VPN Blocked

Does anyone else have problems with this? I tried to use mine tonight and I kept getting strange pages come up. It appears to have been blocked somehow.

Can anyone recommend another VPN. I used to use HMA but now I can't even re-install it

I have had this happen to me twice (I use Tunnel Bear). Both times I found that if I updated the software through its "Update Now" wizard it started working again.

Note that I didn't re-install the software. I am certainly no expert, but I think you would be blocked from accessing the HMA (or other VPN websites) if trying to do this. That might be what is happening for you. Do you still have HMA installed on your computer? If so, can you go into the settings and see if there is an update to a new version that can be done?

Hi. No it's not installed. The software wouldn't even log me in. I tried updates but that failed.  It just won't work, and not just here. My son uses it in UK too

Sorry. You are out of my league then.

I know how frustrating it is when it doesn't work. I feel for you!
Lucky for me the program opened both times - it was just that zero internet traffic would flow through it. Updating the software fixed it both times.

Good luck.

I might try installing your software and giving that a go. Thanks

I have been using in the past the witopia software client which was a bit slow after that I moved to be using the witopia credentials configured on a cisco router flashed with the dd-wrt firmware. In effect the vpn connection is always on via the cisco router which takes internet from your bahrain ISP and I do not have any issues. It is a pretty good solution specially (for a cost of 70$/year plus a 30BD for the router) if you wan to watch bbc online ;)

Capriole I didn't understand a single word of that hun  :o

Josnuggles wrote:

Capriole I didn't understand a single word of that hun  :o

Neither did I!
Sounds like it could be interesting though if it were translated into simple English for very non-IT people.

Ok Capriole, speak to us like you are teaching 3 year olds and me MAY just understand you  :unsure

HMA customer support emailed me a new link to download their software and it is all working fine again. Thanks for all your advice guys  :one

Ha ha sorry about the tech jargon, I will try to explain it in plain english. Well for my solution what you need is a second router (cisco) which is loaded with special firmware (that is kind of equivalent to windows for the router)  and there I set up my username/password and certificate provided to me by witopia (after paying for my subscription). Once this is done then you connect  the 'new' router behind the router of your ISP (that is what you get by your provider) and you are done.

In my case the 'new' router is permanently connected to my pc and it the access point for my wireless devices and every time I access the internet its as if I am connecting from UK or US (depending what selection I made when I set up my account).

Hope it makes more sense, its not as complicated as it sounds! (I promise)  :)

PS If anyone is interested in that configuration he could contact me via PM and I could help.

Ha ha thanks for the clarity. Not very IT i'm afraid

I used to use HMA as well but recently switched to TunnelBear. Find it more reliable and cheaper. When your subscription expires, give TunnelBear a go, Jo.

brightonguy wrote:

I used to use HMA as well but recently switched to TunnelBear. Find it more reliable and cheaper. When your subscription expires, give TunnelBear a go, Jo.

Well if the I.T guru of Bahrain says it's good then it must be good. HMA customer support were really good I have to admit but subscription expires soon so I will give TunnelBear a go. Thanks

Try their free one first. It gives you 500MB data for free every month. If you are happy, then you can sign up for the full service.

brightonguy wrote:

Try their free one first. It gives you 500MB data for free every month. If you are happy, then you can sign up for the full service.

Ah ok thanks, will give it a go

I use Astrill and Express VPN.
Astrill.com
Astrill is easy to use and has 30+ servers and a variety of protocols. Options include static IP and VPN sharing.

I got HMA back up and running and it's working really well. The customer support was second to none. They actually contacted me a week afterwards just to check all was ok, and it still is