Omani health systeme

Hi!

Can anyone tell me about Omani health systeme. I know it's free for locals but what about expats?

And regarding the pension system too?

Thanks!

Hi AtlasArgent and welcome to Expat.com!

I have created a new topic as from your post on the Oman English speaking forum  ;)

Hi,
as far as my knowledge, there are no free medical benefits for expats. and same goes for pension too.
regards,
mohit

AtlasArgent wrote:

Hi!

Can anyone tell me about Omani health systeme. I know it's free for locals but what about expats?

And regarding the pension system too?

Thanks!

Hello AtlasArgent,

Medical consultations, allied services, advanced facilities and even certain kinds of medicines are given free for the locals. All they need to do is register themselves and their families with the Ministry of Health run clinics and hospitals for a very nominal sum.

For expatriates there are any number of polyclinics which provide the entire gamut of healthcare services. But their standards leave a lot to be desired. More importantly the private healthcare system is run purely as a business. All expatriate employees are required by law to be provided with medical insurance by their sponsoring companies. The kind of coverage would depend on the employees hierarchy within the organisation.

The private health clinics exploit this facility to the hilt and derive the maximum benefit. For even simple ailments the clinics would prescribe unnecessary and unwanted tests and investigations to be done. They would give a long laundry list of medications to be bought from the attached pharmacies, suggest protracted treatment schedules when none is required, and in short will try and make the most out of a patient monetarily.

In Oman it is advisable to take good care of your health and try as far as possible not to go to any of these clinics. In short, prevention is better than cure.

Regarding pensions, expatriate employees are entitled to nothing more than their end-of-service benefits like Gratuity.

Hello!

Thanks very much for your information.

Regards,