My first encounter with the police, in Shenzhen

I was moving to a new apartment, and after my former landlord checked the old one, they returned the 2 months deposit, minus 400 rmb for some paint job, then I went to hire a truck to move all of our stuff, outside our building was one of those old blue trucks parking, a chinese friend helped me talking to them over the mobile phone.
We agreed on the price and loaded all the stuff, there was 3 guys in the truck, and then started to rain, my wife was already in a taxi asking me to get in, I was explaining the guys my new address using google maps, but it was difficult, I dont speak any chinese, they didnt speak any english, so they told me to get in the taxi and that they will follow me. I said ok, then I was trying to explain the taxi driver that the truck was with us, but I dont think he understood.
After 3 blocks, we went straight with the taxi, and the truck turned right, I told the taxi to stop and follow the truck, also he didnt understand, and stopped there and talked to my friend over the phone for 15 very long minutes, after that he seemed to understand what was going on, turned around and tried to follow the blue truck, but they were already gone.
We went to the new place hoping to find them in the way, no use, we didnt see them, my wife then was going to wait in the new place, and me was going back to the old place to wait this guys return, all in the same taxi.
We arrived there, no sign of them, we waited, and then my friend suggested me to call the police.
The driver did the call and they arrived after 30 minutes, I dont know what is with the police here, but he was talking very angry to the taxi driver, then I got scared because I forgot my passport, the driver told me to get in the police car and go with them, I tried to pay him the bill, about 70 yuan, but he didnt accept, I insisted and he only said, sorry, no no. Good guy.
In the police station they told me to sit until they found a guy that spoke english a little bit
He asked me the trucks driver mobile number, I didnt have it, they trucks license plate,  I didnt have it, then he asked me why I didnt get in the truck, I explained the rain, the 3 guys all in the front seat, no room for more people, he nodded, as: what a dumb guy, then told me to wait there, later took me to a room full of monitors, and pointed to one, this is your building, what time this happened? I told them and they found the blue truck when leaving and we in the taxi, we followed the truck for 6 blocks, then the guy, said something like, I know what to do, and he went back with the videos at time even before I hired the truck, and he found the truck parking and the license plate very clear.
Then the police guy told, dont worry and smilled.
He went to another room, and returned later and said, I have found them, they say it was a mistake, they are going back to the old building, but told them to come here to the police station to pick you up.
After 30 minutes, the truck was there to pick me up, but I had to call the police phone number to say it was all ok now, he said it was a mistake and no charge to the guys, the police also called me again to check if everything was ok, I said yes, them guys took me to the new place, and they were very eager that I count and check that everything was there and nothing was missing.
First time with the police and they were very very helpful.
Next time I need to be more careful.

Wow,what a different experience!!!
I was wondering if the trucker was going away with all your stuffs.But finally all was a mistake,that's pretty good.
And hope next time you should be more careful about that.  ;)
But i think you won't moving so frequently,haha,so such thing won't happen again,at least,won't happen recently.Haha.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Wendy

Now I know, I have to be more careful in the future.

next time, take some pictures, and make that a good habit :)

Good thing everything turned out already. I thought they would have gotten away with your stuff.

They didnt count with me going to the police and the surveillance cameras network, I was very impressed by this.
Once they got the cars plate number they input it in a computer and it showed about 3 places they have alredy passed trough, with pictures.
Actually I have felt very safe in Shenzhen, that is one of the things I like the most of living in China.

Hi , You bet you need to be careful,  you were lucky, whilst we weston guy's dont like the camera,on us all the time , if this hadn't been the case here , you would have lost your gear, good that it came to a good conclusion, restores one's faith in human nature.

The law enforcement team here needs a pat here. They are very  attentive and helpful .I have asked them for help many times and they seem very proactive.

This is quite a story!
I have always believed in the goodness of ordinary people no matter what new country i am in.
You should have trusted those drivers in the beginning. You terrified them by getting the police to call them back.

This like an excerpt from "1984" Robert Orwell's classic novel.  In China BIg Brother is always watching.  I have never seen so many cameras as there are here.  I don't know if I am comfortable with my every move being monitored, however, if you are staying within the law then you have nothing to worry about.

better learn a bit of Chinese would have helped you.