Expat health insurance

Im an expat going to live in Cambodia with my Cambodian wife. Does anyone know if I can buy a foreign national health insurance on the open marketplace?

[Moderated: pls add your recommendation on our Business directory]

What nationality are you and where do you live full time? If live in the US and will travel outside the US for at least 6 months of the year, there is a policy available that will cover you and your family both at home and internationally. It was difficult to find but I found it before I started traveling for a living. I believe it also covers people in Canada, and it is a subsidiary of Lloyd's of London, so I'm sure there are different options that cover EU citizens as well. I don't think the moderators will allow me to post the name, but you can feel free to message me if you want the info.

Hi
Thanks for the information. I'm cambodian. I travel sometime to france. I don't think that that kind of insurance is for me. I don't have expat status which let me get a good insurance. Thanks again.

I'm interested to hear about your plan, as I'm looking to move from the US to Cambodia. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

I'm from the US. I'm planning on being in Cambodia from September onward.

I'm planning on moving from USA to Cambodia in January. I plan on getting an ER visa. I need health insurance to meet the  retirement visa requirement. The first quote came back almost 900 Euro a month .  That sounds insane.  I m a heathy 67 year old . Taking no medications.    Looking for some guidance on what others are doing.  Regards

@w20415 yes health insurance for the over 60's is expensive,  and most companies won't cover anyone over 70. I think it's because the health facilities in Cambodia are less than other countries so some major illnesses require medivac to Thailand or Singapore. There are some very competent medical clinics here and treatment is not too costly,  so most older expats just "self insure" and hope nothing really serious happens to them.

@dhlincali

• Hello Jen from germany, the immigration didn't ask for health insurance.but it's better you have one.
  • Look under wrlife
    Good luck jen

@w20415

As I answered on your other post it's not a requirement, so relax.

Joe

Put a couple of thousand aside each year as a plan b,

@JoeKhmer. Thank you for responding. .  I got the health insurance requirement from a web site.   Great news it's not needed.   

@w20415

Don't believe websites (they probably offered a quote?), bar talk, people that are just talking about something they have no clue about.

You asked here on Expat.com and that was clever as you got the right answer.

It makes it all easier and saves you a whole lot of money.

Cheers.

Joe

For 70 year olds it's mostly difficult not to have existing problems, unless you are extremely fit and carefull,

And most of the health care medical plans point out that existing and related problems are not covered,

Also most plans expect you to pay on your credit debit or cash then argue for months to get if ever your money back, also ask many questions about information to be provided before they will even pay a small claim from your doctor in what ever country you are from,

plans costs avg $9000 annual premium,

So you may as well put $ 9000 in the bank each year,  and hope you stay well, at least you could get a good diagnosis after the first 3 months, 

@w20415 some years ago I did the same thing. I did find some Cambodian health insurance companies which offer better packages than what you got quoted. If you want to just see what they offer, drop me a PM and I'll send you their website. I went through getting a quote from them. There was no issue with age asking for a quote. For me, I decided that I will live the rest of my days in Cambodia with my partner and die here. My commitment here is to take care of her, love her, and also do things which I think increase the enjoyment of my life. Walking, doing yoga, meditation. Drinking hardly ever.

You can come here with just the passport, a photo and some $$. Life is relaxed and enjoyable wherever you settle. I could not take Phnom Penh. For me Siem Reap offers the best value and fun. It definitely is the most walkable city in Cambodia I have found.  We go to Kampot on occasion because Alin's family owns a restaurant there that is fun to eat at. There are also the hidden places she knows I could never find.

My advice FWIW. Get the retirement visa extension, find a life you enjoy, live that life. Cambodia is one of those countries I think where you can find what a buddhist monk once told me here when I asked about the primary goal of life,

find happiness and joy

So go do that. Welcome to Cambodia and thanks to Joe for always being the resource that speaks truth.