Cost of living in Cyprus

Hi everybody,

It would be very interesting and helpful to start a topic about the cost of living in Cypus.

Don't forget to mention where you are living

Let's compare the:

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Cyprus?)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Did I forget something or is this list complete enough?

Thanks in advance for your participation!

sent by sueincyprus, Jan 2007

OK, well we're living in Larnaka in Cyprus, and reading this thread I can begin to see why people think Cyprus is expensive!  Less so than the UK, on the whole, but more than many other Mediterranean countries.  Partly this is because the Cyprus pound has been kept artificially strong - it's currently worth about 1.7 euros, although as we're joining the euro at the end of the year, I think they'll have to do something about that.

But in the meantime, prices in Cyprus pounds:

> accommodation prices

We were paying £250 for a spacious four-bedroomed bungalow with a huge garden - however it needed a huge amount of work as it was in fairly bad condition.  Typically £200 would pay for a 2-bed apartment, and a 4-bed house with garden would be more like £400-500.   House prices for buying are cheaper than UK, so it's worth buying if you live here long-term.  This is what we've now done, having sold our UK home.

Ha.  No trains or underground here.  Buses run once an hour between major cities, six days a week, until about 6pm - cost around £2.   People mostly use the shared taxi system, which is about £3.50 per person between towns.  Within a town, people drive, walk or cycle.

We typically spent about £350 a month for a family of four including two teenage boys.

We pay 400 per year insurance to cover us all for hospital stays only.   Emergency care is free. To visit a doctor of any sort, there's a standard fee of £15, usually.   

> education prices (if you need to pay)

Greek-speaking schools are free.  We educated our sons at home, but friends have three children in a local English-speaking private school, and pay about 500 per month.   

We pay about £50 per month for electricity, on average.  That includes a fair amount of air conditioning in the summer, and electric water heating in the winter (solar heat is great for most of the year).  Gas central heating (bottled gas) costs about £100 per month during the coldest months (basically Dec-Feb).

Petrol is about 50c per litre.

Internet about £15 per month for broadband, standing charge on phone £6.  Mobile charges are very good - a pay-as-you-go card of £10 lasts my 18yo son about six months.  A contract costs about £1.50 per month including several free text messages.  Calls are very cheap, and texts cost 2c each.

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

About £10 - £15 each, although you can pay more at really posh places.

> prices of a beer and of a coffee in a regular pub

No idea!  Coffee at a sea-front restaurant usually costs about £1.50.

No idea about cigarettes either, sorry.  But I think they must be pretty cheap as loads of people smoke here.  Yuk.

Now we own our own house, we reckon about £750 a month is more than sufficient for two adults and one teenage son (the other is no longer at home) - that includes £70 for the son's music lessons.

"We were paying £250 for a spacious four-bedroomed bungalow with a huge garden"

I wish I could find something that cheap. That's what most seem to charge for a 1 room apartment /month.

Is there any website I can check out with cheap prices of apartments or houses to rent long term?

Hi Tagge,
Did you check out the Cyprus Classifieds -> Accomodation section?

Yes, it's not many ads there. :/

Hi everybody,

It would be very interesting and helpful to start a topic about the cost of living in Cypus.

Don't forget to mention where you are living

Let's compare the:

> accommodation prices (how much does it cost to rent or to buy an accommodation in Cyprus?)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

Please help me , I am coming to Cyprus within 2 months.

Thanks in advance for your participation!

Hi There

I will give you my cost .....to compare to others

Renting a 3 bedroom house in a normal area 700

Electricity 380 every two months

Food 2 adults & 2 small kids, including toiletries 600

No public transport here !!!

Education school, Greek is Free , English private schools starting at 450 per month

Hope it help a bit

I am 30 married husband 34 2 children 7 and 10.
Moved to larnaca area in march.

My children go to greek school so free and very good.

Petrol we pay 30 per week for a vw golf

Food  around 100 per week including toiletries and washing things

Electric 150 every 2 months

Water 40 every 2 months

bin collection 100 every 6 months

Larger 2,30 pint vodka coke 4,50

Cigarettes 3,70 for 25

We find frozen food especially pizzas very expensive ie 7 euro for a restarante dr otker.

Eating out can be fairly cheap but you have to know wher to go, never use the tourist areas for anything.

Clothes are expensive shoes are cheap.

[Moderated: off topic]

Hello,

I thought I would post some current living costs for new people joining the forum, since prices have changed a little since this thread was started.

I live in a new 2 bedroom flat in Strovolos Nicosia - rent EUR500 per month

Private school fees for my 10 year old around EUR600 per month, plus uniform costs etc (public schools are free)

Nursery fees for my 2 year old - were EUR380 per month including lunch, in central Nicosia, but she is moving to a local one and the cost has come down to EUR300

I spend about EUR300 per month on food shopping - buying cleaning materials, tined food and some freezer items from Lidl and the fresh fruit/veg, meat etc from Carrefour

Electricity about EUR90 every 2 months in winter and about double that amount in summer when we use the A/C

I find chain stores like M&S and Zara more expensive than they are back in the UK, mostly because their sales are not as frequent or as good

Latte/Cappuccino/Frappe between 3-4 euros

A meal in a midrange restaurant around 25 euros per person 

Mobile phone - Blackberry services and 140 minutes 18 euros per month

Basic Cable and internet - 23 euros per month

I'm sure I have left a load of things out, but I hope these costs are of some help

Hello experiment.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thank you for your contribution.

Regards

Karen :)

which means 1800 euro apprx for you ?

In case you wud like to share something about Transport since in the same thread, some friend said No Transport

Also by any chance, if u r aware with any Indian grocery shops ?

BTW, whats the quality and quantity of Veg food items there ?

Overall what's ur exp in Cyprus and how do u feel about life ?

Rahul

experiment wrote:

Hello,

I thought I would post some current living costs for new people joining the forum, since prices have changed a little since this thread was started.

I live in a new 2 bedroom flat in Strovolos Nicosia - rent EUR500 per month

Private school fees for my 10 year old around EUR600 per month, plus uniform costs etc (public schools are free)

Nursery fees for my 2 year old - were EUR380 per month including lunch, in central Nicosia, but she is moving to a local one and the cost has come down to EUR300

I spend about EUR300 per month on food shopping - buying cleaning materials, tined food and some freezer items from Lidl and the fresh fruit/veg, meat etc from Carrefour

Electricity about EUR90 every 2 months in winter and about double that amount in summer when we use the A/C

I find chain stores like M&S and Zara more expensive than they are back in the UK, mostly because their sales are not as frequent or as good

Latte/Cappuccino/Frappe between 3-4 euros

A meal in a midrange restaurant around 25 euros per person 

Mobile phone - Blackberry services and 140 minutes 18 euros per month

Basic Cable and internet - 23 euros per month

I'm sure I have left a load of things out, but I hope these costs are of some help