Living and playing in New Orleans

I'm a newbie to the Expat.com site so wanted to introduce myself. I'm Margaret, I'm an Aussie living in New Orleans with my family.  I maintain a family travel adventure blog site, and I am an arts, entertainment and lifestyle writer for one of the daily papers in New Orleans, so feel free to hit me up about any advice about traveling through this area, or even setting up a home here.

MargeQuilter wrote:

I'm a newbie to the Expat.com site so wanted to introduce myself. I'm Margaret, I'm an Aussie living in New Orleans with my family.  I maintain a family travel adventure blog site, and I am an arts, entertainment and lifestyle writer for one of the daily papers in New Orleans, so feel free to hit me up about any advice about traveling through this area, or even setting up a home here.

When is the best time of the year for a Yank from PA to visit New Orleans?
What can you tell me about the cruise ships docked in NOLA?

Now is the best time to visit!  Seriously, anytime between Nov - Jun is the best. The weather is cooler, there are loads of free outdoor festivals and music events every weekend and on some weekday evenings too. Check the dates of when the bigger festivals are on, such as Mardi Gras, French Quarter Fest, Satchmo, Jazz Fest because prices for hotels sky rocket.

With the cruise ships, I have to admit I don't really know anything about them. I tend to avoid cruise ships purely because I get seasick very easily. I can tell you that they dock in the downtown area.  If you have any specific question about them I can easily find out and let you know.