Marriage. papperwork.

I have a Vietnamese girl-friend, I want to live in Vietnam, learn Vietnamese and never go back to my country.

If I get married, it will give me residency, but will it also give me a work permit and/or investment licence equivalent?

As if I get married, I need to work some how to support my wife!? but no where does it say that marriage gives you anything except residency.

Also, there are lots of requirements of paperwork that would be from my country (I am from Spain but resident in England). Like criminal record, can I get that while in Vietnam, or must I get that before I leave?

They have changed rules for work permits (it's more complicated now), and i don't know how getting married applies. There may be different requirements for different types of jobs (language teachers need a university degree, for example, to get a work permit for language teaching). 
From what I understand, if you have been in Vietnam for over a year you need a check done in Vietnam.  You may also need one from your last country of residency - something from abroad in the last six months, I have heard from one Vietnamese source who has to obtain work permits and residency cards for people.. You may wish to consult with an immigration lawyer, or agent, for the most accurate information, and to help you get all the necessary paperwork done.

how do I get the criminal check done? via embassy? or in the country before I leave?

You are amazingly running to stay in Vietnam  :D
For that you tried many ways: 1. Visa extension, 2. Start a business and get investment license to get resident permit, 3. Study online TEFL to get job and work permit...  at last 4. A girl friend to get resident permit? Really admiring you.
The fourth option will give you a 5 year VEC (Visa Exemption Certificate) which you should renew after each 3 months or need to move out from Vietnam and re-enter, if you marry her legally.  :)  But no Work Permit!

smellymoo wrote:

I don't want to be kicked out of Vietnam.  I want to start a programming business. Also how much does the investment license cost? can you get work in Da Nang with a online TEFL course that gives you certificate?
I have a Vietnamese girl-friend, I want to live in Vietnam, learn Vietnamese and never go back to my country.
If I get married, it will give me residency.

thanks :). Yeah, will do almost anything to stay in Vietnam!

Visa, starting a business are all easier in Cambodia. Sounds like you are exploring your options. Marriage paperwork is a real pain. Get the work permit, then the temporary residency card. Remember a couple of million dong can go a long way to making things happen here.

smellymoo wrote:

thanks :). Yeah, will do almost anything to stay in Vietnam!

Haha wow, you don't hear this very often!  Nice!

The problem is I am not eligible for a work permit, so it's either marriage or start a business :).

If you are married in Vietnam you can get a marriage exception visa.  You have to renew it every three months.

Greglb wrote:

If you are married in Vietnam you can get a marriage exception visa.  You have to renew it every three months.

It's not a "Marriage exception visa" It's called a "certificate of Visa exemption".It's normally valid for 5 years,as long as your passport is as well.You either have to leave Vietnam every 90 days,or report to an Immigration office to get a permission to stay stamp.I've just gone to Cambodia when this is necessary,as I live only 8km from the border,but it might not be practical for everyone to do this.Friends have gone to Immigration to get the 90 day stamp,and say it's very easy and costs about 200,000 VND a time.As a foreigner,getting married in Vietnam to a Vietnamese person is far from easy.There is a lot of paperwork,and you have to jump through a lot of hoops.You can either do it all yourself,in which case it takes time,or pay someone to do all the paperwork for you.You will still have to be "interviewed" by a Vietnamese psychiatrist,and questioned by the local "Peoples Committee" (which is quite an interesting experience!!) However,once you are married,and have the VEC,it's actually very easy to live here.I know I could get a temporary residence certificate if I wanted to,but I can't see the point really,the VEC is OK for my circumstances.