Going stir crazy in Jeddah!

Hello fellow expats.......I have now been in Jeddah for 10 weeks.  I do not live on a compound, I live in the city about a 5 minute walk from the US Embassy.  I am honestly just looking for some fellow expat friends.  Evening are long and lonely, just looking for some socializing! 

All the best,

Greg

Welcome to Jeddah,

Its not the best time to trying to meet people since most of the regular expats and Jaddawis alike are busy planning or actually being in their summer holidays. We have  a group of Saturdays Breakfast thing going, but this week was the last one for few months to come, due to most people being a way.  :|

Even that I promised myself not to do this anymore, but here we go AGAIN!!!! (and for the 20th time  :sosad:   )..Lets arrange for a coffee gathering for EB in Jeddah. My past experience tells me that even the person who starts the post saying that he or she is booored and trying to meet new people will not show up for the gathering. Anyhow call me stupid for retrying.....That being said, how is IN  :huh:  ?

I am within walking distance to the US embassy.  I am about two blocks south of Falestine street.  Where are you?  Are you in a compound?

By the way my name is Greg

The idea of a coffee meeting sounds good, count me in!!!!  :)

Hello Dear
You are welcome I wish you have a good time in Jeddah
I'll be happy to recognize to you :)

It sound Great  :one

Was thinking of arranging something for this coming weekend, but am going in a road trip to Al Baha Mountainsso. So either during the coming week or next weekend will be fine by me...What do you think?

@ Greg and everyone else, too!

I'm not in Jeddah yet but if all goes as planned I hope to be there by the week of the 18th.

I'd definitely be up to a coffee get-together - or lunch/dinner/Whatever....   

Take care,

Rigger

Rigger,

Thanks for your reply!  Are you in the states now?  What are you coming to Jeddah for? (Type of work)

Greg

I'm down for a coffee meet.

Anytime I'm game.

gpetr67 wrote:

Rigger,

Thanks for your reply!  Are you in the states now?  What are you coming to Jeddah for? (Type of work)

Greg

Currently in Charlotte, NC.  Just finished up 2 years running an Army Reserve Transportation Battalion.

If I can ever get there, I coming to Jeddah to work in Supply Chain Management, developing a logistics department from the ground up.

Definitely looking forward to getting together.

R

Hi ppl new to this forum we r u ppl planing on the coffee I Shud lv to join and meet u all too get to know new frnds in Jeddah

finally the stone is rolling !!!..

I will take the initiative and send you all a PM next week with place/time and we will take it from there  :one

That sounds great, thanks!!! :)

ahmadaq wrote:

finally the stone is rolling !!!..

I will take the initiative and send you all a PM next week with place/time and we will take it from there  :one

Sounds like a plan, depending on number of people coming can we perhaps put a vote on the location ?

Up :one:proud

Hi Greg,
I am an Irish guy that has just moved here 2 weeks ago. Am too feeling the mood drop. I think its the lack of company as well. Would love to meet up if you are free and we can go for a coffee.
Regards
Raymond

Raymond,

It is tough being alone!  Strange country, different customs, and no social life.  I will drop you a PM.

Greg

Greg,
Thanks for reply I really appreciate it and look forward to hearing from you.
Raymond

Hi Greg this does not sound good to me. I leave for Jeddah in August and will be staying in a compound but the pictures they have send me look more like a block of flats with tiny windows. I dont think that we will be sllowed by muslim rules to hang out together. I dont know if different sexes are allowed to visit each other.Lina

lina Swart wrote:

Hi Greg this does not sound good to me. I leave for Jeddah in August and will be staying in a compound but the pictures they have send me look more like a block of flats with tiny windows. I dont think that we will be sllowed by muslim rules to hang out together. I dont know if different sexes are allowed to visit each other.Lina

Come to Jeddah first and see for yourself.

Don't believe in every thing you hear. People usually share the bad experiences but seldom share the good ones. As Hamudi said, you need to be here to find out that its not a bad place after all. Different sexes can meet, dine and roam around and you need to be really unlucky to be questioned.

You can't compare Jeddah to Dubai but having lived in various cities in KSA, I feel it's the best option if you are moving to the Kingdom.

Different sexes can meet, dine and roam around and you need to be really unlucky to be questioned.

And it is still against the law!

The good thing is that white people are not bothered by the morality police and not asked to produce proof of marriage, UNLESS a white person happens to be with a non-white person.  The chances in that case are higher, but for 2 white people of the opposite genders, nothing to worry about.

As for inside the compounds, anybody can meet anybody, as compound premises are off limits for the morality police.

please change your plan and don't visit Jeddah infect saudia..................
there is no social life.......
and now they are going to change many things changing them policies for expats also
I am here since almost 10yrs its a summary of my experience.............

Sam_0911 wrote:

please change your plan and don't visit Jeddah infect saudia..................
there is no social life.......
and now they are going to change many things changing them policies for expats also
I am here since almost 10yrs its a summary of my experience.............

On what basis are you saying there is no social life ? and perhaps if you don't have it don't demote it for other by saying so.
Why are you here for 10 years ? [Moderated]

No need to go crazy Greg. Plenty of things to do here. You just need the right company.

If you are geeky like me, i enrolled myself to free online courses. Check coursera and edx dot org! Fun way to spend your spare time.

Interesting , join a gym i bet you enjoy it  :idontagree:

Hi there. Join these Groups on Facebook - there are many expats in Jeddah as members:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/saudimiddleeast/https://www.facebook.com/groups/3088478 … 7/?fref=ts

Hey Greg,

I am moving out there in a few weeks, sometime around 15th I think. I will be working for Saudi Aramco at the Sports City. My wife and children will be moving out in August. I will be living in a compound, not sure which or were yet. My email is [email protected] be good to hook up when I get out there.

Ian

Hi Greg

I hear you. It can get kinda repetitive. I had a colleague who I went diving and traveling with. Unfortunately,  he headed back to Kuwait. The rest of my colleagues seem to do nothing with their lives.

I was down in Al Lith (towards Yemen) 2 weeks ago. Went up to Madien Saleh (amazing) and the Whaqba Crater (really worth it), Ta'if a few times (the monkeys ARE cool). Always looking for more people to travel with.
My number is 00966564649902. Drop me a line if you feel like venting the frustrations of living here. It's crazy sometimes, but there's good stuff too.
I don't live in a compound either, bit sterile for me.
Good luck

Eoin P. Clancy
Just boarding a plane to Dublin,  but will be back on monday.

The other week, I went to Al Baha 420km South of Jeddah taken Jeddah-Taif-Baha road. People go there for the weather and the clean air (it rained two times while we were there) I went there to attend a wedding of 7 cousins!!  :par:  And for the food (Mandi to die for and Foul and Tameez to remember for life).The only negative thing we faced on our trip was that many of the good locations including Raghadan Forest are families only !!!.. :huh:

Coming back we toke the Aqaba road (Costal road) so baha-Al lith-Jeddah. We made a very short detour to visit Thei Ayin Village. Man I must say its worth it. Now they started the process of renovating it so you can still see the old untouched houses along with the renovated ones. I included three pictures of this village in the Saudi Picture here in this forum.

Around a 100km south of Jeddah we stopped at Al Shouaibh beach (also known as Makkah Sea). Had a nice swim and snorkeling near the big shipwreck ( a good size Cruise ship ).

Am writing this to second what eoinpclancy had said, you can try to invest your time here and do whatever activities available to you or set and complain about it. Your Call

eoinpclancy wrote:

Hi Greg

I hear you. It can get kinda repetitive. I had a colleague who I went diving and traveling with. Unfortunately,  he headed back to Kuwait. The rest of my colleagues seem to do nothing with their lives.

I was down in Al Lith (towards Yemen) 2 weeks ago. Went up to Madien Saleh (amazing) and the Whaqba Crater (really worth it), Ta'if a few times (the monkeys ARE cool). Always looking for more people to travel with.
My number is 00966564649902. Drop me a line if you feel like venting the frustrations of living here. It's crazy sometimes, but there's good stuff too.
I don't live in a compound either, bit sterile for me.
Good luck

Eoin P. Clancy
Just boarding a plane to Dublin,  but will be back on monday.

Eoin: just arrived. have a few points-of-contact here but they are saudi citizens and not always up to explore. thanks for the suggestions

ahmadaq wrote:

The other week, I went to Al Baha 420km South of Jeddah taken Jeddah-Taif-Baha road. People go there for the weather and the clean air (it rained two times while we were there) I went there to attend a wedding of 7 cousins!!  :par:  And for the food (Mandi to die for and Foul and Tameez to remember for life).The only negative thing we faced on our trip was that many of the good locations including Raghadan Forest are families only !!!.. :huh:

Coming back we toke the Aqaba road (Costal road) so baha-Al lith-Jeddah. We made a very short detour to visit Thei Ayin Village. Man I must say its worth it. Now they started the process of renovating it so you can still see the old untouched houses along with the renovated ones. I included three pictures of this village in the Saudi Picture here in this forum.

Around a 100km south of Jeddah we stopped at Al Shouaibh beach (also known as Makkah Sea). Had a nice swim and snorkeling near the big shipwreck ( a good size Cruise ship ).

Am writing this to second what eoinpclancy had said, you can try to invest your time here and do whatever activities available to you or set and complain about it. Your Call

digging the suggestions. how long have you been here for? -joe

Hi Greg

I have just landed in Jeddah and just registered on this site.
I will be staying here long term so glad to grab a coffee.

Did you manage to find somewhere to live OK? I have to start looking.

Am staying temporarily in the Mercure in Al Hamra.

Cheers
Andy

Hi Greg,
hru i m interested to know u more and be a friends...if u don't mind...buddy... :)