Council tax around southern spain

Hi
I may get a job in IT in Gib and rent in Sotogrande (upto 400 euro per month).
Do I pay council tax on top of my rent?

Regards :|

Why would working in another country preclude you from paying house tax in the country you live in. I hope it does but it would be abnormal.

Ok, Then how much is the spanish council tax? same as England for example?

I have heard its under 50% of what you pay in broken Britain. The thing is the Spanish are becoming unpleasant towards foreigners due to their financial crisis so why not live in GIB.

Thanks for your feedback.
Ive found that its more expensive in Gib.

tonyri wrote:

Hi
I may get a job in IT in Gib and rent in Sotogrande (upto 400 euro per month).
Do I pay council tax on top of my rent?

Regards :|

It will depend on your rental agreement

We live in Gib but rent a holiday place in Spain as well. In our rental agreement the landlord pays the basura (rubbish collection) tax and the urbanisation or council tax, and we just pay for any gas, water, phone/internet and the electric. As we rent a villa we also pay to maintain the garden and the pool, but if you are going to rent an apartment or town house on a complex this will probably be included. You can negotiate all this with your landlord/agent and have it set out in your lease.

Perfect, thanks Fruity. :)

This is a question for Grumpy as he sounds really nice!
Im in my 60s and have been to Gib many times as my daughter used to work there and rent in Spain, I love Gib and would really love to retire there, but the properties are so expensive so Im looking at Alcadesa but Im on my own and its a huge move, what are the spanish like towards the british I have read threads that they are not keen on us. My house is sold andIm coming over to look again at the end of September staying at the Caleta. Hate the UK and must get out!
Anything would be a help.
Pauline.

Hi Pauline

ollieandeli wrote:

This is a question for Grumpy as he sounds really nice!

NO I'M NOT

I do not know Alcaidesa well, many years back when there was only a beach restaurant and a riding school I was an infrequent visitor. I'm not sure how many Spanish live there but there are a lot of foreigners of all nationalities.
I would also check travel to and from Alcaidesa at one time it was a little isolated but may now have improved.

The Spanish, well like everywhere they react to you, treat them friendly and they will treat you the same., especially the older age group.The hotheads tend to be younger.
Keep clear of politics unless they start the subject and also avoid talking about Gibraltar

How's your Spanish?

Regards

Grumpy

Thanks Grumpy, that helps, really wish I could afford Gib but I cant. My spanish? dont speak it at all but always willing to learn, Im bubbly and make friends easily so hopefully shouldn't be too much of a problem but whole thing very scary.
but sometimes you just have to do these things.

Pauline.

I'm intrigued! Pauline / Grumpy, what happened next?

Been looking into the council tax (IBI) and other local tax on rented properties in Spain as well.. I have read in a few different places that its usually included with the rental fee as its up to the owner of the property to pay the tax. it should be clearly stated on the contract for the rented property so check on that I guess.

Yes, no rents I see advertised for Spanish flats mention a separate council tax.... its the same in Gib, landlord pays rates and management fees... Its all rolled up in the rent - unlike some UK rentals where you pay council tax separately...