Relocation suggestions

I am 41 with wife and 2 kids (4 and 6).  I will be working overseas 28/28.  I am looking for a place to live that would be suitable for my family and which would be able to get a residency visa fairly easily.  I am Canadian (currently living in USA).  I would not work in the country of residence.  Tax benefits as well would be a bonus!  Spent a couple years in Mexico which was good but am looking for other suggestions.

Fairly flexible at the moment-considering Panama for its tax friendly status

thanks in advance!

Pictou. You need to tell us a bit more about yourself. Are you retired, or do you work on the Internet? Where did you live in Mexico, and what was unsatisfactory about it? Oh, and what does 28/28 signify?

@Gordon. 28/28 means 28 days on 28 days off so probably oil industry job.

@pictou. Education for your children should be the priority when looking at countries. Residency visas are not always easy to get and often those countries that do offer such do not have good educational facilities on offer. You will need to do some serious research before making a decision. I suggest you pick say 3 countries and then go there for your month off and see what the place is like. This is better than taking for granted what people tell you and then doing something you may later regret.

stumpy wrote:

@Gordon. 28/28 means 28 days on 28 days off so probably oil industry job.

@pictou. Education for your children should be the priority when looking at countries. Residency visas are not always easy to get and often those countries that do offer such do not have good educational facilities on offer. You will need to do some serious research before making a decision. I suggest you pick say 3 countries and then go there for your month off and see what the place is like. This is better than taking for granted what people tell you and then doing something you may later regret.

That's excellent advice of Stumpy's, Pictou!

Thanks for the 28/28 explanation, Stumps. I'm sure there are plenty of others who didn't know what it meant, too. How would we know?

Thanks people.  Yes it is a rotational 28 days on 28 days off.  I am 41 and still employed.  I spent 8 months in San Miguel Allende and a year in Puerto Vallarta.  We found good schools and enjoyed the life style.  My wife had health problems and I took an office job which instigated our move to the States.  Have decided I dont like the office work and want to go back rotating again for lifestyle reasons.  I agree with your statements regarding seeing a country before moving.  That is the plan.  And you are also right in that school potential is key. 

My reserach shows a residential visa is difficult with some exceptions.  Panama still seems the most likley candidate although I am very interested in Singapore...both places seem to have good standard of living and school options but trying to poll the community for other suggestions.  We are a ways out yet from making a decision so want to see what others might share.
thanks for the feedback thus far!

Singapore would be a lot more central travel wise to wherever you are working. Good schooling in Singers but you would have to apply well in advance as the better schools are usually at capacity but there are a few of them to choose from.

Also take a look at Malaysia

Good that nice

jamalszm wrote:

Good that nice

What place ??

Meet other expats and join the events

OR