Looking for a job at Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia.

Hello, i'am looking for a job at Denpasar, Indonesia.
My current proffesion job in the Netherlands is  security guard receptionist at hotels all over the south of Holland. Before i was a security guard i work for about 20 years as a baker in small an big industrial bakery.
Beside the Dutch language i speak and write, German, English and French.

Forget it, you can't get a legal job doing any of those things in Bali.
Any job that can be done by a local, is done by a local, so you have zero chance of a work permit.

Even when i'am married by an Indonesian woman?

Being married to an Indonesian is not going to make any difference unless she owns a company/business, and you were going to work in that company/business owned by her.  Even then getting a work permit here in Bali wouldn't necessarily be guaranteed.

She has indeed her own bussines at Denpasar.

George159 wrote:

Even when i'am married by an Indonesian woman?

Yes, even when you're married to a local.
You can assist in your wife's business, informally.

Are you married to an Indonesian already or is it a "plan b"??

No is not plan B, whe want to get married anyway!

So you are not married yet, then it is also no option to work for her.

Seems a very difficult mission for you to find a job here

Yes i know, but i talk to somebody who find a job in Bali at a hotel, because of his experience at hotels in Europe and i hope for me the same because i work at hotels all over the south of Holland, for about 14 years now as a recptionist and security guard. And i know i'am very good at what i do and i always work for 200% and with hart and soul! Just think positive!

You will not get a job in a hotel as receptionist or security etc....those positions are filled with local people.

It will be wasting time to try that if you want to get a working permit.

And without working permit you will not be able to do any work in Indonesia.

If they catch you working here without holding proper documents, you take the risk of paying a fine up to 500 mio Rp and / or 5 years prison!!

All of the above is correct but, as ubudian has mentioned on other threads, Bali is cracking down on illegal workers.
If your friend gets you that illegal job, you could find yourself in deep trouble.
You will also have to fund your own deportation.

Not a good start to married life.

Happyhour!  Nice to have you on board!   :top:

George, employment laws in Indonesia, particularly as they relate to foreigners, is often subject to interpretation as well as selective enforcement as determined by Provincial authorities.

With that in mind, sure, it was once very possible to find expats here on Bali who had  illegally been working here for many past years.  These days however, such expats are near impossible to find as sooner or later, given the current emphasis of cracking down on these illegal foreign workers, immigration and the police catch up with them.

The reason for the current emphasis is two fold.

-Reason one is the high unemployment rate in Indonesia. 

-Reason two is the ASEAN agreement which goes into full swing next year.  Under the ASEAN agreement, citizens of ASEAN member countries will be able to move freely within other ASEAN member countries and be easily employed in their new host ASEAN member country.  Indonesia anticipates a greater influx of workers as opposed to an out flow.  A side effect of this ASEAN agreement is that while it is currently very difficult for foreigners to find work in Indonesia, starting next year, it will only get worse.

Hi Ubudian, thanks your warm welcome  :cheers:

Regarding the ASIAN agreement as of 2015, I wonder how it will work. The high unemployment rate will most likely sky rocking, now most foreign workers here are from China, Japan and Korea and if they will be free to work in here it will be not only a financial loss to the Government (if no need for work permit) also much more workers from the neighboring countries will try there luck in here.

I personally believe that the Government will still try to put some limitations as otherwise things can get out of control.

In one or the other way, for the western expat it's getting more and more difficult residing and working in Indonesia.

South Korea is a part of ASEAN.  But, neither Japan or China are ASEAN member countries.

ASEAN…The Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

The expectation is that more Indonesians will likely seek employment in South Korea than South Koreans looking for employment in Indonesia.

If the ASEAN agreement produces too much disparity, thus resulting in any ASEAN member country being too negatively impacted by the agreement, then changes/revisions would be expected.  That's the way it's supposed to go anyway.  As for most things around here, time will tell.

Thanks for the background..... :cool:

George159, have your wife start a holding company under her name with a major investment in Hotel Management training. Then she can hire out your services as part of a traineeship program. As you are Dutch, you should check in with the other Dutch expats on the Dutch language section of indahnesia.com.

They will steer you in the right direction.

Okay thanks,
I wi'll talk about it with my girlfriend!
How do i become a member of the dutch expats???

Kind regard,

George

Hello George

Just click on http://indonesiepagina.nl/

and take it from there. Many members living and occupying their time (euphemism alert!) all over Indonesia.

Bali's Governor told those attending his monthly open-house town meeting he wants to see every worker in the tourism sector to earn a minimum Rp. 10 million ( US$870) per month. Adding: In principle, I want to see workers in Bali prosper. Don't let them suffer privations, even though (the privations) are permitted within the law.

Source: http://blog.indahnesia.com/mainpage/mainpage.php

I am sure that you can live that well on less than the above, George. You could probably get everybody in public service (!!??!!) or working for the private sector to go for that. I am sure that businesses will really see the advantage of opening or maintaining businesses in Bali at that rate & labor productivity.

(moderated : keep that kind of comment for you please)

Sorry to disappoint you ole boy, but now with full Indonesian citizenship I can work for anyone I wish without family intervention.

(...)

Indostock, why you don't invite George to come over and work for you??

With all your knowledge and great advises he might consider.....

what does "advises" mean, happyhic?

The local INS must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel...

Local INS = immigration and naturalisation department Denpasar or whatever they are called...

Lets not correct each others grammar or spelling here. Advice cannot be plural but you can add an s to advise in the right context and useage. However some words in the English language can be confusing to those using it as their second.
Native English speakers will not normally point out such trivial language points or errros because the message is still understood. Ironically it is other people using English which is not their first language who do so, which is a meaningless action to all.

The local INS must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel...

Hah!  :lol:   Maybe so, but Im not complaining!  No more trips to kantor imigrasi!  No more visa fees! Yahoo!  :top:

BTW, the naturalization of foreign citizens is handled in Jakarta, not Denpasar.

Hello everybody,

Can we go back to the initial subject now please?

Thanks,

Priscilla  :top:

Hello Priscilla

Thanks for your timely intervention!

OK, to be on topic. I suggested to George that he could check out one of the alternate expatriate websites with a focus on their Dutch members. It may be surprising to know how much the old colonial power is still involved with day-to-day affairs here in Indonesia. Many Dutch nationals live throughout Indonesia and will be sure to assist George with his inquiries.

Am unfortunately not, as yet, able to George assistance with employment as suggested by one respondent. At any rate, George is not as present available for relocation from Bali so this is a moot point.

If any of the other members could assist, with or without websites, could assist George with his endeavors it would be of great value.

"It may be surprising to know how much the old colonial power is still involved with day-to-day affairs here in Indonesia."

Perhaps in Yogyakarta, but not in Denpasar, Bali which is the area George was asking about.

The fact is, the Dutch never had control of Bali until 1908, and then only for 34 years before fleeing from the Japanese.

Amazing when you think about it.  Houtman first arrives in Bali in 1598 but it took the Dutch another 310 years to put the Balinese under their control.   :top:

Thanks for the comment, Ubudian.

Actually, the northern part of Bali was already under full control of Dutch forces by the 1850s and the South was 'pacified' for Dutch control by the two campaigns in 1906 & 1908.

The Dutch appeared to have lost patience with Bali rulers over tawang karang- which was the delightful local royal practice of sea wreck plundering. Thhis was the reason for the ensuing massacre of royal procession followers - those that did not commit suicide. Resistance to Dutch rule only seems to have occurred in Denpasar. In other areas, inhabitants found that authoritarian rule was preferable to a proto-slave existence.

Except for the problems with the plundering and increasing resistance of the Dutch authorities to such quaint practices such as suttee - the sometimes involuntary practice of self-immolation upon the death of a ruler by his relatives, there was little friction so no need for heavy control.

History lesson over.

Dutch are in Bali because it is still offers the best living standards - decent schools, an (almost) international standard hospital, communications to everywhere but with a crappy airport with extremely poor infrastructure, decent albeit expensive restaurants, decent housing construction due to western "advisors" etc etc.

George should be able to find something there. Good luck George!

Your "history lesson" only confirms what I said earlier...viz the Dutch didn't gain full control of Bali until 1908...310 years after their initial arrival.  But my real point was that this comment you made is not true, at least insofar as Bali is concerned:

"It may be surprising to know how much the old colonial power is still involved with day-to-day affairs here in Indonesia."

There is no "old colonial power" here in Bali aside from Arie Smit, Bali's most famous living Dutch expatriate artist who will be one hundred years old in a year and a half, and indeed a hang over from the Dutch colonial era.   

Sure, there are some Dutch expats here...they tend to favor the Lovina and to a lesser extent, the Sanur area, but they do not represent anywhere near a significant percentage of the nationalities who more commonly call Bali home.  There are far more Australians, English, German, French and Americans on Bali than Dutch.  I'd have to check but I also believe Italian and Canadian expats outnumber the Dutch.  Even as tourist arrivals the Dutch are way down on the list...12, 13 depending on which most recent year you look at.       

Oh, and as far as our "crappy airport" it's already being called the best airport in Indonesia.  Photos, plans and models below:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ngurah+ … mp;bih=609

Anyway, since you seem to not like our airport, the next time you come to Bali from Yogy, you can take the bus instead.

Interesting answer, Ubudian.

Am sure that quantity does not always explain especially when you reference Australian arrivals to Bali. Also large numbers of the Queensland' white shoe brigade call south Bali home.

Pretty much hoped that my "history lesson" was to imply that the Dutch had no need to exercise "hard" power until 1906/1908 since by that time everything in Indonesia was under their indirect control. If the 'natives' got a little restless they were smacked down like the Aceh campaigns in the mid 1870s and aforementioned Bali. More far-sighted rulers like in Solo, Banten, Lombok etc opted for a less confrontational role and so the local elite still ahd a pretty good time of it. Just all modern policy was decided in the Hague and Amsterdam.

Bali Airport

Skytrax Rating & Reviews: 4.1/10  link http://www.airlinequality.com/Airports/ … um/dps.htm

Indahnesia.com (another Indonesain Expat website): http://forum.indahnesia.com/topic/13603 … irport.php

even Bali Times: http://www.thebalitimes.com/2014/04/14/ … -reviewed/

and Jakarta Post's local offshoot: http://www.thebalidaily.com/2014-04-24/ … fying.html

for those among you that can understand Dutch: http://blog.indonesiepagina.nl/entry/20 … d_bali.php

Ubudian, you are certainly damning DPS with faint praise "best airport in Indonesia" indeed! I think that in terms of passenger flow and amenities the airports in Makassar (UPG) and Surabaya, Manado are far better. Yogyakarta's airport, if it ever gets off the ground, also appears well designed according to some of the plans & sketches I saw.

Have no desire to come to Bali except for business and to see friends. It is an overpriced cesspitt in the tourist areas. Public transportation is extremely difficult to use. Non-tourist areas are attractive though but after eight or nine more or long term stays in Bali since the early 80s I would say that better places exist especially with the opening up of Burma, Laos, Vietnam and since the end of the civil war: Sri Lanka.

Peace, Big Man!

Since the renovations began and the new buildings of Bali airport continue, I am sure it will ultimately be a fantastic Airport. Any Indonesian airport which has that many people moving through it and with so many western people moving through it, of course you will find complaints and disgruntled people. Its an Airport. Thats what happens. 

I travel through many airports around the country and I have found Bali domestic to be getting better all the time, Yogya is  just a small over crowded place, Bandung the same, Makassar was a mess, Lombok new was nice but confused. Jakarta T1 is very basic, T2 over crowded, T3 brand new but crowded.

As things develop they always seem to get better. Time will tell.

I'd be surprised if you ever disagreed with U'ian, Luke!

Did you even read my sources?

[Moderated: inappropriate comment]

Yes I read them. I fly in and out of Bali at least 3 times a year. I cant say I have had anything other what I have already said. With the building work there is confusion and it makes things a little more cluttered at the arrivals and departures but check in is as easy as I have ever found it, the temporary areas for departures are no issues, there is less smoke, more stores and places to eat. My flights have not been that late to arrive.
My elderly parents have visited Bali twice in the last 2 years flown in internationally and out the same and also flown into and out of Bali domestically and have had nothing but praise for the service that they had all round.

I don't fly internationally from Bali because I don't need too and yes I am more than aware of the issues and queues that they have however if my experiences of the said airport are different to your perceptions and recent press reports then well thats because I could not care less about it. Its an airport. I fly in, I fly out. I am not there to stare at pot plants or have my dinner.

Bali airport is simple to use and quick and easy for me to get in and out of; Which is all I want from it. How that relates to Ubudian I really don't understand.

Were you guys part of the building consortium?

Ok, for those without rose-coloured blinkers:

Willem Loots, a long-time Bali resident and semi-retired professional in Indonesian tourism, had the occasion to travel through Balis still-under-construction Ngurah Rai International Airport on April 1, 2014.

On that same date, a more costly International Passenger Service Charge applied for all outgoing passengers went into effect. The Domestic Passenger Service Charge will follow suit in August.

Representative of the widespread disappointment with Balis new air gateway, Loots shared his experience at Balis new airport at the invitation of Balidiscovery.com.

The Sad Decline from Airport Tax to Service Charge

Last Tuesday, April 1st I went through the experience of using the departure facilities at Ngurah Rai Denpasar Airport for the first time since the new international terminal was inaugurated last September.

I have been flying in an out of Bali countless times since I first came to the island in 1973. In a way, Ngurah Rai has always occupied a dear place in my heart, so I was totally unprepared for the awful situation that I found.

I had booked and checked-in online and printed my boarding pass at home. With hand luggage only, I thought that it would be sufficient to reach the airport an hour and a half before boarding time. A few days before my departure I had read that the airport tax would be raised from Rp. 150,000 to Rp. 200,000 as per August 1. Therefore it came as a surprise that August had arrived early when the young lady at the desk, now marked Airport Service Charge, informed me that the new rate was already in force.

The immigration procedure was swift and efficient and I am ready to admit that it is a measure of progress that I had to go through security screening only once. (Last year, I had to take off my shoes twice).

However the nightmare started immediately afterwards. After security it is impossible to just walk to the gates. In the old days shopping, tax free or not, was an OPTION. In the new setup of Angkasa Pura it is an absolute MUST to be confronted with loads of stuff you do not need. They make you stumble through a ridiculously long, serpentine labyrinth of department stores that are not only shocking in their opulence but probably extremely dangerous in emergency situations as well. Everything is placed much too close together and in case of an earthquake you better not find yourself in the airport-shopping stampede

Once I had waded through the tax-free nightmare and reached the hallway of the boarding gates I found that the first four electronic signboards I encountered were not functioning. There was no departure information whatsoever in the area where one exits from the tax free zone. I took off on a long walk to the East, asking anyone in uniform where I could find out from what gate my flight would leave, but no one could offer any advice or assistance. After hundreds of meters I finally did find ONE electronic information board lit up. While it did provide a list of flights departing during the rest of the day, THERE WAS NO GATE INFORMATION FOR ANY FLIGHT LEAVING DURING THE NEXT HOUR. My own Air Asia boarding pass indicated that I had to be at the gate at 12:15 and that I would be denied boarding if I would not show up before 12:35.

At my advanced age and with rising anger and blood pressure I kept pacing up and down the corridor that looks out on the runway, accosting anyone looking official on my path. When I finally found two uniformed Angkasa Pura officials lounging in between some of the gates they could not give any gate info either, so I asked where I could find the office of the people responsible for running the airport. I was told that I had to leave the terminal and go across the street to find them.

At exactly 12:13 a notice finally appeared on the single working information board that flight QZ8494 scheduled to depart at 12: 55 could be found at Gate 10. To reach Gate 10, from where the busses leave to the outskirts of the apron we had to go down an escalator to an area where there was neither air conditioning nor any room for passengers to sit down. Those who came last ended up sitting on the stairs.

For this scandalous lack of service everyone on QZ8494 had paid Rp. 200,000. These passengers should get their money back and the people at Angkasa Pura who are responsible for this outrage should be fired.

When I arrived in Singapore I was in a taxi within 20 minutes from the moment the plane touched down. It is always a pleasure to witness how the Changi Airport Authority implements a taxi management system that works seamlessly. It feeds passengers fairly and efficiently into taxis strictly on a first come-first serve basis. No one loses time unnecessarily. It is a perfect procedure for both drivers and their clients.

When, three days later, I returned to Bali it took more than an hour to clear immigration and customs. For a Friday rush hour, that was by itself not too bad since all officials were friendly and working hard. But afterwards, as a final insult, Angkasa Pura once again made me march through a TAX FREE shopping area before I could walk out into the mad chaos of the taxi touts.

www.balidiscovery.com

When Changi first opened there were plenty of bugs to be worked out as well.

Give some time for Ngurah Rai to work the kinks out, or as I suggested earlier, from Yogy, you can always take the bus.

Is it now all about airports etc.....or George 159 asking about a job here??

I think Indosock should also get back to the topic.... :cool:

Hey guys,
i was gone for about a week so i couldn't responce! I have time enough and my plan to move to Bali wi'll be at least half way nex year, so don't worry about it! Thank u all for thinking and try to help me to find a way to Bali!

lukereg wrote:

Native English speakers will not normally point out such trivial language points or errros because the message is still understood. Ironically it is other people using English which is not their first language who do so, which is a meaningless action to all.

This is very true.  English is my native language and I almost never point out people's errros.