing and try selling them roadside... Pfft, sounds too much like work to me.

Hi all,
To make sausages you need a meat grinder and a filler machine... Where to find these in Saigon...?