Where we should live?

Hello all, my name is Jillian and my husband and I will be moving to Auckland in the first week of July, 2014. I am looking for suggestions on where we should live, considering that we will not have a car. I will be working at the University of Auckland in the city centre, and want to live close enough that I can bike or take a bus without more than a 30 minute commute, but don't necessarily want to live in a tiny apartment in the CBD. Suggestions? How is bus transportation in Auckland? Reliable? Are trains better? I'm getting excited but we absolutely need to nail down a place to live! Any help would be much appreciated  :D

Hi JillianLiota,

I created a new thread with your questions on the New Zealand forum, it may help you to receive more constructive responses from the members. :)

Thanks,

Priscilla

JillianLiota wrote:

Hello all, my name is Jillian and my husband and I will be moving to Auckland in the first week of July, 2014. I am looking for suggestions on where we should live, considering that we will not have a car. I will be working at the University of Auckland in the city centre, and want to live close enough that I can bike or take a bus without more than a 30 minute commute, but don't necessarily want to live in a tiny apartment in the CBD. Suggestions? How is bus transportation in Auckland? Reliable? Are trains better? I'm getting excited but we absolutely need to nail down a place to live! Any help would be much appreciated  :D

I suggest you find a good map of Auckland city, check out transportation routes on the map, then choose say 3 areas on those routes then check out the accommodation options in those areas. Just be aware that rentals in Auckland are very expensive.
For cost of living etc www.numbeo.com

Hi there am an expat NZer living in Thailand, am from Auckland and some years ago attended Auckland University.

My suggestion if you wish to live somewhere within a reasonable commute into the city, am assuming you're working in the city campus.

First of all there are lots of apartments for rent right in the city. If that's not your thing then I would suggest areas such as, Parnell, Remuera, Grafton, Ponsonby, Grey Lynn, Kingsland, Newmarket, Mt Eden. These are all inner city neighborhoods which are on good bus and train routes. Also riding a bicycle is realistic from these areas, however be very careful, there have been quite a lot of nasty accidents involving bikes, often resulting in death. Cycle lanes are around Auckland, but not everywhere.

If you want a guide to rents etc, have a look at www.trademe.co.nz. This site probably has the largest collection of rental properties in the country. Be prepared for fairly high rents, there is currently a shortage of good rental property in Auckland,

Send me a message if you get stuck, I have friends in the real estate business in Auckland, maybe they can help.