Expatriat pension

To work for expatriate pension

Gosh, what a well thought out post.
It explains your intentions as a Picasso painting explains the weather forecast.

Maybe you might want to introduce your self and explain what you mean????

Bob K

Most of the countries don't have any pension scheme for the expatriates and I do want to appeal for the community to make collective efforts for the pension for the expetriats all over the world.

That will never happen

Mospori wrote:

Most of the countries don't have any pension scheme for the expatriates and I do want to appeal for the community to make collective efforts for the pension for the expetriats all over the world.

Here in the Cayman Islands in the Caribbean, there is very strong resistance by lower-paid migrant workers to having pension-contributions deducted from their wages.  And who can blame them? Your idea is a non-starter, Mospori.

Mospori wrote:

You are being a bit ambitious with this one. Why would any country that has expats working in it want to set up a pension scheme for someone who is not a citizen ?? They have enough problems with looking after their own people without the extra burden you are proposing.   
As Gordon has said, low income earners would resist having to pay out money each week when they are struggling to make ends meet. 
You are on a road to nowhere with this idea.

How long would one have to live in a country to be eligible for this pension?

In many European and some other countries it is compulsory to contribute to the local pension scheme, even for expatriates working there for a limited time. However, to get anything out of the system, you need a minimum pay-in period that most expats never meet (e.g. in Germany 5 years). So this is effectively an additional tax for them!

About the ONLY good thing about Brazil is their INSS pension scheme, expats are required to pay in and while they'll never receive a retirement pension for age unless they remain here and contribute until they reach 65, if they are injured on the job or if they die while contributing to the pension scheme they/their heirs will receive a pension.

beppi wrote:

In many European and some other countries it is compulsory to contribute to the local pension scheme, even for expatriates working there for a limited time. However, to get anything out of the system, you need a minimum pay-in period that most expats never meet (e.g. in Germany 5 years). So this is effectively an additional tax for them!

Beppi - and James too - that's what is called a "Defined Benefits" scheme, which is a real swindle for migrant workers. What we brought in here - over the passionate protests of the politicians***, who saw no votes in it - was a Chile-inspired "Defined Contributions" scheme, which is fairer, at least on paper. Here, everybody must pay 5% of his wage to a Private Pensions provider (and the employer must match it), and it's held in an account in the employee's name. It is invested in US stocks and bonds in his name, and he receives an accounting every quarter. Two years after he leaves the Islands, the Trustees send him the balance of his account. If his wage is low, the balance won't be much; and some employees steal the contributions before they reach the Trustees, but the theory is sound.
*** Naturally, they wanted a disguised Income Tax, where migrant workers would never get to benefit. There was a huge fuss over this. The Chamber of Commerce (of which I was the Manager at the time) mobilised public opinion to good effect. I was made the scapegoat, and had to fight deportation for years.

Just as a matter of interest some countries outside of Europe do have pension schemes that include expatriates.
In 1960 at the age of 15½ yrs. I started working in Singapore as an apprentice engineer in a ship repair works and during the next 2 and a bit yrs. I was paying into the Singapore government Central Provident Fund. When I left (with my parents) the time in Singapore was too little to be considered for a future pension so all my mandatory subscriptions were paid back to me in a lump sum. Had some spenders for the trip back by ship.  :)

its depend upon the rule and not the service length....

Mospori wrote:

its depend upon the rule and not the service length....

Could you please provide some more information about the rules and length of service. Thanks.

I measn various countries has various rules as philippines paid afer 10 years of deduction of some amount on monthly basis from expatriate

Find activities and meet other expats

OR