House-maid

what is the best way to look for a housemaid on Bali?
(I'm looking for one in Sanur.)

Talk to a neighbour & explain your need or someone who stay near by or may be through your agent ! Explain them your requirement and they will get you one.Donnt get a random maid without any reference :)

Hey Yuri!

Good to hear that you made it, and now settling in!

The absolute best way to go about finding a really good maid (pembantu) is to visit with the kepal desa (head of the village) where you are.  There are several desas, banjars in Sanur, so you want to go to the right guy. 

Just ask around with the Balinese youve surely already met and now forming friendships with as to who is that person.

When you visit this village head at his compound, bring along a kilo of coffee, a kilo of sugar and some sweet cakes.  That is the Balinese way of calling on someone they are meeting for the first time.  Trust me, this token will alone have great positive impact for you. 

Tell him of your need for a good pembantu and youll be assured to find a perfect one who is competent, trustworthy and reliable.   

In that manner you can have piece of mind.  No girl/lady/woman that he recommends would ever risk the shame to the kepala desa by theft or some other bad behavior. 

Moreover, and just as important, your visit will be taken as a sign of your respect for the village where you live.  The importance of this cannot be over emphasized.  You might also consider volunteering a modest monthly contribution for the bajar temples.  Consider it in your mind to be a residence tax.  With that, your home/villa/house whatever will fall under the protection of the banjar pecalang, the night security that patrols the banjars at night, and who sound the alarm should something not be right, a burglar for example.

Welcome to Bali Yuri, and the best of luck to you.

Meeting the Village Head with Sweets,I am Amazed to know this fact such culture is being practised here which we do in our Villages at India :)
This is the best info and quiet knowledgeable :)
My Respect to you & the Culture :)

thank you Roy,
it sounds like very useful info, as I always try to conform to local customs and respect people I settle near to: apart from   convenience of communication, it's just fun.

Yuri, as long as you've cleaned that football "war paint" off your face, I suspect you'll do fine!   :lol:

Cheers!  Roy

in fact, I had that war paint when I lived in Spain (I made it during soccer world cup that Spain eventually won), so it was the conformity I'm talking about:)