Marital status of my husband

I need advice regarding marital status of my husband. When he got the job offer it was for the entire family but we turned it down at first because we want him to go ahead so that he can settle down there first. That was last year and the company made him sign for another year contract but when we check his signed contract his marital status is Single in our country it means he's a bachelor which he is not. And when I asked him he said maybe its because he went there alone. Now we want to join him there in Oman but he's having a hard time applying joining visa for his family because the company says he have to go through evaluation before his family can join him. So what does this really means if he is Single in his work contracr? Does it also means that if anything happens to him his family would not be entitled to any kind of benefit from the family? And if my husband and I separates does it also means that I cannot make direct claims to the company for my childrens financial support?

Hi Datanjan,

Doesnt matter if he is bringing his family with him or not, while providing proper employment details to his company, your husband must have declared that he is married, with 3 kids. I fail to understand why this fact was hidden.

Secondly, employment contracts are for a 2-year period. Theres no question of renewing the contract every year. So what exactly are you saying ?

Thirdly, since the wife and children do not figure anywhere officially in your husbands contract, there is no question of any sort of compensation in case of any eventuality to your husband. For, as far as the employer is concerned, your husband is officially single.

Lastly, if your husband and you separate, you will get nothing, since you are nonexistent in the whole scheme of things.

Best wishes to you.

Thank you so much Sumitran. Its been very helpful. Now I need to figure out what's my next step.:)

Datanjan wrote:

Thank you so much Sumitran. Its been very helpful. Now I need to figure out what's my next step.:)

Marital Status is something which an "Employee" declares while being selected for a job. This is nothing to do with the employer. Your husband is "Single" if he declared himself as single while accepting the job. It would be almost impossible for you to get a family joining, unless your husband declares his marriage to his employer and then the necessary formalities would be taken care accordingly.

Secondly, the tenure of an employment contract, anywhere in Oman is for 2 years. There ain't any employer who renew the contract every year. This is out of question.

Hi Schaz,
I would like to clarify regarding job contract, is the 2 year minimum for contract a new rule in there? Because he was made to sign another contract just after a year.
Also when I checked his papers again, i didn't see any marital status on his employment contract just on the offer letter and his visa which states "Type of Entry: Single." But on all the papers from here in our country like his passport, med certificates, immigration....it was stated there that he is Married.
I'm totally confused again.

Datanjan wrote:

Hi Schaz,
I would like to clarify regarding job contract, is the 2 year minimum for contract a new rule in there? Because he was made to sign another contract just after a year.
Also when I checked his papers again, i didn't see any marital status on his employment contract just on the offer letter and his visa which states "Type of Entry: Single." But on all the papers from here in our country like his passport, med certificates, immigration....it was stated there that he is Married.
I'm totally confused again.

As per the law, the standard (Legal) contract limit of any company is 2 years, after which it can be renewed for further 2 years (And so on - till the employee resigns or terminated). I would suggest you to elaborate your husband's job so that I could advise you precisely.

Secondly, as I told earlier, the employer of your husband has given him a bachelor (Single) status on the basis of his job application (Which should be declared as "Single"). No matter, the passport says married.
This, in actual has to be clarified by the sponser because this is an agreement between an employee and the employer. The employer only consider for the family status if requested by the employee. In other case, the employer may also refuse to provide family joining visa (Without any justification).