Starting a new life in glyfada

Hello,

We will be moving back to greece this July and we decided we want to live and open a small business in glyfada. I wanted to know how living in glyfada is in general. Would also like to meet some expats who are living there.

Hi Amirouli,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Armand
Expat.com Team

I'm back in the UK now, but I did move to Glyfada back in 2002, with a view to settling there. I moved there to take up a job at Athens International Airport. I was alone there, and didn't speak Greek, so it was a bit difficult and I ended up visiting home as often as possible until after a year I moved to one of the islands where I had friends already settled, to work at an island airport, where I was much happier. But to your question; Glyfada for me is definitely the place to choose if you are going to live in Athens; it is (probably still) very affluent, with chic apartments, green gardens and lots of chic bars and restaurants. Along the coast road nearby are nice restaurants. It is like a town within a city and has probably the best amenities of any area in Athens so there is no need to go into the city for anything unless you want to. On the downside, it can be rather superficial; appearances are everything, everyone seems to judge each other by what they have (designer clothes, expensive cars, all the ostentatious trappings of wealth.) Be ready for that, this is the home of the wealthy who like to show it. Although by the sea, the nearest proper beach is further up the coast and although not far it can take 2 hours or more to get there at weekends, in nose to tail traffic. Parking in Glyfada is a nightmare but no worse than most of Greece. Better to walk into town if you can (something the locals would never do!) The new airport (actually 15 years old now) is a good hour's drive away. Generally I would say Glyfada is good because it is insulated from the rest of Athens; you will be paying more for everything than you would in other parts of the city but it will be a nicer experience and if you have the money, it's worth it. If you are moving from the UK, with an average+ UK income, you'll be able to enjoy it alongside Greeks who are in the upper strata of their own society.

Hi Amirouli,

My husband and I live in Voula, the neighborhood close to Glyfada since 2012. I am 31, soon 32 :-), I have a little boy of 5 month and at the moment I do not work so if you want to meet when you will be here, let me know !

[email protected]

Hope to see you soon !

Cecile