Philipine Parmanent visa

This is the office given to me by an official at Immigration in Manila main office, for obtaining a legal retirement visa. I was given all the forms and literature for obtaining the retirement visa by the man you are telling me is no good (Roel Guiritan) at F/29 Citibank Tower
Now stop talking bad about something unless you have something constructive to say. Example where did you go to obtain your retirement visa or other alternative visa?
Best regards
Mervyn

Telling people to avoid someone is very constructive for me.

Dennigmt wrote:

And you recommend who?

Immigration in Intramuros...DUH

for cebu and manila, i have someone i could recommend.

Dennigmt wrote:

This is the office given to me by an official at Immigration in Manila main office, for obtaining a legal retirement visa. I was given all the forms and literature for obtaining the retirement visa by the man you are telling me is no good (Roel Guiritan) at F/29 Citibank Tower
Now stop talking bad about something unless you have something constructive to say. Example where did you go to obtain your retirement visa or other alternative visa?
Best regards
Mervyn

What's more constructive than telling it like it is...Let me remind you Mervyn, this BLOG is meant to inform the Expat not only what is available through Government Agencies but also the experiences of those Expat's who have been here and witnessed some of the underhanded methods used by some of those agencies and businesses; which is meant to help those new arrivals to avoid any regretful experience like losing part of or all their money and even worse their freedom...

1. Retirement visa is for SUCKERS period...If you want to risk losing large sums of money, outrageous annual membership fees / processing fees, etc...

2. I stated there is much better options through the Intramurous Immigration then a Retirement Visa...I have all those forms for Retirement Visa...It's not hard to read between the lines....PESO IS KING...and the EXPAT's interest is not what really is considered...

3. The Retirement Visa is one of the best HUSTLES they have going...You join the club and if you have substantial funds you begin to get all forms of solicitation coming out of the woodwork...Don't have to tell any Long Term Expat who has experienced the Business / Bureaucratic World of the Philippines is more Fun, just how much "fun" it was seeing your hard earned money going up in smoke with nothing really to show for it except frustration and regret...

4. Like I said previously, How do you think they pay the rent for such an expensive Makati High Rise...The government don't pay for it...We Expat's do!!!...My opinion they have the office there and not at a less expensive and less attractive location is to impress those unsuspecting Expats into signing up what will be in my opinion a very regretful experience...

vetretreat wrote:
Dennigmt wrote:

Best regards
Mervyn

What's more constructive than telling it like it is...Mervyn

1. Retirement visa is for SUCKERS period...If you want to risk losing large sums of money, outrageous annual membership fees / processing fees, etc...

2. I stated there is much better options through the Intramurous Immigration then a Retirement Visa...I have all those forms for Retirement Visa...It's not hard to read between the lines....PESO IS KING...and the EXPAT's interest is not what really is considered...

3. The Retirement Visa is one of the best HUSTLES they have going...You join the club and if you have substantial funds you begin to get all forms of solicitation coming out of the woodwork...Don't have to tell any Long Term Expat who has experienced the Business / Bureaucratic World of the Philippines is more Fun, just how much "fun" it was seeing your hard earned money going up in smoke with nothing really to show for it except frustration and regret...

that's why you need someone with good credentials and has the reputation and title to protect. :)

professor cebu wrote:

that's why you need someone with good credentials and has the reputation and title to protect. :)

That's why if married to a Filipina all you ever need is a BB stamp.

mugtech wrote:
professor cebu wrote:

instead of bb, he may opt to apply for permanent residency since he has married a filipina. :)

professor cebu wrote:
mugtech wrote:
professor cebu wrote:

instead of bb, he may opt to apply for permanent residency since he has married a filipina. :)

Seems a lot cheaper and easier to leave the Philippines once a year.

F/29 Citibank Tower  it is the official immigration department for obtaining a retirement visa with the legal payments that are required by Philippine law.
Now you give me the full address of the other alternative department that you successfully used  to obtain your legal visa that serves the same purpose 
A false warning is of no use to me or anyone

Vetretreat
Thank you for giving me the full details of the office that I should apply to where you obtained your visa, could you repeat it for me and everyone else so that we all know?
Mervyn

but you cant buy peace of mind and convenience.. :) wont u agree?

professor cebu wrote:

but you cant buy peace of mind and convenience.. :) wont u agree?

I agree, so why try?

mugtech wrote:
professor cebu wrote:
mugtech wrote:

You Right...Take a trip to Macau and do a little gambling and relaxation

vetretreat wrote:
mugtech wrote:
professor cebu wrote:

You Right...Take a trip to Macau and do a little gambling and relaxation

Hong Kong, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand plenty of choices.

For those desiring to marry or married to a Filipina and desiring to live permanently in the Philippines. I would highly recommend a 13A visa. There is too much risk now with a SRRV type visa. The SRRV does work well for those back & forth business types and money to throw away who have U.S. tax lawyers to handle the red tape. So if you have money to burn, by all means go to Makati and give it to them. You will gain alliances in the business world of the Philippines. Remember SRRV is like a blue chip visa. Well worth having, but could be costly in the long run. The balikbayan visa is cool, if you and your wife are always traveling in and out of the Philippines. However, it would not be the best option if you travel a great deal without your spouse. In Manila, it's best to go to the Philippine Bureau of Immigration in Intramuros to find out all the best case scenarios for your particular situation. If you are staying in Manila, it will be quite easy to take care of details. Living provincially, would be more taxing because you would have to travel to Manila to handle certain requirements. I would you give you the number, but based upon my experience of calling. I would personally go to see them to make inquiries. Stay away from fixers or people that say they can help you. Do your business at government offices of the Philippines. It's a little hectic, but worth it, if you have patience.

Dennigmt wrote:

F/29 Citibank Tower  it is the official immigration department for obtaining a retirement visa with the legal payments that are required by Philippine law.
Now you give me the full address of the other alternative department that you successfully used  to obtain your legal visa that serves the same purpose 

FALSE WARNING...Says you...You keep coming to their defense so you must have something to do with them...There is nothing FALSE about having to put up large sums of money(at Risk) to obtain A RETIREMENT VISA when there are much better options for retirees...You quote Philippine Law for the legal payments and fees on top of fees as a requirement for obtaining such a visa...Thank you for that Mervyn...Who writes those laws??...Could it be the very ones who have armored cars show up at the various government locations 2 and 3 times daily to take the  MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS OF PESOS to their perspective Bank Accounts...BOTTOM LINE, PESO IS KING...

Also, is it FALSE, Filipinos substantially pay less for governmental procedures than Expats...Example: Exit Clearance Certificates(ECC)..Filipinos pay less than 500P whereas Expats pay over 3K as legal long term residents, feeding the economy, etc...What is fair about that Mervyn???...The government needs to change their policies towards Expats in regards to their legal and financial rights when they hold a long term ACR...Expats should be given equal treatment as is done in most Democratic countries like Australia, USA, England, Germany and many others...Expats need to feel like their presence is truly appreciated..NOT LIKE WE HAVE PESO STAMPED ON OUR FOREHEADS...

Can I have a vote from all Expats who read this whether or not in what is stated above and my previous posts is useful or not in making a decision on whether getting a RETIREMENT VISA is a good option...

I would like to thank all of y'all for your information.

vetretreat wrote:
Dennigmt wrote:

FALSE WARNING...Says you...You keep coming to their defense so you must have something to do with them...There is nothing FALSE about having to put up large sums of money(at Risk) to obtain A RETIREMENT VISA when there are much better options for retirees...You quote Philippine Law for the legal payments and fees on top of fees as a requirement for obtaining such a visa...Thank you for that Mervyn...Who writes those laws??...Could it be the very ones who have armored cars show up at the various government locations 2 and 3 times daily to take the  MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS OF PESOS to their perspective Bank Accounts...BOTTOM LINE, PESO IS KING...

Also, is it FALSE, Filipinos substantially pay less for governmental procedures than Expats...Example: Exit Clearance Certificates(ECC)..Filipinos pay less than 500P whereas Expats pay over 3K as legal long term residents, feeding the economy, etc...What is fair about that Mervyn???...The government needs to change their policies towards Expats in regards to their legal and financial rights when they hold a long term ACR...Expats should be given equal treatment as is done in most Democratic countries like Australia, USA, England, Germany and many others...Expats need to feel like their presence is truly appreciated..NOT LIKE WE HAVE PESO STAMPED ON OUR FOREHEADS...

Can I have a vote from all Expats who read this whether or not in what is stated above and my previous posts is useful or not in making a decision on whether getting a RETIREMENT VISA is a good option...

Great info, will never get a retirement visa.

Dennigmt wrote:

Best regards
Mervyn

No where in my postings did I make a statement the man is no good...I only stated I met with him a couple months before and stated the pitfalls of a A RETIREMENT VISA...So if you would kindly not put words in my mouth it would be greatly appreciated...Mervyn..

So the man is good thanks?

I do have something to do with them I am an Expat trying to get a permanent visa, and was given the Citibank address the people on Expat.com dont seem to know of another department with address? all I have achieved is no alternative address to go to from concerned people who dont tell me another address because none of them know of one, thanks, for the constructive help.
I am an Expat and I paid 500P for my exit clearance

Dennigmt wrote:

CHUMP CHANGE

Dennigmt wrote:

I do have something to do with them I am an Expat trying to get a permanent visa, and was given the Citibank address the people on Expat.com dont seem to know of another department with address? all I have achieved is no alternative address to go to from concerned people who dont tell me another address because none of them know of one, thanks, for the constructive help.

Do you have an ACR card...If not that is why you only paid 500 at the airport right...I take it you are on short term visas...I stated it was 3K for long term ACR card holders...All those who have ACR cards and stay for longer than 6 months must get an ECC from immigration at a cost of over 3K...That is such BS because we are permanent residents so why should we be required to pay more than permanent resident Filipinos when they leave the country especially after we spent thousands to acquire a permanent immigrant status...I think you do not have an ACR otherwise you wouldn't be making the unwise decision of getting a Retirement Visa...But if you insist than go with the Citibank Address because it is the only one in Manila for that type of visa...But I advise you to go another route...Its your money...What country are you from??...How long have you been in the Philippines??...Do you have a Filipino wife??...Do you want a business?? Do you want to be one of the stupid ones who buy a condo??...Do you want to be part of an elite group of EXPAT's...The latter two you may want to get a Retirement Visa but I still wouldn't advise it...

. . . my experience/my opinion - I met and married my Filipina wife in the USA in 2002. We've lived in the Manila area since early 2013. Fortunately my wife is a University of Santo Tomas grad and well versed in the ways of this confusing country.  A major issue is that none of us can expect anything to make sense here.  Each of us must do the research and consider what will work best for our individual situation. The bottom line is that there are FEES ON TOP OF FEES for everything that must be done here. It seems to me that the rules (and the FEES) change whimsically from day-to-day. Although English is used, the words are interpreted differently. For me this is an adventure. My wife blazes the trail, I follow along and enjoy the ride. All the posts in this thread have some basis in fact, I suggest, unless you want to re-invent the wheel, that you find an expat with a similar situation who has gone through the process and make notes and follow their success. Your path will be different depending where you came from and where you are going. I've changed from being a Southern Californian beach-boy with an 'I-want-it-all-and-I-want-it-now' attitude to a more patient, relaxed person with a 'wait-and-see-one-day-at-a-time' kind of guy with a permanent smile on my face ! ! !

easyrider wrote:

. . . my experience/my opinion - I met and married my Filipina wife in the USA in 2002. We've lived in the Manila area since early 2013. Fortunately my wife is a University of Santo Tomas grad and well versed in the ways of this confusing country.  A major issue is that none of us can expect anything to make sense here.  Each of us must do the research and consider what will work best for our individual situation. The bottom line is that there are FEES ON TOP OF FEES for everything that must be done here. It seems to me that the rules (and the FEES) change whimsically from day-to-day. Although English is used, the words are interpreted differently. For me this is an adventure. My wife blazes the trail, I follow along and enjoy the ride. All the posts in this thread have some basis in fact, I suggest, unless you want to re-invent the wheel, that you find an expat with a similar situation who has gone through the process and make notes and follow their success. Your path will be different depending where you came from and where you are going. I've changed from being a Southern Californian beach-boy with an 'I-want-it-all-and-I-want-it-now' attitude to a more patient, relaxed person with a 'wait-and-see-one-day-at-a-time' kind of guy with a permanent smile on my face ! ! !

I like your thinking...Living in the Manila area can't be easy but you were from So. Cal...so I sure you have more tolerance than most...I lived in Manila for 1 year...And am so glad I escaped..I now have clean air, no traffic, virtually no crime, friendly neighbors and extremely cheaper living than what was experienced in the big city...

Where about in the Manila area do you live??

Dennigmt wrote:

So the man is good thanks?

I can't say if the man is good or not...I am only saying I have heard of nightmare situations of some who went with a retirement visa out of that office...I personally know one Korean who went that route and was sucked into a mining operation and lost over $$100K US not to mention the fees upon fees he had to pay...More than half of his life earnings...He went back to Korea a broken man never again to return to a country he had loved for its beauty...How many others have experienced the same shit???

Dennigmt(Mervyn), I am only trying to help you from making a decision you may regret in the long run...If you plan to travel outside of the Philippines more than once a year then I would definitely go the 6 month visa route...Financially more sound advice...Keep in mind, more likely than not the reason they came up with that 6 month option was like you said previously they get more money that way in one take, but THEY ALSO GET ANOTHER OVER 3K FOR AN ECC BECAUSE YOU WERE IN COUNTRY FOR OVER 6 MONTHS EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE NO ACR STATUS...So instead of 12k+ it goes up to over 15K+ just to stay there and leave...There are no 1st world countries who charge for an EXIT CLEARANCE or even require one to the best of my knowledge...It is just the bureaucrats way of milking every peso out of the foreigners that they can...Big government in the Philippines all started with the MARCOS regime..It was he and his croonies who came up with all the various hoops which foreigners had to jump through just to stay there...And nothing has improved since..Only has gotten worse, now you have to pay to leave there...BS..

Also keep in mind the annual fees for a RV are going to be even more and the large deposit you are required to make is subject to risk and depreciation as to the currency exchange rate with no interest on your money...Does that sound like a wise investment??

Cheers...

Mervyn,

I know there is a special retirement visa for the Philippines, but I have seen the laws change so much over the last 10+ years and I have seen success and losses of this type visa, lately. I am not sure going with this Makati office is a guaranteed, safe adventure. There used to be policies and laws on the Philippine Bureau of Immigration website for this special visa, but now there is none. You would definitely be taking a risk, giving that much money to a lawyer working in Makati. However, it is all up to you. My advice though is to do the slow motion and repetition of multiple visas or if you are married go the 13a visa route.

The immigration office is in Intramuros, Manila, Magallenes Drive

I hope the best for you in this endeavor.

if you have  been in the  Philippines for over one year you have  to have to pay the exit tax that is  on top of the travel tax,Filipinos also pay this  tax when they leave the country it is around P1600 depending on the  class , economy is  the  lowest first class higher some  Filipinos can be exempt or  pay at a reduced rate Foreigners pay the  full rate

ECC clearance  is  not 3k it is around P300 and if you do not have  an ARC card does not matter, if you have  a BB stamp you never will have  an ARC card and  you never go to Immigration, if  you want to go for a certain Visa  go to immigration and  they will give  you a  list of what you will need and the  fees, find a cheap lawyer all he has to do is  have  forms typed up and  notarized, i have  most  documents  typed copied and  notarized for  P300 each maybe a total of  six documents  for  a 13A these so called lawyers that specialize on Visa will soak you,

Tourists visa holders, under 6 months: Go to airport and leave as usual

Tourist visa holder, over 6 months, with or without an ACR card: Go to one of the below offices to process your ECC.  Remember, this takes 3 days.

1 District Offices: Batangas, Cagayan De Oro, Cebu, Clark, Legazpi, Tacloban, Tuguegarao, Davao

2 Satellite Offices: SM North Edsa, Sta. Rosa, Taytay

3  Field Offices: Baguio, Bataan, Boracay, Butuan, Isabela, General Santos, Glan, Kalibo, Lucena, Naga, Olongapo, Zamboanga, Dagupan

4  One-Stop-Shop Office: Clark

5  Extension Offices: BI Peza, BI MAKATI

Holders of 13a/SRRV or other non tourist visas, with ACR card and leaving for temporay time: Go to airport and pay for ECC/RP (Exit clearance and Reentry Permit) there.

Holders of 13a/SRRV or other non tourist visas, without ACR card, or leaving for good:  Go to one of the above offices

vetretreat wrote:
easyrider wrote:

I like your thinking...Living in the Manila area can't be easy but you were from So. Cal...so I sure you have more tolerance than most...I lived in Manila for 1 year...And am so glad I escaped..I now have clean air, no traffic, virtually no crime, friendly neighbors and extremely cheaper living than what was experienced in the big city...

Where about in the Manila area do you live??

manila is actually toxic place for me. i love cebu. its a progressive city but with lesser pollution and much cheaper than manila. ;)

Okieboy wrote:

ECC clearance  is  not 3k it is around P300 and if you do not have  an ARC card does not matter, if you have  a BB stamp you never will have  an ARC card and  you never go to Immigration, if  you want to go for a certain Visa  go to immigration and  they will give  you a  list of what you will need and the  fees, find a cheap lawyer all he has to do is  have  forms typed up and  notarized, i have  most  documents  typed copied and  notarized for  P300 each maybe a total of  six documents  for  a 13A these so called lawyers that specialize on Visa will soak you,

Your wrong Okieboy...If you stay longer than 6 months and you have an ACR card the ECC fee is over 3K...Trust me..

you get no ARC card with the  BB stamp and  you can stay one year, i have  been here this  time  on BB stamp no ARC a card and  no trip to Immigration

A quick note if your married to a  Filipino the  BB stamp is the best way to go, it  is  good  for  one  year no ACR no ECC no Immigration visit  just  be  sure  you go before  the  one  year, if  not  you will go on Tourist visa , i will leave  early next month as my one  year  will be  up in July 23 my wife  and  i have  a  Promo flight to Honk Kong leave  in the  Morning  from Davao come back in the  evening do a little shopping and  lunch than good to go for another  year, i also heard that  the  BB stamp is going to be  extended past the  one  year

OK I admit to being quite ignorant to the whole subject. What is a BB stamp??

ON the other side of this, is there cheap trips you can make to nearby places?? Maybe a little boat cruise or plane flight to another country. I do not want to leave once I get there but if it is necessary it would be nice to have an idea of where I could just take off for a day or two with my wife after we get married.

Hello Alltojah
Thanks for your information, the address you give at Magallenes Drive is the same for my tourist visa renewal. I first went to visit the office for the Retirement visa about 3 years ago I didnt find the terms for the visa attractive but I was looking for a visa that allowed me full working or business rights, as I have been on a tourist visa that gives a person no rights and you have to leave the Philippines every 16 months.
I was offered a partnership in a engineering inspection company that seemed respectable on its website and I met the man who owned it. That came to nothing as I wanted to have something in writing and think about it, and discuss the details but like most Philippinos that I have spoken with, the company owner agreed, but did nothing,  he seemed to think that you shouldnt want that, they think you just give them money and they give you a piece of paper that says you own a legal share, of whatever debt they wish to involve you in without your consent, he was about as honest a police officer.
That was one reason that I needed to know about other visas
All the best
Mervyn

Vetretreat - I currently live in an area called BF Homes which once was in Paranaque and is now in Las Pinas due to political gerrymandering. We purchased property in Ayala/Yulo Santa Rosa/Canlubang Nuvali and stayed there for 10 months.  We traveled so often back and forth to Makati/Manila that our brand new suv's suspension became badly damaged. I was bored in that area and my wife did not want me to drive outside the Estate. So I convinced her to move 'back home' to metro Manila area. I enjoy everything about this area. Most of the people are real Filipinos who work hard and play harder.  I walk every day and explore the living conditions of these urban neighbors of mine. There are walled communities with mansions and the occasional 'informal settlement' with homes made of sticks and stones and GI roof panels and tarps all within several kilometers of my home. There are Giant Malls and commercial areas with Sari-Sari stores on the curbs.  Folks repair bus tires in the curb lane of the main roads. The tricycles, Jeepneys, UV Shuttles compete for road space with the bicycles, pushcarts, motorbikes, cars, vans, big trucks and busses. It's so intense and there's always noise, sound, smells and other sensations to experience. Defiantly not boring ! ! !

XcntrK wrote:

OK I admit to being quite ignorant to the whole subject. What is a BB stamp??

ON the other side of this, is there cheap trips you can make to nearby places?? Maybe a little boat cruise or plane flight to another country. I do not want to leave once I get there but if it is necessary it would be nice to have an idea of where I could just take off for a day or two with my wife after we get married.

BB Stamp = balikbayan stamp.  When you enter the Philippines with your Filipina wife who is a citizen of the Philippines, you get the stamp on your passport, allowing you to stay for a year, never having to deal with immigration.  You could be required to show a marriage license.  If you leave the Philippines the BB stamp no longer applies and you must again return with your wife to get a new BB stamp, good for another year.  Places to visit include Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia and Taiwan.  You can fly out and back the same day if you like.

Hello Vetretreat
Thanks for your reply.

I was enquiring on this website because I have already been to see what was on offer for a permanent visa that allowed me to operate a business or work if possible, that was over 3 years ago when I visited the visa office, and I did not find the terms that were offered by the retirement visa office very good.
That was the point of my enquiry. I was looking for advice on an alternative visa that I could apply for.
Would you buy a house in the USA from the banking people who were miss-selling houses a few years ago? As of now we can all live in Florida in a house that was repossessed due to the criminals who are glad to sell at the overpriced price and the local people lost house and home to the criminals that is and was at an un-repayable cost to them. When they should have sold the property at the terms that people can afford to repay. They were not all Philippino real-estate developers.  Most were home bred Good Old Boys Ye haa. Get yur dollars out folks.
I am a UK national on a tourist visa and I have been in the Philippines for 4 years excluding the mandatory leaves that are required every 16 months. I have a strong relationship with a Philippino lady, but do not wish that to be an influence on my visa choice if possible.
All the best
Mervyn