Registering my Dutch registered car

Hi all

Just moved here from uk. I have a Dutch registered car from my time in NL last year and which I want to register it here in Bucharest. The initial registration charge is ludicrously high. I have owned the car for 18 months. I know in uk and other European countries this means the initial high registration charge is waived. Is that the same here in Romania?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
Mark

Mark,

I assume you are referring to the taxa de mediu (aka. pollution tax) for your car, as the actual registration (RAR, ITP and license plates and other things at the police really is not expensive).  Everyone must pay this tax the first time the car is registered in Romania, regardless of country of origin.

I brought a car from NL here last year, the car cost me 1000 euro...the taxa de mediu was 750 euro, which isn't bad compared to many other cars. 

The good news is you can recover this tax with the help of an lawyer, but it will take several months from what I've seen.

Its my understanding that the only way to avoid this ridiculous tax is to buy a car that is older than 1992, last year i bought a 1991 registered ford sierra with romanian plates, as far as i am aware there is no taxa de mediu to pay for this because it is too old to comply to this stupid law.

However that car is not road worthy yet, and we have a Bulgarian registered car currently, this is a much easier solution than registering a car here in Romania for us, and one we shall follow again soon when we purchase another car from Bulgaria.

That said, i have read and heard of this claim back tax thing, but it can take quite a while to get your money back, plus once you sell the car, the new buyer would also have to pay the tax again, because you have claimed it back, which ultimatly devalues your car when you sell it.

I have to say, its much simpler and fairer in the Uk than here, buyong a car is very expensive in Romania, a simple standard Vauxhall Astra estate from the year 2000 is about 800 to 1000 pounds on average in England, here in Romania we are expected to pay about 1500 to 2000 euros, plus the stupid tax, so a good 2200 euros.

Incorrect, the car I bought and brought from NL last year is a 1989....still had to pay the tax, age of the car has no bearing on whether you have to pay the pollution tax, it is based on the pollution norm (euro 1,2,3, etc... and the size of the engine and what type of fuel it uses).

Yes the law is stupid and very flawed, but so are many of the politicians here that make these laws....and change them every 2 years or so.  The used car market indeed is very out of whack here compared to the rest of the EU.

Oh, and now that sets me thinking about when i finally get my Sierra back on the road then, i bought it last year from a resident in Bucharest, it has kept the plates he had for the car, and was registered with those Romanian plates before 1997 when Romania entered the EU, i was told that i did not need to pay this tax for this car, i hope not anyway, as it will be more than the car is worth, i only paid £400 uk sterling for it, and the tax would be high i am guesing as its a 2.0ltr petrol engine :(

Anyway, dont buy a car here thats not already registered, and dont import one either to then register it here, its just too expensive, its probably better off to either bring in a car from Bulgaria/Hungary and just leave it with those plates, or buy one from here and pay a little bit more for one thats had the tax paid and not recouped.

Ofcourse the politions get a good back hander for this dodgy tax, so its hard to see them changing it anytime soon.

Afraid not.  I went through this process last year and was hot with a big fee even though I owned he car for 5 years.  Also required mot test and car papers to be prepared.  The whole thing requires someone to do the running around for you.  Charge for my 10 year old car was about 2000euro.  There is a website where you can estimate the charge based on euro class and emissions.  I think this is the reason a lot of people don't bother deregulate ring.

Hi i need an information.. We have a duth car a mercedes benz and we have plan to move in romania nextmonth and change the plate or a registration documents in romanian our concern how much its cost if we change this. And what is the requirements... Thank you

Hello
if you want a quatation fir this send me in privat the car details,engine ,year,etc and i will help you.

hi can you sent me your email address please. thanks

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Can I drive my car that is registered and insured elsewhere in EU?

The response from Maykal: "Yes, although I think other people will tell you more about the rules. Lots of Bulgarian cars on the roads here. I've also heard something about the 90-day rule but hopefully someone else can clarify."

Please would anyone shed more light on the issue above?

This is what I got from a Romanian lawyer:

The local regulation is to register your car within 90 days, but normally the European Regulation prevails.

According with the European Regulation you must register your car within 6 months, if you move to another EU country and take your car with you.
The exception is for the cross-border worker - if you work on one side of a national border but live on the other and return home at least once a week.
In fact the local regulation apply to the person who have domicile in Romania not residence.
I will discuss at the Police and I hope to clarify this problem.