Reasons for moving to Vietnam

Russia is fuelled by vodka as is aeroflot

Hi:

Well, you're somehow right. The Ststes are becoming harder for non-white, you'd know what I 'm meaning.

To start a business in VN is what most returnees did. Finding a Vietnamese partner are NO-NO, sooner or later things would get ugly.

I'm also lived in the States, after travel the world 2 years, I'm back to Vietnam.

I'm was a business consultant in US.

Ted

TedSaigon wrote:

Hi:

Well, you're somehow right. The States are becoming harder for non-white, you'd know what I 'm meaning.

To start a business in VN is what most returnees did. Finding a Vietnamese partner are NO-NO, sooner or later things would get ugly.

I'm also lived in the States, after travel the world 2 years, I'm back to Vietnam.

Ted

I know exactly what you mean Ted. That is a main reason I am trying to get out. :)

Russia is fuelled by vodka as is aeroflot

Next year it is predicted that whites will b the minority in California

Hey... who knows.... maybe the rules have changes....... yet again and a person can renew. I have no idea as I have been on the residency card for 2 years now. I can only comment on what happened to me in the past. This country is a never ending source of confusion..... Part of why I love living here.

Owee58

Happy8888 wrote:

That's one of the main reasons how Obama keeps getting in.
Another 50 - 100 years it will be Muslims ruling the world , the way they are breeding. ( mind you most of them are coloured as well ).
It's a bit like the Japs, they couldn't beat us in WW2, so they thought they could buy us out.

Happy8888 wrote:

That's already the case.  There is no majority any longer in California.  The largest ethnic group is Latinos, who now outnumber non-hispanic whites, 39 to 38.8 percent.

TedSaigon wrote:

Hi:

Well, you're somehow right. The Ststes are becoming harder for non-white, you'd know what I 'm meaning.

Ted

How is The States becoming harder for non-whites? I think you've got turned around. As far as starting a business, it's a hell of a lot easier starting a business in The States than in Viet Nam, especially for a minority.

DanFromSF wrote:
Happy8888 wrote:

That's already the case.  There is no majority any longer in California.  The largest ethnic group is Latinos, who now outnumber non-hispanic whites, 39 to 38.8 percent.

Yep, we've already surrendered CA to the Latinos. Next to fall will be NV, AZ, NM and Texas. I think our last stand will be the mid-west.  :)

Adhome01 wrote:
DanFromSF wrote:
Happy8888 wrote:

Yep, we've already surrendered CA to the Latinos. Next to fall will be NV, AZ, NM and Texas. I think our last stand will be the mid-west.  :)

Pacific Islanders, ( breeding with Maori , unheard of 30 years ago ),),   have already taken over NZ.

Whoa!! this is going way off topic. I think it best to start a new thread if you want to continue this

Owee wrote:

Whoa!! this is going way off topic. I think it best to start a new thread if you want to continue this

I'm going to agree to all of this but while we're on the subject, most of the information and comments have nothing to do with the actual title of the post. I'm not complaining, some have been helpful...some, not so much.

Owee wrote:

Your own country being over run by immigrants, isn't a good reason to be moving to VN??????

Adhome01 wrote:
TedSaigon wrote:

Hi:

Ted

How is The States becoming harder for non-whites? I think you've got turned around. As far as starting a business, it's a hell of a lot easier starting a business in The States than in Viet Nam, especially for a minority.

I'll rephrase for you...it's getting very difficult for a lot of people besides a small margin. And that is a fact.

Adhome01 wrote:

We didn't surrender CA -- we took it from them a long time ago and now they're taking it back. :)

DanFromSF wrote:
Adhome01 wrote:

We didn't surrender CA -- we took it from them a long time ago and now they're taking it back. :)

That goes for the Maori too, , ( they all call themselves Pacific Islanders now ). But they also got huge , ( and ongoing ), payments for some back rent.

DanFromSF wrote:
Adhome01 wrote:

How about we trade them CA for Detroit?

Adhome01 wrote:

You joke, but they have considered giving undocumented aliens the ability to live and work legally in Detroit.  The problem is the immigrant groups said, "No thanks!"

DanFromSF wrote:
Adhome01 wrote:

You joke, but they have considered giving undocumented aliens the ability to live and work legally in Detroit.  The problem is the immigrant groups said, "No thanks!"

I guess they'd rather be alive then legal.  :)  I grew up about 4 hours from Detroit and used to have to go there for work. That place is like a over run maximum security prison. Chicago isn't much better.

I grew up only 1 hour outside of Detroit, but got the hell out over 20 years ago.  My brothers are still there, which I'll never understand.

I'd much rather be in Chicago, if the weather wasn't so bad 90% of the time.

DanFromSF wrote:

I grew up only 1 hour outside of Detroit, but got the hell out over 20 years ago.  My brothers are still there, which I'll never understand.

My brother spends a lot of time in Chicago and loves it. But having over 2,200 shootings last year alone is enough to keep me away.

Adhome01 wrote:
DanFromSF wrote:

My brother spends a lot of time in Chicago and loves it. But having over 2,200 shootings last year alone is enough to keep me away.

You two are really blowing my post. Just stop, it's annoying. Take your useless info somewhere else, or better yet, message each other.

peterpan75 wrote:

You two are really blowing my post. Just stop, it's annoying. Take your useless info somewhere else, or better yet, message each other.

Huh, let's see...

peterpan75 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Just curious what other peoples reasons for moving to Vietnam have been.

[snip]

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Seems to me we're still on-topic:  American cities and states have gotten so bad that we have chosen to live in Vietnam.   Or are these not the "any thoughts or comments" you were expecting?

DanFromSF wrote:
peterpan75 wrote:

Huh, let's see...

peterpan75 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Just curious what other peoples reasons for moving to Vietnam have been.

[snip]

Seems to me we're still on-topic:  American cities and states have gotten so bad that we have chosen to live in Vietnam.   Or are these not the "any thoughts or comments" you were expecting?

Making comments about where you'd live in the states because weather and other information is not pertinent. Now if you were actually explaining why you personally chose to live in Vietnam and reasons, that would be.

Detroit is a combat zone, as is Cleveland, NYC, LA, etc,  I don't worry about having a gun stuck in my face here; not even by Uncle Charlie.  Being a part of an elite minority, by virtue of being white, grants me that luxury.  In return for that, and a comfortable living, I choose to overlook things that I've been taught are wrong.  In other words - I'm a gold digger and Vietnam is my sugar daddy.  Questions or comments?

P.S.  There's been a heck of a lot more posts in this thread that are further off the topic than the last few.

Teacher Mark wrote:

I choose to overlook things that I've been taught are wrong.

Can you give some examples of what you choose to overlook?

I currently have a 5 year Visa Exemption Cert and I plan on finding a company that will get me a work visa.  I believe that once I get a 1-2 year work visa, I do not have to do any sort of visa run.  I don't know much about a 10 year passport so I can't help you there.  As for the extension every 90 days, I plan on filling out the correct paper work and getting my visa extended every 90 days without exiting the country.  I truly hope that I can land a job before that time.

Where do you plan on living first?  I'll be finding a place in Saigon.

Best,

Tin Tin

peterpan75 wrote:

Back to the topic at hand. Tin Tin, what are doing about living their, paper wise? Do you have an extended visa or passport? If not, have you considered getting a 10 year passport? That is what I am considering now. I got scared off a bit from some cousins about committing to becoming a "citizen" to Vietnam but I believe I found out that getting a 10 Year passport and becoming a dual citizen are separate things. A 10 year passport seems right for me without much commitment and worry of consequence, as far their "cut-throat or lawless society" is concerned, as you called it. Right now, I have a 5 year visa extension which is good until June 2016 but this still requires extension runs every 90 days, I figure getting the 10 year passport would save me a lot of trouble and aggravation.

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

I currently have a 5 year visa and I plan on finding a company that will get me a work visa.  I believe that once I get a 1-2 year work visa, I do not have to do any sort of visa run.  I don't know much about a 10 year passport so I can't help you there.  As for the extension every 90 days, I plan on filling out the correct paper work and getting my visa extended every 90 days without exiting the country.  I truly hope that I can land a job before that time.

Best,

Tin Tin

peterpan75 wrote:

Back to the topic at hand. Tin Tin, what are doing about living their, paper wise? Do you have an extended visa or passport? If not, have you considered getting a 10 year passport? That is what I am considering now. I got scared off a bit from some cousins about committing to becoming a "citizen" to Vietnam but I believe I found out that getting a 10 Year passport and becoming a dual citizen are separate things. A 10 year passport seems right for me without much commitment and worry of consequence, as far their "cut-throat or lawless society" is concerned, as you called it. Right now, I have a 5 year visa extension which is good until June 2016 but this still requires extension runs every 90 days, I figure getting the 10 year passport would save me a lot of trouble and aggravation.

Moving to Hanoi. I preferred it to Saigon, I actually have more cousins and extended family in the south, and although people may be generally more open in Saigon, I prefer the seasons, the size and the cultural things happening in Hanoi. You never know, that's where I'm starting at least.

Most people want to move to Vietnam to live because everything is there so cheap . Last year, I was in Vietnam for 6 months but I could not stand the weather there, too hot, dirty environment. Where I live now, Prague has very good traffic and I got used to the traffic here. In Hanoi, local transport is so bad, crowded people, stealing everywhere. I do not understand why you guys want to live in Vietnam? For me, traveling in Vietnam is ok, but it is not good idea to live there. It's funny, while many local Vietnamese want to move to developed countries like EU, USA, Australia or Japan... and white people want to move to the hell Vietnam, where human rights is so low. If Hanoi has subway like Beijing, Vietnamese will be more satisfied and maybe they dont want to leave hahaha . Some of my French friends like to live in Vietnam because they said that they love this country, even Vietnam is still poor.

peterpan75 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Just curious what other peoples reasons for moving to Vietnam have been. I've visited a couple times and am contemplating really trying it out next winter.

I'll start with my reasons. In a transitional stage of life, just turned 39. Have been an entrepreneur(small retail business) most of my adult life but decided that's not what I want anymore. Having a difficult time finding a job in the states with my skill set. No Bachelors degree, only an Associates. Could probably find a job doing something I would hate or go back to school to get my Bachelors but neither sounds that appealing right now. Was able to save some money, have no debt and no plans for kids, no interest in the conventional "keeping up with the joneses" stuff. Left Vietnam for the US when I was two weeks old. I understand why people originally came to the USA, for the good ole "American Dream" but as America is becoming more and more class divided, that idea is quickly diminishing, it' s hard out there these days. I feel like reversing the idea makes sense, meaning someone who has some money and skill set could go back to Vietnam and make a living for themselves. I'm very appreciative and grateful of what opportunities I have experienced growing up in the US but with no prospects in sight, moving somewhere where it would be much cheaper to live and enjoy life simply seems like a good plan. Riding a motorbike around, spending nothing on gas, warmer weather, living simply and cheaper, working odd jobs, being able to live off that, seems like heaven too me...am I crazy?

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

I currently have a 5 year visa and I plan on finding a company that will get me a work visa.  I believe that once I get a 1-2 year work visa, I do not have to do any sort of visa run.  I don't know much about a 10 year passport so I can't help you there.  As for the extension every 90 days, I plan on filling out the correct paper work and getting my visa extended every 90 days without exiting the country.  I truly hope that I can land a job before that time.

Best,

Tin Tin

peterpan75 wrote:

I think this info was corrected a few pages back, but as many people do not read that far back, I will post the correction again.
There have been many posts this week re 5 yr Visa's, ( also on different threads ), but once AGAIN, there is no such thing as a 5 yr Visa, it is called a Visa Exemption Cert, this entitles the holder to stay in VN CONTINUOUSLY, for the duration of the Certificate, ( but apparently not in Nha Trang for some unexplained reason, which must be something like why it is illegal to tow a m/b trailer 10kms east of Quang Ngai???? ), it isn't actually 5 yrs at all, if your country of origin issues only 5 yr passports, VN with holds 6 months.
  You don't need a VEC if you have a Work Permit.
I'm trying to find up to date info on this, waiting for replies to several e-mails I've sent to a few VN Govt websites, so won't  be holding my breathe.

Bluenz - I just want to ask you about the 5 year Visa Exemption Cert.  It's stated in mine that I can only stay each time I enter Vietnam for 90 days.  Are you saying I can stay longer with the 5 year Visa Exemp Cert?  Please be specific.  Thanks.

Tin Tin

bluenz wrote:
tintinmiami2013 wrote:

Best,

Tin Tin

peterpan75 wrote:

I think this info was corrected a few pages back, but as many people do not read that far back, I will post the correction again.
There have been many posts this week re 5 yr Visa's, ( also on different threads ), but once AGAIN, there is no such thing as a 5 yr Visa, it is called a Visa Exemption Cert, this entitles the holder to stay in VN CONTINUOUSLY, for the duration of the Certificate, ( but apparently not in Nha Trang for some unexplained reason, which must be something like why it is illegal to tow a m/b trailer 10kms east of Quang Ngai???? ), it isn't actually 5 yrs at all, if your country of origin issues only 5 yr passports, VN with holds 6 months.
I'm trying to find up to date info on this, waiting for replies to several e-mails I've sent to a few VN Govt websites, so won't  be holding my breathe.

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

Bluenz - I just want to ask you about the 5 year Visa Exemption Cert.  It's stated in mine that I can only stay each time I enter Vietnam for 90 days.  Are you saying I can stay longer with the 5 year Visa Exemp Cert?  Please be specific.  Thanks.

Tin Tin

bluenz wrote:
tintinmiami2013 wrote:

Best,

Tin Tin

They don't explain it very well on the Visa, it should say,  ' must be renewed before 90 days, and you don't have to leave the country to do that ', but I suppose there wouldn't be enough room on it, ( and they would miss out on a chance to confuse Foreigners? ).
Have another look at the expiry date, did you get the full 5yrs?, my country only issues 5 yr passports now, so I only got 4 1/2 yrs.

Bluenz - Since my US passport does not expire for another 8 years, I received the full 5 years exemption on my VISA.  However, it does state that the VISA exemption cert allows me to stay in VN for 90 days at a time within those 5 years.  I don't know where you are getting your info hence I asked for clarification.  I have spoken to a few expats that have the 5 years exemption cert and they also have the same problem.

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

Bluenz - Since my US passport does not expire for another 8 years, I received the full 5 years exemption on my VISA.  However, it does state that the VISA exemption cert allows me to stay in VN for 90 days at a time within those 5 years.  I don't know where you are getting your info hence I asked for clarification.  I have spoken to a few expats that have the 5 years exemption cert and they also have the same problem.

Most exemption holders on here have had no problems, Budman1 yesterday only just renewed his VEC for another 5yrs, he hasn't left the country for 7 yrs, ( I haven't left for nearly 4 yrs, my French associate here, many more years on the same Visa ).  Maybe the others all live in Nha Trang?

I love hearing those roosters.. And just enjoying all the insect sounds in the early mornings.. They even have this loudspeaker public information system that starts broadcasting every morning at 5:00.. But only for a few minutes.  All the village people are up and about by then.  Some even at work in their fields already to beat some of the afternoon heat.. Its a great experience for awhile.  But the sleep on these low wooden beds with only a straw mat. Not even pillows.  You have to set up a mosquito net over thus bed each night or you get more than a dozen bites.  For some reason akk the mosquitoes prefer foreign blood... They ravaged me while ignoring everyone else in the house.  U treasure the exoeruance n want to do Ut again but know I don't want it akk the time.

Tin Tin, I've just had a good look at my Visa, it also states that the holder is entitled to Multiple entries ........ then the expiry date,  So why would they make you leave the country to renew an already current Visa??????  The 90-day period is just to keep an eye on your whereabouts, and collect revenue, I think some VN official pen pushers,  don't fully understand this Certificate , ( and of course what they say is always right, so end of argument ), I'd be interested in finding out where the Visa holders live, who are having the trouble renewing them

Bluenz - I think that the 5 years Visa Exempt Cert allows a person to travel to Vietnam multiple times within 5 years.  That person does NOT have to apply for another Visa as long as that Exempt Cert is valid.   The person may only stay within VN for 90 days once they enter the country.  If the person wish to stay longer then he/she may fill out additional paperwork OR actually leave the country and re-enter. 

I do not KNOW the reasoning behind this madness but it is what it is.  We just have to know their rule and play their game. 

Many expats have been staying past the 90 days without consequences because once they exit the country, the airport officer is not looking carefully at the stamped date of entry in their passport.  That's a simple explanation of course.

pathixon48 wrote:

I love hearing those roosters.. And just enjoying all the insect sounds in the early mornings.. They even have this loudspeaker public information system that starts broadcasting every morning at 5:00.. But only for a few minutes.  All the village people are up and about by then.  Some even at work in their fields already to beat some of the afternoon heat.. Its a great experience for awhile.  But the sleep on these low wooden beds with only a straw mat. Not even pillows.  You have to set up a mosquito net over thus bed each night or you get more than a dozen bites.  For some reason akk the mosquitoes prefer foreign blood... They ravaged me while ignoring everyone else in the house.  U treasure the exoeruance n want to do Ut again but know I don't want it akk the time.

I have one neighbour who gets up at 4am, and starts preparing the first cooking fire of the day, I am unfortunately a very light sleeper, and can even hear the nightly/early morning fishing boats about 4 -5 kms away, ( squid ), plus the noisy exhaust free m/b's coming and going 24 hrs a day, ( fish and other markets ) I usually have a fan running all night, it helps drown out some noises with its constant drone, otherwise I'm awake every 10 minutes. Our loudspeakers are only 3 days a week now, i think even the Vns were getting pissed off with them. ( everyone here has a TV or radio these days ).
As for bugs , you are dead right, there is some sort of bedbug that loves Foreigners here as well, ( in the Phils these bugs lived in bamboo beds, etc ), you can buy pillows/ mattress in VN you know, I won't even eat on the floor mat, as many still do.
It's not only the heat that makes for their early starts, ( by 9am it's already peaked ),  they stand around talking and smoking so much, they need the extra hours. ( although you would have noticed how quiet it can be between 11.30 and 1.30, when they are having their siesta's ). And bed time is anywhere from 7.30 onwards.

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

Bluenz - I think that the 5 years Visa Exempt Cert allows a person to travel to Vietnam multiple times within 5 years.  That person does NOT have to apply for another Visa as long as that Exempt Cert is valid.   The person may only stay within VN for 90 days once they enter the country.  If the person wish to stay longer then he/she may fill out additional paperwork OR actually leave the country and re-enter. 

I do not KNOW the reasoning behind this madness but it is what it is.  We just have to know their rule and play their game. 

Many expats have been staying past the 90 days without consequences because once they exit the country, the airport officer is not looking carefully at the stamped date of entry in their passport.  That's a simple explanation of course.

Yes, but why leave the country when you do NOT need to? Naturally you will fill out the new application form BEFORE the 90 day expiry date.on the Passport VIsa stamp that accompanies your VEC. ( maybe that's the problem, the officials are not being shown, or can find this stamp???? ).
AS I said it is all about keeping tabs on us, and of course collecting revenue.