Long break in Costa Rica

Hello everybody!

I'm an italian 24 years old, living in London.

I'm thinking to leave this city and before finding another place to stay I would like to have a long break (at least 2 months) in a beautiful place completely different from the big and chaotic occidental city.

I'm thinking about Costa Rica..

I need some information: I'm looking for a middle/small city in contact with the nature and with a short walk from beautiful beach and sea.. where the life is not too expansive. Which city can you suggest to me?
How much cost a small house there? And the life in general?
I know that is very hard.. but is possible to find a job just to have a new experience and to pay the expense that I have in this couple of months? (it is not a priority anyway)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Legally you cannot work here without a work visa or being a legal permanent resident, but if you are only intending to stay for a few months, it may be best to try and find some online work.
No 'cities by the sea'  :unsure but possibly Jaco or Tamarindo may fit the bill. To rent a house will depend on what you want and since it will be need to be furnished, it could start at $400 to the thousands of dollars per month. For a longer term rental, utilities are not usually included and when living at the beach electricity/AC use is expensive....but maybe not as expensive as a rental in London :whistle: if you sublet your existing home.

Check out VRBO,
Flipkey, Airbnb or Craigslist and these will give you an idea how the prices varies.

Best to get a hotel for a couple of nights and look around for something for a longer period and probably much less expensive..

Hello,

From your description of what you are looking for to take two-month holiday, Costa Rica is not going to be your best choice.  Consumer prices here are more expensive then in either US or Europe.  Rents in the beach areas are some of the highest in the whole country.  Most of the expat housing is located in gated communities whit the rentals probably being far above your budget.

Also crime is higher in the upscale expat areas because they are targeted more often since they are living in the wealthier areas.  If you weren't so interested in living in a major beach area, then I would say you probably get buy on around $1,500--$1,700 USD per month.  Utilities costs as well as food are the highest here in Costa Rica.

As for working, you are eligible to do so on a 90-day tourist visa at all.  That doesn't mean people are not doing it, but you would be violating Costa Rica law.  However, having said that many expats do move here with one of the reasons being that they want to do things, activities, and goals that they can't get away with in their home nation.

This is a great nation with many very nice people.  They are being squeezed economically by their wealthy 1% as are the citizens around getting grabbed at in the same fashion.  But if you are frugal, can make many things for yourself like cooking on a shoe string, then you should come for certain.  May I suggest you spend sometime on websites other than English ones to get a true picture of what is going on in particular for you goals and enjoyment.

If you are staying two months then I would say your budget would need to be around $4,000 so you would be comfortable and safe plus your round trip to and from your home country.  Personally I spent about ten to fifteen days at home in order to make my $1,629 USD a month last me 30 to 35 days.  I never travel anywhere but to the doctor in the next town because I find the expense to great even fro weekends away from my rental.  But if you are careful, you can find a way to do this, just don't hang out in areas where either a beer or a dinner is going to be at least more expensive than London.

Good luck!

Have you considered somewhere in South East Asia ??

Did you say "a long break"?  If you are coming to Costa Rica for a long break you'd better bring lots of money with you.  The lowest priced car rental down here is about $800. per month, and that's for the smallest car.  Also; If you rent a house "don't use the air conditioning", the cost of electrical power down here is astronomical.  Although there is so much more information you need to know I'll just say one more truthful fact of life - The cost of vacation accommodation down here is very high.  Renting a Tico style home long term can be reasonable, but outside of that be ready to pay through the nose for accommodation. Oops! almost forgot .... Do not drive or go out at night, unless you are not afraid of drunk drivers or being mugged.  I'm not joking with you.