What to wear??

Hi

I will be moving out at the start of August and am using it as a great excuse to update my wardrobe :)
Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice regarding what to get. Is it Capri pants or leggings with t-shirts and tunics? Can you wear sandals and flip flops or does it have to be a closed toe shoe?
What do you wear to the beach, pool, gym?
Sorry for all the questions. Just don't want to make any social blunders.
Really appreciate any help
Jessica

Hi, there are no definite rules about dress here in Bahrain, so it's whatever you feel comfortable in.  Certainly around the pool or at the gym then shorts etc are fine!  Sandals and flip flops also fine everywhere, and very widely worn especially this time of year!  My advice would be to cover up a bit more in more public areas, such as shopping malls etc, just out of respect for local sensibilities. I was given advice before I came to make sure that I was covered between shoulders and knees when in public areas, so have stuck to that rule of thumb.  Capri/cropped trousers are ideal.  You do see girls walking around in more revealing clothing, but you run the risk of being stared at, and I have even heard of someone being turned away by security at a shopping mall wearing very short shorts and a skimpy top.  It's just common sense really! Bring a variety of things and see what others do.  The only time you have to be a bit more careful is during Ramadan, but you will miss that this year if not here until August.  Good luck!

Thanks so much for reply. Feel much better now. Will get shopping so :)

As mentioned above, feel free to wear whatever you want - but be more aware of what you are wearing during the month of Ramadan. It is a holy month for muslims and out of respect you should moderately cover up. The rest of the year, feel free to dress up as you wish. Bahrain is so accepting when it comes to different cultures so you don't need to worry about that.

Edit: Ramadan in 2014 will start on Saturday, the 28th of June and will continue for 30 days until Sunday, the 27th of July. Ramadan in 2015 will start on Thursday, the 18th of June and will continue for 30 days until Friday, the 17th of July.

I agree - it's very relaxed here.

Definitely flip flops - I wear mine all year even in winter.  Bought a pair of boots and think I have worn them twice in 3 years.

Bikini's/swimsuits fine for expat clubs and hotel pools.  On the public beaches you will need a tshirt and long shorts even to swim in.  Buy these in the UK if you can - the choice here is limited and they are really expensive.

I try to keep my shoulders covered at all times in public and wear shorts if I am just going on school runs etc.  Would never wear them to the mall or even to our local cold store as I think it's just disrespectful.  I am shocked at what some women (and men) think is acceptable dress for a mall - wouldnt even wear it in the UK out in public.

Floaty dresses are good.  Remember its really really hot in summer - around 50 degrees.  Bring a couple of cardigans as its often freezing in restaurants and malls and you can pop them on for modesty.  Once you get here buy a load of cheap pashmina's (genuine - honestly) from the souk about 1bd each and you can keep one in your bag for when you are chilly or need to cover up.

sorry for bringing up the old topic. just wanna confirm, for guy, short pants around knee level is fine ? Or i can't wear that even in shopping mall ? a little confuse.

KEL - for a guy shorts are fine and  T-Shirts are fine.  The dress code is very relaxed in Bahrain, and you can wear these things almost anywhere you'd like.

Agree with Relwell, guys walk around in sports shorts and sleeveless t-shirts. The clothing here is very relaxed. Only time to dress more conservatively is during Ramadan out of respect.

Just make sure if you are planning to visit a mosque, you have jeans instead of shorts.

If you visit the main mosque in shorts you will be asked to wear a thobe to cover up. I do agree for both males and females it is better to cover up more in a mosque (The tourist ones that you are allowed in obviously)

Is Abaya mandatory to wear in malls or other places?

No

Thank you for your reply