Understanding Visa rules

Greetings,
I am amazed at the different visa policies for Vietnam. I have no problems getting a 3 month multiple entry when I use a visa on arrival service online. When in Cambodia, 3 month multiple entry from consulant again no problem. Use embassy in Thailand and they would only issue a 1 month single entry. Guess I will not go to embassy in Thailand again. Just wondered if the various embassy's can make up their own rules?

What is today a fact, might nonsense in a few days. The only steadiness in Visa/residence procedures  are the uncertainty, what comes next.

Actually every nation, regardless of existing Treaties or reciprocity, makes their own immigrations regulations and almost all of those are essentially nothing more than guidelines.

The final determination regarding issuance of any visa, the length of validity, multiple or single entry, etc., always is entirely at the sole discretion of the individual visa issuing officer since every visa application is judged on a case-by-case basis on a number of different factors, all of which are variable.

While an individual may satisfy all of the requirements to obtain a "no-fuss-no-bother" visa for one nation, there is absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that the very same individual with all the same circumstances will satisfy the requirements of another nation and obtain a visa, the same length of stay, validity period, etc. That's just the way things are.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

They think you're an overstay risk, so they only gave you one month :P

Folks, I am talking about a vietnam visa. Was able to get a 3 month multiple entry at vietnam consulate in cambodia. Vietnam embassy in Thailand would only issue 1 month single entry, visa on arrival online 3 month multiple. Question is why embassy in Thailand only wanted to issue 1 month single?

I just arrived in Vietnam  again last week after a month stay back home in America.  I again did a visa on arrival, but this time only a 1 month visa was avai
lable.  The rules are always changing.

danhask wrote:

I just arrived in Vietnam  again last week after a month stay back home in America.  I again did a visa on arrival, but this time only a 1 month visa was avai
lable.  The rules are always changing.

Most online  VN visa websites don't advertise 3 month Visa's anymore, but do offer them, a friend just got one last month, no problem.

I agree the rules are always changing. In Febuary got 3 month multiple visa in Cambodia, my friend got one also in Cambodia for 3 months in May. I went to Thailand to observe history happening with Martial law. Embassy in Thailand would only issue 1 month visa. I can not believe the rules changed and were implemented in a 3 week time period. May different locations have different rules? Are there any consulates that issue 6 month visa for Vietnam?

ancientpathos wrote:

I agree the rules are always changing. In Febuary got 3 month multiple visa in Cambodia, my friend got one also in Cambodia for 3 months in May. I went to Thailand to observe history happening with Martial law. Embassy in Thailand would only issue 1 month visa. I can not believe the rules changed and were implemented in a 3 week time period. May different locations have different rules? Are there any consulates that issue 6 month visa for Vietnam?

I heard the Ukraine, ( Syria , Egypt, too? ),  are good places to also " observe history happening with Martial law "

Law/rules are same within the country and related offices but the charge officers abuse their discretionary power to do such things  :)
When you apply from Cambodia it's different in Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville offices!

bluenz wrote:
ancientpathos wrote:

I heard the Ukraine, ( Syria , Egypt, too? ),  are good places to also " observe history happening with Martial law "

Those are good places to observe history in the making, they are far from my home. Thinking about taking a fishing trip out to some islands....

ancientpathos wrote:
bluenz wrote:
ancientpathos wrote:

Those are good places to observe history in the making, they are far from my home. Thinking about taking a fishing trip out to some islands....

Probably a better idea, you shouldn't need a bullet proof vest while fishing, ( although I do have a vid clip of these 2 idiots fishing , with a hand grenade .( from a rubber inflatable boat )

bluenz wrote:
ancientpathos wrote:
bluenz wrote:

Probably a better idea, you shouldn't need a bullet proof vest while fishing, ( although I do have a vid clip of these 2 idiots fishing , with a hand grenade .( from a rubber inflatable boat )

Haha you had me there AP, maybe you will need that bulletproof vest after all, BTW, the VN Govt is now offering 12 mil VND per month , ( on top of the crew's  fish quota ), to crew fishing boats out to the oil rig, ( apparently they didn't get many takers for the 3 mil offered last week )

I just found out that in "Cambodia"

You can get 3 months, 6 months or 1 Year Visa.   

Why dont they have anything like that here in Vt?

sbonilla75 wrote:

I just found out that in "Cambodia"

You can get 3 months, 6 months or 1 Year Visa.   

Why dont they have anything like that here in Vt?

They finally brought back in the 6 month  and 1 year visa?
With the labour contract AND the rental contract.

When I was in Snooky during Tet, the lady working the desk at the consulate warned me about travel agents selling false visa for 6 and 12 month. Has anyone recently got a 6 month visa for Vietnam?

Ancient, my ex brother in-law got a 1 year multiple entry visa about 6 months ago. His travel agent in Florida obtained it for him. Isn't it about time you married one of your maids so you can get a "Vietnamese green card?" That would solve your problem.

Parmyd wrote:

Ancient, my ex brother in-law got a 1 year multiple entry visa about 6 months ago. His travel agent in Florida obtained it for him. Isn't it about time you married one of your maids so you can get a "Vietnamese green card?" That would solve your problem.

hahaha that should be on the Jokes thread.

[Moderated: no illegal advice here pls]

how do you get a labor contract...I don't want to work but would like a 6month or 1 yr visa..likewise rental agreement...how do you get around that

It depends on how many times you have been to VN, if your single, working, have a girl friend or married. I have a 5 year multi entry visa. I know men who get a 1 year visa, multi entry out of Cambodia. I use to get the 1 year visa but switch over to a 5 year visa.

vin4564 wrote:

how do you get a labor contract...I don't want to work but would like a 6month or 1 yr visa..likewise rental agreement...how do you get around that

Are you married to a VN, or are you a VK?  There are other options, I can't see how having a Labour contract, ( without a Work Permit ), will make any difference to a Visa application.

There is no 5 year visa  :)
Yours is a VEC (Visa Exemption Certificate), not Visa!

jbay1943 wrote:

I have a 5 year multi entry visa.

Married to  bn woman. Retired from states 1993. Jbay

jbay1943 wrote:

Married to  vn woman. Retired from states 1993. Jbay

jbay1943 wrote:

You are entitled to a 5 yr Visa Exemption, there is a " sticky '", ( thread ),  at the top of the Forum page, it tells you all about requirements and procedures to get this.
  Any questions you can PM, ( personal message ),  me,
  Edit, must have taken me too long to reply??? you already have a VEC,

So you have 2 user account here  :)
(vin4564 )

jbay1943 wrote:

charmavietnam wrote:

So you have 2 user account here  :)
(vin4564 )

jbay1943 wrote:

Brilliant detective work there Charma, ( just as well you are not CF's adviser? ).

I doubted first but it's not him though from same city  :) , because language is totally different!

bluenz wrote:

Brilliant detective work there Charma, ( just as well you are not CF's adviser? ).

charmavietnam wrote:

I doubted first but it's not him though from same city  :) , because language is totally different!

bluenz wrote:

No, I wasn't meaning it was him, ( plus you can put any Avatar /address up, as he has before ), I was meaning it was something CF hadn't tried, and would have been difficult to detect.

Yeah got it. Language is his identity  :)
Actually when he was in forum, it's really busy and active  :)  So we should miss him!

charmavietnam wrote:

Actually when he was in forum, it's really busy and active  :)  So we should miss him!

I didn't have a problem with him, he put some wankers on here, back in their places, with his " touch of reality " posts.
Many laughs were had by all, ( well, at least by me ).

bluenz wrote:
charmavietnam wrote:

I didn't have a problem with him, he put some wankers on here, back in their places, with his " touch of reality " posts.
Many laughs were had by all, ( well, at least by me ).

Do you have a Facebook? He's quite the infamous grumpy cat on those expat groups.

ancientpathos wrote:

[Moderated: no illegal advice here pls]

In the land of tea money (polite term for bribe required from the police).....

Back on topic, has anyone been able to get a 6 month visa for Vietnam when in Cambodia?

I am a single man who has come to vn 9 times in 8years and yes I have seen a chaotic visa system...no rhyme or reason...I would like the longest multiple entry visa available and no I wont be working or getting married to get one...is there a way for me

vin4564 wrote:

I am a single man who has come to vn 9 times in 8years and yes I have seen a chaotic visa system...no rhyme or reason...I would like the longest multiple entry visa available and no I wont be working or getting married to get one...is there a way for me

The short answer is no, you hear of 6 months , and 12 months Visa's, ( never seen one , or know of anyone who has had one yet ), but these would be expensive, and sound like from selective countries who issue them.

Try putting ' 12 month Visa ',  in the search bar at the top of the page.

I think Thailand used to have/has a retirement Visa, maybe a search on the Thai forum might tell you more?

until 2013 my friend was getting 12 month visa in Cambodia for vn...now I don't think so.

Yeah, now things changed a bit.

vin4564 wrote:

until 2013 my friend was getting 12 month visa in Cambodia for vn...now I don't think so.

ancientpathos wrote:

Greetings,
I am amazed at the different visa policies for Vietnam. I have no problems getting a 3 month multiple entry when I use a visa on arrival service online. When in Cambodia, 3 month multiple entry from consulant again no problem. Use embassy in Thailand and they would only issue a 1 month single entry. Guess I will not go to embassy in Thailand again. Just wondered if the various embassy's can make up their own rules?

I think de VN Embassy in Bangkok is very special. Living in Thailand in the past once I went there and they told me better make it via visa service ... last time few moth ago they gave me a 3 month visa but forced me to pay also for express service even I said I have time to wait for visa. This time no applicant was in Embassy, I guess the made me pay for the time they have NO work :) ... just avoid it in future

[Moderated]