Importing pets fron Canada

Hi,

We may be moving from Canada to New Caledonia and I am trying to find some information on importing our cat.  I can find plenty of information on how to do this from France and Australia, but nothing from Canada (even on the DAVAR page).  Does anyone have any experience with this?  What are the requirements and how long is the quarantine period?

Also, our cat has medical problems and needs medication twice a day.  Will staff at the quarantine centre reliably do this?  Is finding equivalent medication likely to be a problem?

Thanks in advance,
Lynne

Hi Lynne...I've never brought any pets into NC but I have some Canadian friends who have. I'll ask for the info. Just to reassure you though that there are plenty of good vets in Noumea and I'm sure that the meds (or equivalent) your cat is taking are available. When will you be leaving Canada?

Apparently, it isn't a simple process and can be very expensive according to my friend.
She says that your cat must go to a rabies free country for 6 months quarantine and then 1 week in New Cal.  Their dog went to Singapour. New Caledonia only accepts pets 4 times a year too!  There is an official new cal web- she thinks she has the info and if she does I will forward to you.

Thanks!  We'd heard that she would probably have to go via a third country, but good to have some first hand confirmation.  For a 12 month assignment it makes no sense at all to go through all that - but it doesn't look very likely that it will happen at all at the moment....

Cheers,
Lynne