How much should I pay to these traffic wardens in case?

As I just start driving in Manila since two weeks and had laid over a thousand twice. On my second day while driving here, I was bringing my wife to hospital and following bloody Google map shiv told me to take u turn, the moment I turned...wow three or four police guys run to me seems as my car is full of bombs lols. At first u got scared as I never saw them and never knew how those hungry monsters looks like. Anyway as the approached, asked me to show license and told me I was unable to take u turn and scared me that they will give me ticket worth a thousand. I was going to get ticket but my wife extend them 5 hundred pesos, but they seems unhappy in short we ended up with 700 r so.  In another case I was somewhere in Pasig and I just got on to left lane as someone was blocking right side ahead. As the moment u cross a signal a police guy rush in front of my car and stopped me. Told me this left lane us only for those who turn left. Anyway I saw many other cars going straight from that lane. In short I ended up with 500 here too.

My question is, let's assume all of these were violations, how much is penalty? Should I negotiate in spot r take a ticket? If negotiate, what max I should offer or where least we can end up?

Please suggest as you can help me save in the future.

Take public trans, much cheaper, no shakedown.

I've gotten pulled over a few times, and because of my GPS as well. Doesnt show the road rules, so if you rely on it, make sure your making legal turns. I don't care what others do, you are a foreignor assumed with money so will be a target.

As a foreignor, p500-1000 is the norm, unless is a merienda stop. If you dont want to pay, then have to hand over license and spend a day in court along with attending traffic class.  You can try and not give them license as no law requires it, but they may arrest you and take to jail. If your in Makati, the brown shirts will usually not accept bribes. You really dont have much rights as a foreign driver.  Try to obey all laws and not give them an excuse.

Also, get rid of the temp dealer plates. Shows right off your in a new car and have money.

Yes its cheaper and kind of easy way to familiar with the places.

Pretty much agree with you. Unfortunately, I still got this bloody temp plate. Well I will get it changed. But I gave bribe to these brown shirts one time and this stupid guy ask me to throw in trees next to the road and later he will pick up..... Lols how disgusting.

Actually it's very true, these people around always think that being foreigners v got tons of dollars.

Well thanks for suggestions

Dear Naveed really can't imagine to travel by Jeepney man hahah it's. Really a mess though MRT is so so

Just take off the temp plate and stick on something that says under registration, like 50% of all other cars. Tint your windows so no one can see whos driving (and you cant see the road at night). And find lots of PNP affiliation stickers/plates.

Oh ya fully agree with you. By the way isn't it illegal if I put under registration and also I already have a number should I print a no plate and put on, a standard one or do I have to wait for LTO to make one for me. Sorry no idea as how it works.

Secondly, how much it cost to get windows tinted?
Any place you recommend to get it done?

Appreciate Dhnindc

Problem with LTO is that they ran out of plates last year and I think there is still like a 6 month backlog so who knows when you will get plate.

Tinting should have been done where you bought your car as part of purchase price.   Place (auto strip next to Kia/Mercedes/Ford)  by St Lukes will do it, but not sure what the price is.

Ok well in this case do you think applied for will work? Or I should write something else's?

I am going to assume that you are not Pinoy, or look it from a distance. In that case, based on my experience, give it up! You are going to get hit no matter what you do. Every cop, meterman, etc. looking for a score will see and stop you if they can. It's not most, but enough that it does occur frequently. If I use a driver or a family member ( who are Pinoy), no issues. Me - pulled over within minutes in Manila. Better in the Provinces, but can still happen. Like Cebu.

I guess its hard to negotiate if your a foreigner, but we Filipinos sometimes bribe them for 50 to 100 pesos. Or you can just commute if you don't know the place yet.

Only 50 to 100 pesos.....?oh my God r u kidding? Huhu r u talking about makati or province ?

Yes.. they are just taking advantage since your a foreigner..
Try to study your route before driving :) These wardens are hungry

It amazes me how keen these traffic guys are as soon as they see a foreigner committing the SLIGHTEST ( even unintentional or accidental ) infringement. You can drive in Manila for even 15 minutes and see scores of blatant and deliberate violations and NOTHING is done but a white face merely stepping out of line by a fraction and WHAM !!! - they appear from nowhere !!. I am also appalled by the state of the public transport vehicles - buses , jeepneys - with totally bald tyres , no lights at night , bodywork held together with resin and bonding tape and GOD knows what the brakes , electricals etc are like. Yet they are all passed by the LTFRB and LTO as roadworthy and safe for passengers,

dhnindc wrote:

I've gotten pulled over a few times, and because of my GPS as well. Doesnt show the road rules, so if you rely on it, make sure your making legal turns. I don't care what others do, you are a foreignor assumed with money so will be a target.

As a foreignor, p500-1000 is the norm, unless is a merienda stop. If you dont want to pay, then have to hand over license and spend a day in court along with attending traffic class.  You can try and not give them license as no law requires it, but they may arrest you and take to jail. If your in Makati, the brown shirts will usually not accept bribes. You really dont have much rights as a foreign driver.  Try to obey all laws and not give them an excuse.

Also, get rid of the temp dealer plates. Shows right off your in a new car and have money.

Actually dhnindc, it is illegal for a traffic enforcer to take your drivers license for a violation...Only the police can take your license...I have been driving in the country for over 2 years now...I went through the same BS with them...1st time 1000, 2nd time 500, 3rd time 200...Now I just tell the enforcer to call the police because they do  not know the rules of the road...Every time now they tell me to go on and it is a warning because they know if the police arrive they will waste their time and probably get no money...NEVER EVER GIVE A TRAFFIC ENFORCER YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE AND OR REGISTRATION...YOU ARE ONLY REQUIRED TO DO THAT IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENT AND ONLY GIVEN TO POLICE..

Also, ask all traffic enforcers for their permit to be working a certain area...Many of them are only there to make a peso and some are even disguised as traffic enforcers...Another thing they try to say its a violation to change lanes or stop in traffic...There is no such violation...Some of them probably dont even know how to ride a bicycle...LOL

vetretreat wrote:
dhnindc wrote:

Actually dhnindc, it is illegal for a traffic enforcer to take your drivers license for a violation...Only the police can take your license...I have been driving in the country for over 2 years now...I went through the same BS with them...1st time 1000, 2nd time 500, 3rd time 200...Now I just tell the enforcer to call the police because they do  not know the rules of the road...Every time now they tell me to go on and it is a warning because they know if the police arrive they will waste their time and probably get no money...NEVER EVER GIVE A TRAFFIC ENFORCER YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE AND OR REGISTRATION...YOU ARE ONLY REQUIRED TO DO THAT IN THE EVENT OF AN ACCIDENT AND ONLY GIVEN TO POLICE..

Also, ask all traffic enforcers for their permit to be working a certain area...Many of them are only there to make a peso and some are even disguised as traffic enforcers...Another thing they try to say its a violation to change lanes or stop in traffic...There is no such violation...Some of them probably dont even know how to ride a bicycle...LOL

Oh cool Dhnindc can u please explain further as how to differentiate between police and traffic enforcer?

JUST ASK TO SEE THEIR POLICE CREDENTIALS AND BADGE...

vetretreat wrote:

Alright thanks next time I will kick their *** for sure lols

Hassanalishah wrote:
vetretreat wrote:

Alright thanks next time I will kick their ass for sure lols

Also remember the police have a patch on their shoulder which says police...Traffic enforcers work for almost nothing so that is why they target those who appear to have money..but remember if you act important and tell them you want the police there they dont want to waste their time because they could be ripping off others while they are waiting for the police to arrive...Another thing if they dont have a motorcycle near them and the traffic is not bad just act like you dont see them and drive on...I have done that and most of the time they dont chase you down but one time the guy had a motor bike and caught up with me and I told him he didnt know the rules of the road and to call the police because I would give him no money....He demanded my drivers license and I told him no and then i asked for his permit...When i did he started yelling at me and cussed me out in Tagalog and then he took off... I laughed my a** off and so didnt my wife...

vetretreat wrote:
Hassanalishah wrote:
vetretreat wrote:

Alright thanks next time I will kick their ass for sure lols

Also remember the police have a patch on their shoulder which says police...Traffic enforcers work for almost nothing so that is why they target those who appear to have money..but remember if you act important and tell them you want the police there they dont want to waste their time because they could be ripping off others while they are waiting for the police to arrive...Another thing if they dont have a motorcycle near them and the traffic is not bad just act like you dont see them and drive on...I have done that and most of the time they dont chase you down but one time the guy had a motor bike and caught up with me and I told him he didnt know the rules of the road and to call the police because I would give him no money....He demanded my drivers license and I told him no and then i asked for his permit...When i did he started yelling at me and cussed me out in Tagalog and then he took off...I laughed my a** off and so didnt my wife...

Oh cool. I really wanna do even bigger s*** with them just get paid back all that they theft from me. Well for sure next time am gonna (moderated: no vulgar words here please). Lols