A quick guide to Certificate of Visa Exemption (VEC), Vietnam

Budman1 wrote:
peterpan75 wrote:

Hi All.

I'm confused. Does this affect us VEC holders? My guess is no but just wanted to put it out there to make sure.

http://residentvietnam.com/immigration- … -will-take

No the VEC program is a different program from the regular Visa programs.

I stand corrected on the above statement I made and will give a update sometime Monday.

Rick

Budman1 wrote:
Budman1 wrote:
peterpan75 wrote:

Hi All.

I'm confused. Does this affect us VEC holders? My guess is no but just wanted to put it out there to make sure.

http://residentvietnam.com/immigration- … -will-take

No the VEC program is a different program from the regular Visa programs.

I stand corrected on the above statement I made and will give a update sometime Monday.

Rick

Don't like the sound of that. I hope I will not be running into an issue at the end of the month!

Just got the word from someone who asked the immigration officer in D1 if these new laws would affect us VEC holders and he said they wouldn't. From what I can find on the net, all info seems to point in that direction.

I guess the prudent thing to do would be to apply for an extension well in advance of your "good through" date.  Does anyone know how far in advance of that date you can apply for an extension?

And/or has anyone gotten an extension issued in 2015?

RayG wrote:

I guess the prudent thing to do would be to apply for an extension well in advance of your "good through" date.  Does anyone know how far in advance of that date you can apply for an extension?

And/or has anyone gotten an extension issued in 2015?

Ray I'm going tomorrow to do the regular 3 month extension, I'll post when we get back. To answer your other question, 7 days is about the earliest and still not lose any days. We get same day service down here and a few years ago my wife turned them in two weeks ahead of the expiration date and we lost 13 days. Now we just take them 2 days ahead of the expiration date. Yes sir, the games they can play.

We just got done and extended for 3  more months, no problem. Those of us with the VEC issued before the 1st of Jan 2015 will continue to be allowed to extend as usual with the same 1 page document requesting it as in the past. They did not want to discuss any other visa types PERIOD. All they would is that the circular governing the new categories of visa's and implanting guidance should be published within the next 90 days or sooner.

Budman1 wrote:

We just got done and extended for 3  more months, no problem. Those of us with the VEC issued before the 1st of Jan 2015 will continue to be allowed to extend as usual with the same 1 page document requesting it as in the past. They did not want to discuss any other visa types PERIOD. All they would is that the circular governing the new categories of visa's and implanting guidance should be published within the next 90 days or sooner.

Great to know Rick. Can you please clarify when I should do it by if my 90 days is up on the 4th of Feb so I don't lose any days?! I'm a newbie that just needs this answered once.

Thanks.

And please...can someone confirm if it is the n14 or n5 that VEC holders need to use need to extend. Also, I am a vietkieu...do I need all the sponsor info filled in etc..

Does the form your looking at say this at the top?

ĐƠN ĐỀ NGHỊ CẤP, BỔ SUNG, SỬA ĐỔI THỊ THỰC, GIA HẠN TẠM TRÚ (1)
Application for visa renewal, replacement or modification, length of stay extension
(dùng cho người nước ngoài đang tạm trú tại Việt Nam)
To be completed by foreign non-permanent residents in Viet Nam

I just noticed your in Hanoi that might make a difference. If you were down here I would say to turn it on by the 2nd of Feb. All the blocks have to be filled in.

Rick

Budman1 wrote:

Does the form your looking at say this at the top?

ĐƠN ĐỀ NGHỊ CẤP, BỔ SUNG, SỬA ĐỔI THỊ THỰC, GIA HẠN TẠM TRÚ (1)
Application for visa renewal, replacement or modification, length of stay extension
(dùng cho người nước ngoài đang tạm trú tại Việt Nam)
To be completed by foreign non-permanent residents in Viet Nam

I just noticed your in Hanoi that might make a difference. If you were down here I would say to turn it on by the 2nd of Feb. All the blocks have to be filled in.

Rick

That's the n14 it looks like. Someone earlier posted that it's the n5 that us VEC holders would need. Glad I asked!
OK, will turn it in by end of Jan just to be safe....thanks Rick!

Budman1 wrote:

Thanks much for your information.  I'm envious of your quick service.  Here in HCM I've tried submitting my extension 5, 6, and 7 days in advance and they always have me come back on the last day authorized on my stay to pick up my passport.

RayG wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

Thanks much for your information.  I'm envious of your quick service.  Here in HCM I've tried submitting my extension 5, 6, and 7 days in advance and they always have me come back on the last day authorized on my stay to pick up my passport.

Good old country living Ray. We turn them in before 0830 and always have them back by 1000, today it was even quicker than that. In fairness they don't do as much business as Saigon of course.

Rick

You should be able to with no problem, as long as the person is a VN National with a valid ID card.

This is the one your going to have to get started working on:

Xác nhận (2) /Certified by
(ký, ghi rõ họ tên, chức vụ, đóng dấu)
Signature, fullname, title and seal

Nope, that's the chief cop where you live, he has to certify that your a good guy and legally living in his AO. Hope your landlord has you registered..

[moderated: deleted asked by author]

peterpan75 wrote:

I've used the N14 for the last almost 8 years and we've never been asked for a pp photo

To be completed by foreign non-permanent residents in Viet Nam  N14

To be completed by temporary resident foreigner in Viet Nam N5

A VEC extension is for a foreign non-permanent resident, things might be different up in Hanoi, but I don't think so.

Rick

peterpan75 wrote:

Ok guy this is what I would do if the LL won't sign it. Fill out the N5 or NA5 if that's what they want in Hanoi. Then get your sis-in-law to sign it and have you living at her address, then get the head cop where she lives to sign off on it. What the reception girl is trying to tell you sounds right.  I still believe the N14 is the correct form for the VEC, the N5 has too many questions about employments and is used to extend PRC's or TRC'. If that's what they want, well that's what they want and will accept.

Rick

Budman1 wrote:
peterpan75 wrote:

Ok guy this is what I would do if the LL won't sign it. Fill out the N5 or NA5 if that's what they want in Hanoi. Then get your sis-in-law to sign it and have you living at her address, then get the head cop where she lives to sign off on it. What the reception girl is trying to tell you sounds right.  I still believe the N14 is the correct form for the VEC, the N5 has too many questions about employments and is used to extend PRC's or TRC'. If that's what they want, well that's what they want and will accept.

Rick

I have no idea anymore Rick, really thought this would be more straightforward but silly me right?! Wouldn't this be an issue she never registered me at her house for her head cop? That's why the only way I see this happening is if I can get the landlords cop to sign it since they can get that easy I believe then my cousin as guarantor.

Wait for your LL to get back for now. Maybe the LL is getting you registered.

Unless the rules have changed in the past few months, as best as I recall, you can do the 90 day entry stamp renewal this way.
- Establish a file with your nearest police station 
- Make a photocopy of your passport and the visa (or VEC) in it, for use the week the passport is with Immigration.
- Just before the 90 day period, complete the required renewal form, take it to the police station for their signature.
- Take your passport,  the form, and the police file, to Immigration.and leave the documents there.   
- Immigration will give a paper designating a date to pickup the documents. (7 days)
- Pick up your passport with a new stamp, and the file, and take them back to the local police to update the file.
With your letter a surrogate can submit & collect your documents at Immigration and the Police.

- Repeat every 90 days.

That's the way I see it with a VEC ... just carry on as normal.
I just came back in on a VEC on the 25th Jan and got my entry stamped till three months from the day I entered. Then as it says above, just before the 3 months is up, visit the Police Station with the filled in Application form, get the police to stamp and sign to say you have been  good person :) ... take it to Immigration with passport, pay $10 and get another stamp in the passport for a further 3 months ... keep repeating till VEC runs out and get another one... repeat ....
I

Budman1 wrote:

I'm sure they will get me registered, my issue is filling out the guarantor part by my cousin in another district. :(

peterpan75 wrote:
Budman1 wrote:

I'm sure they will get me registered, my issue is filling out the guarantor part by my cousin in another district. :(

They have already told you about that:

"The reception girl seemed to point out it guarantor and police should all be in the same district because it should reflect where I am living?" Might want to pay attention to that lady.

Maybe if you get registered the LL might change his/her tune and sign the first block on the bottom of the form. If not I think the cops are going to have a hard time certifying it. Remember their the last stop before you turn it in for renewal  So that block has to be filled in along with the sponsors, and your address in the Item 1, and 2. 2-2 at the top of the form,  before the cops sign off on it. Good luck.

Rick

I use the N5 form to have police stamped and handed into immigration.

Than after I receive my passport back from immigration I hand in the N12/M Registration Card of Stay form to the local police to inform them I will be staying another 3 months.

khanh44 wrote:

I use the N5 form to have police stamped and handed into immigration.

Than after I receive my passport back from immigration I hand in the N12/M Registration Card of Stay form to the local police to inform them I will be staying another 3 months.

We got it easy I guess. 1 N14 form signed ,cops sign off on it, take to Immergration and get our PP stamped in less than 4 hours, end of story for 3 months. It does help that we own our own house and lived here for about 8 years straight, and it's a small town were everybody knows and trusts us. Still don't understand about the requirement for a N5 vs the N14 we've used all these years and the N5 is never been suggested or requested by Immergration.

I'm jealous of the 4 hours. Takes a week to get it stamped and have my passport back.

In Bien Hoa the date you hand your paperwork into immigration is your renewal date and not the date you receive it back.

But in Vietnam each city may do it differently.

peterpan75 wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

In Bien Hoa the date you hand your paperwork into immigration is your renewal date and not the date you receive it back.

Haha..of course they probably all do, I wouldn't expect anything else! Well, my landlords brother insisted on filling in my extend to date to 3 months from the Feb. 4th, hope that's not an another issue.

No won't be a issue on either question, on the last one they'll more than likely start your new extension on the date it was submitted. Does your LL Bro have $$$$$ dancing in his head like Twinkle Bell after all this hard work he's doing??

Budman1 wrote:
peterpan75 wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

Haha..of course they probably all do, I wouldn't expect anything else! Well, my landlords brother insisted on filling in my extend to date to 3 months from the Feb. 4th, hope that's not an another issue.

No won't be a issue on either question, on the last one they'll more than likely start your new extension on the date it was submitted. Does your LL Bro have $$$$$ dancing in his head like Twinkle Bell after all this hard work he's doing??

Haha..no, they're swimming in money it seems so I think I'm OK on that end, just curious about how to work out the next three months once I say I'm leaving. Maybe I'll take a small vaca to thailand before then :)

//Starting a new thread

Why start a new thread?   :(   I hope that people will keep posting here as that's the thread I get notifications for.

peterpan75 wrote:
RayG wrote:

Why start a new thread?   :(   I hope that people will keep posting here as that's the thread I get notifications for.

Just got back from the Hanoi office, they denied my guarantor as being my landlord after being signed by chief cop and everything. I feel so defeated, you would think being a Vietnamese person with this exemption would account for something..it's not like they just give them to anybody. Now off to have my cousin sign and she'll have to pay her district cop some coffee money to sign.

Can anyone that is in a similar situation confirm I will have the same issue in Saigon or Danang?

Is this just an uptight North thing?!

Oh hell no don't even try that. You've already got too many reds flags flying in that place. Now after they denied it with the head cops signature your going to turn around with a new request with a different sponsor, different address and another cops signature? I tried to tell you to do that the first time, but that's water under the bridge at this point. Take a trip to the border on the bus pay the visa fee for crossing  do a little shopping and come right back and get it stamped at the border. They'll give you another three months free.  Might want to take a few pp photo's with you just in case.

Rick

peterpan75 wrote:
Budman1 wrote:
peterpan75 wrote:

Just got back from the Hanoi office, they denied my guarantor as being my landlord after being signed by chief cop and everything. I feel so defeated, you would think being a Vietnamese person with this exemption would account for something..it's not like they just give them to anybody. Now off to have my cousin sign and she'll have to pay her district cop some coffee money to sign.

Can anyone that is in a similar situation confirm I will have the same issue in Saigon or Danang?

Is this just an uptight North thing?!

Oh hell no don't even try that. You've already got too many reds flags flying in that place. Now after they denied it with the head cops signature your going to turn around with a new request with a different sponsor, different address and another cops signature? I tried to tell you to do that the first time, but that's water under the bridge at this point. Take a trip to the border on the bus pay the visa fee for crossing  do a little shopping and come right back and get it stamped at the border. They'll give you another three months free.  Might want to take a few pp photo's with you just in case.

Rick

Wait Rick, so are you actually telling me they could deny me again after me getting my cousins info?! The lady literally talk to my cousin on my phone and explained this is what you need to do for him if he wants to stay. Are there no rules in this place??!!

That bus idea sounds like a lot of trouble, time and money, I have no idea how I would even start. Ugh...this whole thing really sucks.

If you think it'll work go for it. Me? I'd be on the bus Gus. See the problem is most of the guys that have VEC's up in your area are married to locals and so the sponsor thing is no big deal, the wife just signs it and they live in the same house together.

peterpan75 wrote:
Budman1 wrote:
peterpan75 wrote:

Wait Rick, so are you actually telling me they could deny me again after me getting my cousins info?! The lady literally talk to my cousin on my phone and explained this is what you need to do for him if he wants to stay. Are there no rules in this place??!!

That bus idea sounds like a lot of trouble, time and money, I have no idea how I would even start. Ugh...this whole thing really sucks.

If you think it'll work go for it. Me? I'd be on the bus Gus. See the problem is most of the guys that have VEC's up in your area are married to locals and so the sponsor thing is no big deal, the wife just signs it and they live in the same house together.

I really had no idea this would be such an issue, I've been religiously asking questions regarding process and finally do it, and this comes up.

OK, worst case scenario, I try to do this, try it on Monday and get denied. Any links, cost, info, etc on how I can do this bus trip?

Thanks again Rick!

Try your option Monday, if it doesn't work I'll send you a silver bullet for a POC in Hanoi to give you a hand/or take care of it.

Rick

RayG wrote:

My apologies Ray! I was worried my question wasn't specific enough about VECs to be in this thread and was also hoping to get the attn of any expats with young children.

Jaitch had suggested reclaiming VN citizenship since I was born in VN but it seemed too big of a step for just wanting to spend 1 to 2 years in VN.

I was ready to resort to constantly renewing 3-month tourist visas. But checking the school's schedule, we'd need to make border runs 5x a year if we don't want the kids to miss school, or 4x a year and miss school on two of the runs. This seems like an utter nightmare. But reclaiming citizenship seems too big of a leap. Would a VEC be our best option? Will we need to make border runs for visa renewals? And I'm wondering if it would be easier to apply for a VEC in HCMC than in NYC. I could have my aunt and cousins as sponsors.