Taking car from Guernsey to Malta, please help!

Hi,
I have tried to find this information online but with no success, hence hoping somebody would know.
We are planning to buy a second hand car in Guernsey (this is where my partner currently lives) and head down to Malta in June, to live there for long term.
I have seen a lot of threads regarding car import from UK, but could not find anything on Guernsey. FYI: Guernsey is a British Crown dependency, but not part of UK or EU (according to wikipedia  Guernsey has a special relationship with EU being treated as part of the European Community for the purposes of free trade in goods).

What this would mean for us in terms of taking the car into Malta (some additional difficulties I presume).
I sincerely somebody would be able to advice.

Not so sure about this, but I think you would have to pay registration on the car of your choice in much the same way we did from UK (unless you have owned the car for 2 years or more) If you go on the maltagovt transport website I am sure you will find the information. Registration costs are based on the car you choose, eg age, CO2 emissions etc

You may well have to pay VAT on importing the vehicle as new cars in Guernsey are VAT free.
So if its a second hand Guernsey car VAT will be due, best phone TM .

Terry

If you have not owned the car for two years you will have to pay the importation tax (you can get this off of the following linkhttp ://www.valuation.vehicleregistration.gov.mt/motorVehicle.aspx) You are allowed a few months to do this.Be careful as once you are a Maltese resident you are liable to a fine on 30 euros per day for not registering !!

Jerseyman wrote:

If you have not owned the car for two years you will have to pay the importation tax (you can get this off of the following linkhttp ://[link under review] You are allowed a few months to do this.Be careful as once you are a Maltese resident you are liable to a fine on 30 euros per day for not registering !!

You are allowed 30 days if not claiming exemption and 20 days if you intend to claim exemption.
So not months!

Terry

Hi,

I'm just wondering about a UK plated (expensive BMW ) car parked near my appartment. It's UK registration disc (displayed in the front window) expired in October 2013. What could the legal status of this car be ? Is it possible to be UK plated with an expired disc for so long?

And what is the status of UK plated cars that don't even have  a UK registration disc in the front window ? Are they in the process of being re-plated to Maltese plates and would they still be insured?

Maybe I just opened a can of worms?

Cheers
Ricky

To be legal in any EU country a vehicle must be legal in its country of registration.

UK plates = must be legal to drive in the UK, requires up to date tax, UK insurance and MOT if required.

Terry