Education and teaching

Here is an interesting article to kick off some discussion!  This relates to the public school education system which the current government is trying to improve. But, this is what they are dealing with ........

http://www.diariolibre.com/dlenglish/20 … tests.html

In a nutshell only 25% of "teachers" who wrote the proficiency test passed it!!!  Unbelievable.

I heard about this on the news planner.  The blind leading the blind! I personally feel planner that anyone who can't afford to send their kids to private school on the Island, should at least do some additional home schooling to build on what the schools provide.  I tell my Dominican girlfriend to encourage her nieces and nephews to read more, what they learn in school is a joke and the few hours they spend there does not provide nothing more than the basics.  If you can afford IPhones and IPads, you can afford to buy some books for your kids or materials to stimulate their young minds! It does not surprise me that many kids do not bother to finish High School, they probably figure what can I really do with this subpar education? Danilo is making a big effort but I wonder if his successor will continue his great project, because his predecessor sure as heck didn't!

Not so easy in a culture where reading and learning is not the norm.

How does a parent with no education home school? Expats maybe but tough for locals.

I believe the gov't is making progress slowly and painfully.

Yes progress is VERY slow but headed in the right direction.
I read somewhere last year that there is on average 1 hour and 15 min of actual teaching that goes on during a school day... now that is sad.
This is why we send our housekeepers kids to a private school. They are actually learning something.

Bob K

I read a long study on this. Morning students average 2 hours 20 minutes of class time, afternoon students average 2 hours 15 minutes! That was a nationwide study conducted about 5 years ago.

So even at your numbers it is embarrassing.

Bob K

Sure is!!!

I'm a 20 year veteran of teaching German in a public high school and am certified ESL, my situation is a bit complicated, but when we finally move to DR, would I be able to teach?

Yes at a private school. The international school of Sosua is near where you are planning on locating and has an excellent reputation and is always interested in good new teachers.

Here is their link:
http://www.issosua.com/

Bob K