Help in moving to Tulum

Hi ! I will be visiting Tulum next spring. I was there on vacation many years ago and fell in love with it. I would love to meet and get to know some ex-pats living there to give me the scoop on potential employment, rental housing costs and general information on making the move from the U.S. Are there jobs available and if so in what industries? I can see myself serving drinks at a beach bar or working for a scuba diving company.

Have you carefully checked all the rules and regulations for immigration? Of course you could always come on a six month tourist visa and fly home easily and cheaply from Cancun twice a year. If you have special scuba skills that might work but Mexicans need to work too, so I don't know about the bar job - either you or the employer would have to pay the employment tax, and it is not small. I only know about that from looking at English teaching jobs. I am a native speaker so that is arguable, but Mexicans can serve drinks - and with warm smiling courteous grace too. Plus you would be paid peanuts, and rents are not cheap in Tulum. There are some things on craigslist to give you an idea, maybe you could rent something by the month and get an idea of realities.

Thank you jeanfinney

Go check out Mexico on My Mind and reach out to Ron and Catherine (living in Tulum full time since 2007).  There are always job opportunities seasonally in Tulum with the hotels and restaurants.  Starting your own business in Tulum is another option.  It is not easy, but it can be lucrative, I have a number of friends that have done that in Tulum.