Schools in Bahrain - BSB rumors

I was reading through school topics on BSB and St Chris... and have a Q ref BSB...

We have just returned to Bahrain - having been away for 2 years and are looking at school options for our 9 year old. BSB is one option, however we are hearing lots of rumors about the school and hearing that students and teachers alike are fleeing due to change of management. Not really sure what to believe .

Anyone who can comment - shed some light here??

I work for a relocation company and there are lots of teachers and students moving. More from other schools rather than BSB. This is due mostly to employees getting to the end of their contract and looking for new locations. The majority are going to China, Malaysia and the UK.
Being a teacher is a bit different to being in a different profession - moving around the world enhances their CV and gives them experiences to share with the kids they teach.
BSB is a great school and the change in management has enhanced it, not ruined it.

My son goes to St Chris as BSB was full when we arrived here in Bahrain. Although I do like St Chris I would prefer him to be in BSB but he won't leave his mates!!

Good day

We have a very close friend who works for BSB and yes, a lot of staff have left and there have been many changes, but the teachers who are there are dedicated to the children and their education and the level of education remains constant and is improving.  It is still a good school.

Unfortunately, due to the small size of Bahrain and stay at home moms who like to talk, the rumour mill in Bahrain is fast spreading and can be vicious and is generally based on a bunch of half-truths.  We have learnt to take most rumours with a pinch of salt and carry on.

I agree with both of the above, BSB has great committed teachers that move on in their careers to experience new environments and cultures.

I am a BSB parent and can wholeheartedly agree with what Raybooysen has said above.

A few bitter, twisted people with nothing to do can take anything and turn it into whatever they want to believe.  Yes there is new Management, yes teachers are leaving but my child is doing brilliantly at BSB - in fact exceptionally.  Look at the results for the last couple of years.  This school produces well rounded, smart, good, kind and happy kids. The teaching staff are great.

There is a huge waiting list - my 4 year old can't get in even though we have a 9 year old there already - not the sign of a failing school.

Thank you all for your replies... We will go and see for ourselves - and take it from there.. Your feedback and input all highly appreciated. :)

Hello,
I would definitely check out the school very thoroughly. I am a teacher and I have heard a lot of not so positive things about the school from people who work there. Granted, it could be due to people who enjoy drama and the like, but I would be careful.
Good luck!

Update... We went to have a look our selves, and found the school both inspiring and positive... We waitlisted our son, had him assessed and were fortunate to get a placement after the summer hols (merely because they have added an extra class to the setup). We are thrilled we got this opportunity least not as his current school is too Laissez-faire for our liking.

Fantastic news. I can't understand IndieDarling's comments but maybe they are from teachers who have not had their contracts renewed due to the fact they were not up to standard. BSB is an amazing school and is only getting better and better under the new leadership.

I'm glad it worked out for you! :-)

Great news!

We look forward to seeing you in September - Year 5?

good luck

On the contrary Scottrace and Josnuggles. One area where BSB excel is in recruiting and appointing topnotch staff so terminations within the first 90 days are rare. Problems arise when staff become aware that liberties are being taken with their contracts due to the BSB owner having financial problems which are then dumped onto staff with blatant disregard for the law. It is therefore understandable the BSB then attribute staff objections to such malpractice as 'sour grapes'. There is no smoke without fire. Absolute power corrupts absolutely -  John Dalberg Acton.

I am sorry musnut I do not know why you have singled me out for comment here.  I have said nothing other than what I know from my own experience.

I am and have been a parent of children at BSB in both the Junior and Senior School.  I have my own views, from personal experience, on why some of those teachers are not returning in September.  I also have my own views, from personal experience, of other schools on this very small Island. 

You appear from your profile, if it is correct, not to live in Bahrain although you allege to aspire to be here and to teach here.  In that case, I question why your sole intent on joining this site appears to be to post on every topic concerning education about your dissatisfaction with the school.

Strange indeed.

My apologies Scottrace. I have just edited to include Josnuggles in my objective response to disparaging comments made regarding BSB staff who have been treated abominably by the BSB. As far as I know, before 2011 there were no negative reports, and now there are many. Students, parents and staff deserve due consideration, and employment contracts should not be breached by the BSB.

Wow - you really have an issue with the BSB don't you?  And no clear reason as to why.

I have not made any disparaging comments about the BSB staff.  Please read what I have said before you accuse me of such things.

musnut wrote:

My apologies Scottrace. I have just edited to include Josnuggles in my objective response to disparaging comments made regarding BSB staff who have been treated abominably by the BSB. As far as I know, before 2011 there were no negative reports, and now there are many. Students, parents and staff deserve due consideration, and employment contracts should not be breached by the BSB.

I am close friends with many staff at BSB - some who are staying and some who are leaving. There is less activity happening at BSB than at other schools. BSB just got more media attention unfortunately.

Musnut - I suggest you comment on what you are qualified to discuss - this forum is to discuss personal experiences and give advice regarding your time here in Bahrain. It isn't the place for people to rant about things they don't actually experience first hand.

As I said, there is no smoke without fire. The media also report on positive issues. Perhaps the BSB would attract more positive media attention by making a public apology?

Apology for what???? They have done nothing wrong.  As I said earlier - comment when 100% sure of your facts. It's obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about

"There are non so blind as those who will not see" - Matthew Henry. If you really want to know, listen to the 'rumours' because they are facts! End of discussion.

It wasn't a discussion.  It was one person ranting about something he knows nothing about.

I get the feeling you applied for a job there, got turned down and are now bitter

musnut wrote:

"There are non so blind as those who will not see" - Matthew Henry. If you really want to know, listen to the 'rumours' because they are facts! End of discussion.

You have a lot to learn about the Middle East and being an expat if you believe that every "rumour" you hear/read here is fact.

You have had your say and it's up to everyone here whether they want to take on board your comments or those of us who actually have children there and who are doing extremely well thank you very much.  No school is perfect, not even the one that is "non profit" - it also has serious issues which I hear first hand from parents with children there.  However, as I have said time and time and time again - parents must visit all schools they want to consider and then decide how they wish their children to be educated and make a decision.

A bit of advice, if your profile is true (which I am beginning to doubt), and you really want to move to Bahrain and be an "International Teacher" then perhaps you may want to consider being a little more professional.  The world is now truly a small place.