Changing from a Life Partner Visa to a Spousal Visa

Hello,

I have been living and working in South Africa for 2 years now on a Life Partner Visa. That visa will expire in October 2014. My South African partner and I just got married in May. I also received a new job offer. I would like to apply for a Spousal Visa with a work endorsement. Can anyone tell me the correct form I need to fill out on the new VFS Global website?

Home Affairs has now outsourced all visa applications to a private company called VFS Global, however, this companies website does not seem to be working properly, and not all of the companies branches are open yet. The Johannesburg branch only opens on the 18th of June 2014.

Neither Home Affairs nor VFS Global have been able to tell me which application is the correct one for my situation. Different people have told me different things (i.e. BI-1740, BI-1738, BI-947, BI-1739). So needless to say, I am pretty confused at this point as to which application I actually need to fill out. I don't want to risk filling out the wrong one and running into difficulties.

Since my current permit expires in October 2014, I want to be sure the new permit is valid for 2 more years at least. I also want to be sure that my work endorsement is added to the permit upon submission.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance anyone could give me. I am very frustrated, and I just want to get the visa application submitted as soon as possible so I can start my new job.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

First of all, the Relative's Visa section in the Immigration Act encompasses both Life Partner and Spousal Visas. You will submit a new application on the same forms as for any Relative's Visa

I also want to be sure that my work endorsement is added to the permit upon submission.

Please note that by applying to work, your visa type will change from a Relative's Visa (on which you cannot work) to a Section 11 (Visitor's) Visa. It is not "added" to your new Relative's Visa.

Hope this helps.

im about to process a relatives spousal permit. il enquire on ur bhalf. wil update u soon

[Moderated: No free ad]

hi

vfs will advise u to apply for a work  permit. u need a letter of support from ur wife and job offer

That's not right me I'm holding a relative permit and I have my renewal visa last aug 2014 they gave me two years more added my working permit at the lowr part of your visa , when you submit renewal application make sure you include your work endorsement letter from your employer ....thanks

No, you are not right, unless the Immigration Officer made a mistake. The law is clear and you may not work on a Relative's Visa. Check the Section of your current visa and it should say 11.

By the way, they are not called permits any more (except permanent residency), they are only called visas.

Hi Joy,

Was your application through the vfs centre?