Family reunion or not

Greetings!
Firstly I want apologize if this subject have been discussed here, but I have a stupid tablet and it is a real challenge to navigate and search for it, so I will not be upset if you will make copy-paste answer, or just giving the right link. Thank you!

So... my situation:

I am EU citizen, more exactly Romanian. I can stay and work in Malta without restrictions. Now I am in the process of applying for residence as a self-employed. Already have Social Security Number, Tax Number, Trade Licences and VAT number and certificate. Tomorrow I am going to ETC office to take the last papers and applying for residence, in a week or two they promised that I will get it.

BUT

My wife and 2 kids are not EU citizens, more exactly they are citizens of Republic of Moldova. They can come to EU without visa and legally stay no longer than 90 days in a period of 180 days. What are the possibilities for staying them longer than those 90 days. And also I heard that a wife/husband of EU citizen, even is not an EU citizen have right to stay and, even, work in EU ... my doubts is that it is not something like family reunion...

And somebody can give me a link where I can read the LN150/2007 law, please... in English of course   ;)

Thank you for any answer!

P.S. if somebody needs a Russian and Romanian native speaker with good English and strong IT knowledge just let me know, ready for work day and nights  ;)

Hi,

the correct procedure is for you to register as resident in Malta. As you are an EU citizen your non-EU wife and children will be granted residency in Malta as your family members and will have the same rights as an EU citizen. You don't have to apply but you will have to register especially as your family depend on your registration.

As you say there is an agreement between the EU and Moldavia about travel between the two countries so a visa is not required. If they want to stay longer you should take them to the same office where you registered yourself and apply for their residency. You should do this immediatly when they arrive as it can take time to process.

Family reunification is only for third-country nationals applying for their non-EU family members as does not count in your case. For you it is the Freedom of Movement Act for EU citizens within the EU including their family members even if they are non-EU !

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you very much Ricky for the answer! It made me and my wife breath easily!  Promice to write when the everything will be done. They are coming at July 9th...

And don't forget that you all need to show health insurance coverage otherwise you will be going to the Ewans Building for nothing and then the 3 months might not be long enough to sort things out.

If you are working as self-employed you can still contribute to National Insurance for yourself and family but it will need to be organized and paid up for you to use it to apply for residency.

Cheers
Ricky

Dear Ricky,
Thank you for the tip with  "health insurance coverage"... I don't think that I will start to contribute to National Insurance before my family will come, so can you give me some advice about what kind of "health insurance coverage" should I look and this coverage should be for all family including me, or just my wife and kids?
Thank you!

Hi ,

the advantage of social security payments for health insurance is that your whole family is covered through your payments as well.

In the case of private insurance you will have to pay for each family member.

As you don't seem to have health insurance coverage yet that means that you havn't applied for residency yet.

Please let us know if you can just show up to apply for residency saying that you are self-employed. I'm not sure if they might not ask for more details and proof of your financial resources especially when applying also for your non-EU family members.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi,
yes I already applied for residence as a self-employed. But as I said before I had to make some papers: ETC registration, Social Security Number, Taxpayer registration Number, Trade License from Trade department and VAT registration and number (here I declared approximately income per annum, from this income I have to pay taxes 3 times per annum: in April, august and December). With all this papers I went to ID department and applied for residence, the clerk checked the papers,  made a photo of mine, I signed digitally and she said me that in two weeks I will receive a letter with invitation to take the ID card from there... so I guess it means that I applied for residence )))))))))) two weeks expires next Monday.

Cheers,
doomych

P.S.  I forgot about renting contract ... the address ...

Hi ,

thanks for the fast feedback !

Let us know when you actually have your e-residence card just to make sure.

I must admit I'm a bit surprised that the social security number itself is sufficient to show health insurance coverage without actual payments having been made but all the better !

Double-check this that it works for your non-EU family members too !

Cheers
Ricky

So, as last Monday was 3 weeks from I applied for residence and didn't received any confirmation letter, I went to Evans Building to chek it personally. They checked and confirmed that ID card is not ready and I have to wait one or two weeks more. But they gave me the "blue paper", I didn't really understand why... but anyway it is a blue ))))))  paper, a very official one with a lot of security signs, like money ))))  with my photo, number of the future ID card, different signatures and stamps. And there is also this text:

Your application submitted in connection with your residence in Malta is hereby being acknowledged.  In this regard please be informed that the registration process as required by legal notice 191 of 2007 has been completed as from the above-mentioned date and is attested by this document. A Registration Certificate in the form of a card will be issued in due course. You will be notified at a letter when the card is ready for collection.

So... I guess it means that everything is OK... or you think there are place for doubts?

Sure for my non-EU family members I will check it better...

Regards!

So! Everything is ready!  :top:

Today my family got the residence cards, it was much easy!.

If somebody have questions and details not hesitate to ask me!