Car Leasing & Drivers License

Dear Fellow Expats,

In 2 weeks I am moving to KL for an initial 2 year (work permit) and possibly an extension after that. I am an Indian Citizen, but been living in Europe for about 5 years.

Car Leasing
Since I don'T have the 30 - 40% down payment to provide to buy a car, I was wondering if anyone had experience leasing a car. Its very common in Europe. I have checked with international companies like Hertz and seems there are options like a Santa fe for 4900 Per month.
I am wondering if there is local providers (range about 3000 - 3500 RM)

Indian Driver License
I have read through all the posts and I am more confused than ever :). At the end do we need to convert it or not ?
How long does it take ? and mean time can I drive with my Indian license ?

Looking forward to hear back form you
V

Don't you have a European driving licence of some kind, it may be easier to convert?  You can drive for 3 months on an international licence and possibly an Indian licence. You can get car rental at the prices you want and sometimes below.

The reason for the confusion is probably because the system changed recently and so there was a holding period while the new rules were worked out.  In any case, you now have to have your licence you want to convert certified as being an original and not a fake.

The sting in the tail is that to change a licence you need a valid work permit or other pass. Police checkpoints are all too common these days, so it is a risk if a person tries to buck the system.

Arjun did you have Europe driving license
?
1) If so , you need to go to the licence issuer ( it can be police/road transport dept) and get one verification letter of it authenticity.
2) For Europe country it can be automatically convert to Malaysian International driving license.
(But for your info if your visa only 2 years it will depends to Malaysian Road Transport Authority discretion ) .
3) You can use the Europe driving licence
With condition you verified it authenticity before you come to Malaysia .

Country list for automatically conversion

Australia
Belgium
Brunei
China (Communist Republic)
Denmark
Egypt
Fiji
Finland
France
Germany
Hong Kong
Iran
Iraq
Italy
Japan
Korea
Laos
Libya
Mauritius
Netherlands (Holland/Dutch)
New Zealand
Nigeria
Papua New Guinea
Philippines
Poland
Russia
Singapura
Spain
Switzerland
Taiwan
Thailand
Turkey

Germany is on the list, so you can make an immediate transfer application at your nearest JPJ centre.

It takes some queuing time then the papers are accepted (if correctly filled in). You collect the licence a couple of days later. Not sure where you will be staying, but there is a JPJ office in quite a few locations.

You need to take with you an application form and a copy of every page in your passport and passport,  and a copy and the original of your driving licence, and finally a statement from the German licensing authorities that the DL is authentic. They should know about the process by now.

The licence fee is quite low (about RM30).

Hi there. Im holding a valid philippine drivers license. Do we have a new law or i can use it once validated by agency that issued it

Your embassy http://www.philembassykl.org.my/main/in … -s-license